Discworld

The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Somewhere to say hello, draw up a chair and join us by the fire...

Re: The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Postby archerinwood » Mon Jun 13, 2011 09:10 pm

Welcome, I share the view that cookies may be worth going to the dark side for/ :twisted:
I will be playing Thenardier at the Theatre royal in Margate, Kent from 24th July to 28th. If you are in the area at the time please click the link to get more info:
http://www.theatreroyalmargate.com/~the ... %2Fles-misérables

Thanks
archerinwood

Postby roseroseyrose » Wed Jun 15, 2011 07:53 am

I wrote a huge long message here and the computer ate it! I have to say, I am not very inpressed with this forum so far! It wouldn't let me join, then when I do join, it keeps freezing me out!

Basically I am looking for one of the Assassin Guild scarves for sale in the store, but it says they are sold out or only availible to subscribers. What can I do to get one?
roseroseyrose

Postby rentawitch » Thu Jun 16, 2011 09:34 am

phone or email the shop and see when they will have more stock?
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

Postby steeljam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 03:13 pm

Please Note: This is a No Digressions thread.
Please put welcome messages and comments in the the Welcome thread.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Kneazle1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 04:27 pm

Hello :) My name is Hilary, I work for Plymouth University and study History with the Open University on my final module of a degree (if I pass).

I cannot remember when I read my first Discworld book, although I know it was The Colour of Magic and a friend lent it to me whilst I was still at school about 20 years ago. Needless to say I was instantly hooked :D Witches Abroad is my favourite, Nanny and Greebo hold a special place in my heart. My partner took me to The Cunning Artificer for my last birthday which was a most amazing surprise and rather wallet lightening in a very good way.

I read a fair amount and aside from Discworld I also enjoy Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series, Harry Potter, Tom Holt (I'm reading The Portable Door atm), various history books especially those regarding WWI & WWII, Margaret Atwood especially her dystopian futures, sci fi, fantasy and chick lit to name but a scant few.

I garden sporadically, hate slugs and knit slowly. I have a cat who uses the landing at the top of the stairs as her own personal killing field and has a 'feed me' meow that sounds very much like the Star Trek red alert alarm, most disconcerting at 6am.
Kneazle1

Postby Meowth » Sun Jul 17, 2011 02:18 pm

That is moiii :)

My first Discworld book I read was Carpe Jugulum, when my mum showed me the bits with Hodgesargh, who is an expy of someone she used to know from falconry ;) I read the whole book, and then all the other Witches ones, and then whichever ones I could get my paws on

My favourite Discworld is probably Hogfather, or Sorcery, or Equal Rites, or Feet of Clay......... who can sya :)

I assistant manage a charity shop, but want to get into social work, especially for special needs kids :)
Meowth

Postby RSoak » Mon Jul 18, 2011 02:15 pm

- Middle aged guy (good gravy, already?!?)
- Married, one daughter
- Work as software consultant; global travel is a nice perk
- Recent Texan - so far, so awesome
- Varied interests: reading, sports (used to be more playing than watching, but sadly now about even), games, music
- Been reading Sir Terry for about 15 years after he was recommended by another author
Why do the people that know the least, always know it the loudest?

The enemy of good is perfect.
RSoak

Postby Goody_Sarah » Sat Jul 23, 2011 01:37 am

Sarah here. Goody Sarah (it's what my grandson calls me) in my witch's pointy hat and Sarah Qubla d' Hersheba in my Seamstress's corset. Goodman in what we laughingly call the real world.

Lady of a Certain Age.
Gentlewoman (as in I no longer work for a living; also known as retired).
Reader (in general)
Cat Person (currently owned by a Bengal)
Costumer: personal and semi-pro theatrical
Grandmama (but not your grandpa's blue-haired old lady)
Citizen of the United States of America (and the world) and resident of Northern California.

I've been a science fiction and fantasy fan for more than half a century, and a Fan (in the sense of being involved with conventions and other such activities for a bit over 30. I came to Pratchett fairly late (5-7 years ago?) and originally mostly with the later books -- although of course once hooked I have read everything, at least thrice. Specifically Discworld/Pratchett fandom I met (and to the extent there is anything so formal involved "joined" with the advent of NADWCons in 2009.

My other main hobby is historical and quasi-historical re-enactment. I am costumer for Saucy French Postcard Tableaux Review at the Dickens Christmas Fair in San Francisco.

