Discworld

The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Somewhere to say hello, draw up a chair and join us by the fire...

Re: The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Postby Cheri Littlebottom » Sun Apr 12, 2015 02:11 pm

A shy hello to all from under my beard.

I'm 52 and a long-time DW fan. Living in London almost 2 years now and recently made my way to the Broken Drummers to re-connect with other fans. Great to be with real people again :-)

Favourite DW book - Wyrd Sisters (the first one always has a special place)
Favourite non-DW book - Good Omens
Favourite non-STP book - 84 Charing Cross Road

Guaranteed insane, complete with Dried Frog Pills
Cheri Littlebottom

Postby BeetlebroxTheEaterOfBooks » Sun Sep 13, 2015 08:27 pm

My name is Tony I am a 32 year old man child who lives mostly on peanut butter.
I like pancakes and have twomostly functioning legs.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - douglas adams
BeetlebroxTheEaterOfBooks

Postby Orin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 08:21 pm

My name is Orin, I'm 41 y.o.
I'm not proud to admit that I stole a copy of 'Colour of Magic' from my school library about 25 years ago. I've not read a DW novel since.
I still suffer from the guilt of preventing others from reading it. For this I beg your forgiveness.

I visited Wincanton this last week on business and stumbled across Discworld Emporium completely by accident. It was a Wednesday. It was closed. I was disappointed.
I will return this week and by Jove I'll darn well purchase a legitimate copy of the aforementioned and not stop until all DW novels have been digested!! Let my repentance begin....
Its better to look stupid and keep your mouth closed than to open it and prove it.
Orin

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Oct 21, 2015 09:33 pm

Orin wrote:My name is Orin, I'm 41 y.o.
I'm not proud to admit that I stole a copy of 'Colour of Magic' from my school library about 25 years ago. I've not read a DW novel since.
I still suffer from the guilt of preventing others from reading it. For this I beg your forgiveness.

I visited Wincanton this last week on business and stumbled across Discworld Emporium completely by accident. It was a Wednesday. It was closed. I was disappointed.
I will return this week and by Jove I'll darn well purchase a legitimate copy of the aforementioned and not stop until all DW novels have been digested!! Let my repentance begin....
Hi Orin - I envy you, as you have a wonderful, hilarious, addictive Discworld journey ahead of you! You will love the folk of the Emporium and they will joyfully part you from loads of cash in return for lots of wonderful Discwold books, ephemera and goodies! Take your credit card! :wink:

At the very least, make sure you pick up a copy of 'Mort' (in which Death hires an apprentice and goes walkabout), 'Reaper Man' (where Death gets a bad case of life and gets to go dancin'), 'Wyrd Sisters' (where 3 ladies by the name of Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat (note spelling) Garlick, will change your view of witches forever), and 'Guards! Guards!' (where you will learn what it really means to be a policeman and how to go 'proceeding') . . . and that's just for starters!!

Your penance for pinching the CoM all those years ago is: if you should see any Pratchett books in charity shops, carboot sales or similar, you must buy them and then donate them to libraries or as many friends as possible, thereby converting new readers to the Discworld :D Keep this in mind when you stumble on a character called 'Visit-The-Infidel-With-Explanatory-Pamphlets' :wink:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Penfold » Fri Sep 30, 2016 05:39 pm

Hi all. I'm Len, 52 years old, and a professional photographer.

I have been a DW reader and fan since more or less the beginning (I think Equal Rites had just been released although I had started with Colour of Magic). I have lost count of how many times that I have reread the books and will continue to reread them. I don't have any 'favourite' book or character as these change on a regular basis.

I am an active member on the Transworld Forum and hope to become an active member on here as well although I promise not to spam the site with my photographs.
“Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.”
Penfold

Postby Penners » Sat Oct 01, 2016 09:13 pm

Just to let everyone know that I was put on the 'Penfold' account in error having had some difficulty in joining up. The post above does refer to me though.
“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.”
Penners

Postby Alysonne_Garlyck67 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 09:08 pm

Hi - my name is Rosie and I am from St Ives in Cornwall, UK.

Been a long time Discworld fan - first book I read was 'Weird Sisters' in the late eighties and it went from there, really. Favourite set of books are 'The Night Watch' collection, followed very closely by 'The Witches' (who couldn't love Nany Ogg?). Favourite character by far is Sam Vimes - blunt, beleaguered and brilliant. Have a soft spot for Mustrum Ridcully, too. Anyway, pleased to make your acquaintence :-D
Alysonne_Garlyck67

Postby Squigglyx » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:09 am

Warm welcome to Alyson / Rosie.
Grab a seat somewhere, grab yourself a drink and enjoy the ride.
You are about to meet and greet the greatest set of people in the world (that's either the disc or round one)

Enjoy
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Just Giving Link
Liverpool to Leeds Canal
Ride in aid of Cancer Research
Squigglyx

Postby Bwana Mrefu » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:49 am

Hello

I'm back following a long abscence from the forum. Last visit 2012, so just wanted to say hello again.

During this time I have kept up with my book collection and other stuff from the Emporium, just didn't have the time to devote to my stamps.

I'm retired now so hopefully I shall get my collection up to date and may well be active on the trade thread.

I have a lot of the early stuff to trade and will post on the trade thread soon.

Off to the Emporium this Tuesday (7/03/17)

Cheers

Kevan
Nil significat nisi oscillat
Bwana Mrefu

Previous

Return to The Welcome Mat