All else will be revealed in conversation, eventually.
Goody_Sarah

Postby John Dragonfly » Sun Aug 28, 2011 08:28 pm

Hi, my name is John, I was born at a very early age & have spent the intervening years trying to find myself. I am currently 55 years old & still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

My favourite book is "All Of Them" & my favourite character is Commander Vimes. I am married to Jane and her favourite character is Detritus & also Granny Weatherwax although she hopes to be heading down the Nanny Ogg route herself.

We have lived in the foothills of the Pennines for most of our lives (in the shadow of Cori Celeste). The gods smirk on us at regular intervals and occaisionally smile upon us - praise Om! We live happily with our elderly dog & 2 cats, who are definately in charge!

I am a plant trainer (but steer away from geraniums) whilst Jane works for a national charity. :sunny:
Our ambition is to retire early, buy a camper van and tour the world. It's nice to have dreams! :D
"The person who asks many questions may sometimes appear stupid, but the person who asks no questions at all will remain stupid forever."
John Dragonfly

Postby Squigglyx » Sun Aug 28, 2011 09:33 pm

John Dragonfly wrote:Hi, my name is John, ..........
We have lived in the foothills of the Pennines for most of our lives (in the shadow of Cori Celeste). The gods smirk on us at regular intervals and occaisionally smile upon us - praise Om! :D

Which side of the Pennines John (Red or White).
We have a very active Northern branch with members from both sides regularly meeting in Skipton or at someone's house , you just missed a meeting today, but keep your eye on the events forum for the date time and place of the next one.

Oh yes, Welcome to the mad house :)
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Squigglyx

Hi everyone Im getting excited

Postby Mitzykickstart » Wed Sep 07, 2011 05:40 pm

Hi Everyone

Im new to everything on here and will also be new to the Hogswatch Celebrations in November, im soooooooo excited and can't wait aarrrggghhh November is far away.
So if any one has any tips or news or ideas for costumes (by the way is there a theme ???) id be very very grateful.. cant wait cant wait cant wait aaarrgghhh xx

TTFN

Saary

:meow:
Mitzykickstart

Postby Kitten » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:41 am

G'morning all

I come fresh from SADWE - the South African Discworld Event, which chrisboote helped myself and others to organize. At his suggestion, here I am. :)

I'm 24, I love all things Discworld and Terry Pratchett related and I have since I was 13. This is my two minions and myself at sadwe:

I'm even quite keen on Discworld stamps.

That's all for now
@DiscordianKitty
Kitten

Postby MeUrza » Fri Sep 16, 2011 03:16 am

WEll....Howdy, Howdy! My name is Urza I have a boring screen name due to the overwelming coolness of my real name!
I picked up a copy of Small Gods at a discount book shop 16 years ago and have been hooked ever since!
My favorite book is Thief of Time, my favorite character is Susan...or Granny...or Nanny...or DEATH...
Maybe Dibbler...I guess we'll never know!
I am 30 years old. I live in a town the size of a puddle in the middle of Kansas. I work as a stagehand and enjoy collecting hobbies. I will read anything put in front of me and dabble in writing....I own more books than the town library!
I look forward to chatting with everyone about everything! :thumbr:
MeUrza

Postby RJH » Thu Sep 29, 2011 08:47 pm

Well I did it, I registered here at last been so busy that I have never got round to it, a few regulars might know me from the Pratchett forum, so hi to you guys, for those I do not know hello. I am Richard from Yorkshire, UK. Been a massive Pratchett fan for years and a big collector of all things Discworld, thanks to my Grandma who used to run a book shop ( a story for a rainy day).

Any how I run a blog/fansite for Discworld and Lego fans (LEGO is my other major passion in life) and that takes up a lot of my spare time, I won't post a link as don't want to be classed as spam. Any how looking forward to getting to know everyone on here and hope you will have me. :thumbl:
Discworld Fanatics - A fansite run by fans for fans. We bring you news everyday, also we cover reviews and much more. Plus we are the home of the Discworld Reading Guide
RJH

Postby Vimes77 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 05:40 pm

Hi all, am quite new to all this stuff but am assuming I'll see most of you in november at hogswatch. I am still getting introduced to the brilliant works of terry prtachett and am looking forward to meeting everyone that i have heard so much about. see u soon lol!!!
Vimes77

PreviousNext

Return to The Welcome Mat