Discworld

The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Somewhere to say hello, draw up a chair and join us by the fire...

The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Postby Addicted » Sat Apr 23, 2005 07:07 pm

Please use this thread to tell us all about yourself. This thread was previously started on the Kitchen Table but it's easier to start a new thread than shift all the old posts and delete all the digressions (some of the older members may want to post a new introduction!!)

Feel free to tell us whatever you want us all to know (i.e. Name, Age, Where you live, fave book, fave stamp, etc...) and if you want to add a pic then you're welcome to (please see the FAQ thread for info on how to do this)!

Please limit it to one post per person and please don't digress!!
Last edited by Addicted on Sat Apr 23, 2005 07:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Addicted

Postby Ptim » Sat Apr 23, 2005 07:21 pm

As I'm fairly new I'll start!! :D

My name is Tim(I know my alias is cunning! :wink: )

I'm 26. I live in Essex half way between Upminster and Basildon. I'm a tv/film extra.

My favourite character is Rincewind.
Favourite book is Masquerade.
Favourite Stamp is Hogfather

Other interests include Basketball, Movies and Drama.

I have just been appointed Odemeister of The Society!(and not here a month! :shock: )
Last edited by Ptim on Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:14 pm, edited 13 times in total.
I'm Paranoid and logical...
...THEY are after me and I can prove it!
I'm Paranoid and schizophrenic...
...THEY are after us!
I'm Paranoid and Paranoid...
...THEY just want me to think THEY are after me! ;)
Ptim

Location: near Upminster London, UK, The Roundworld, Space, The Multiverse, Third Reality on the Left

Postby Mooresey » Sat Apr 23, 2005 07:21 pm

UPDATED 2017

Life ticks on.

My name is John I am now, 40 years old (3 years since my last update) and live in Church Gresley, Derbyshire

I have been on this forum since day one, number 4 in the members list and was the first person to post anything :D .

I work for Tesco as a backroom shopper/get this/do that/lift this/carry that type person, still there!!!

I have been reading PTerry since I was 22. I don't have many Discworld Items (did have but thats another story) but I did also Collect Star Wars Collectibles, mostly limited editions ( did have but that's the the same story as the other one)

I like various authors and various music.

My favourite character is DEATH
favourite book is Sorcery
& my favourite Stamp so far is the Assassins guild.

I have been to a few Discworld events in the past few years, and met Terry a few times.

I still look in on the forum from time to time but not as much as I used to.
Last edited by Mooresey on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:58 am, edited 13 times in total.
Mooresey

You really wanna know?

Postby MerryKerry » Sat Apr 23, 2005 07:27 pm

:D I'm new so here goes, my name is Kerry, i'm 23 and i live in Darlaston in the West Midlands with my other half, Andrew. I love reading and m*a*s*h and a whole host of other stuff. My favourite Discworld book is Nightwatch, but i love them all. Please be gentle with the new girl.
it's a million to one chance....
MerryKerry

Postby Qvize » Sat Apr 23, 2005 07:38 pm

I'm Shaun, 28 & been here for a while now! I teach secondary Design Technology in King's Lynn, Norfolk and have been reading Pratchett for over 15 years. Favourite book is probably Mort, although Going Postal is giving it a serious run for it's money.

Away from all things Discworld. I enjoy many sports, especially badminton, skiing and windsurfing. I also read a number of other authors, noteably Terry Brooks and Robin Hobb. I have a questionable taste in music and two cats - Humbug and Scampy. Most importantly, I'm engaged to Sarah and we will be married next year in Antigua.
Qvize

Postby Vimesy » Sat Apr 23, 2005 07:40 pm

I am also Shaun.
I have two legs, two arms, a head and a few other things that work fine on a regular basis - cold weather permitting.
There's probably a host of other things about me, but I forgot where I put the list. :D
Will add more when my marbles are found.
Vimesy

Postby Statsman » Sat Apr 23, 2005 07:53 pm

I'm Mark, also been here a while. I work for a bank in their credit card operation as a project manager. I'm married to Mandi & have 2 kids - Megan, 5, and Sam 18 months. We've been married 7 years this year.

Apart from Discworld I like reading most Fantasy & Sci-Fi, watching Southend United, Rugby & music (Rock by preference).

Favourite books: the Tiffany ones & Going Postal (bit obvious huh :? )

No real favourite character akthough the Librarian is good.

Oh and welcome Kerry. :)
Last edited by Statsman on Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes it will be in this brown envelope, I know it will.... Oh maybe not
Statsman

Postby stu d'apples » Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:10 pm

My name is Mark. I am 22.

Have been into Terry since around the time soul music was published may have been earlier, I just remember a news paper article at that time mentioning that book. The first DW book I actually read was reaper man.

favourite books are Mort, Small Gods, Reaper Man, Men At Arms and Jingo .

Favourite covers: Reaper Man and Small Gods.

Away from DW i am into history, punk music, tv, films, football, and a bit of squash.
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'm feeling more violet, Everyday without you
stu d'apples

Postby steeljam » Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:15 pm

Steven Elliott James (hence steeljam)
I'm 55 married with two kids (adults) and I live in East Barnet, North London.

After 30 years working with computers and designing and developing applications I was made redundant. I now manage the data processing for an outsource company. All the people who work for me are in Mumbai, Bangalore or Manila.

I enjoy most literature. As well as Terry's next book I also wait with eagerness for those of Jasper Fforde and Lindsey Davis. I started reading SciFi in 1963 when I picked up a book with an interesting cover (Asimov's Foundation) which was repeated with my first book by Terry. I have recently started scuba diving. My wife isn't interested in any aspect of discword but we do share a passion for genealogy. If I could I would love to spend a year in Japan travelling around.
Last edited by steeljam on Fri Jan 13, 2006 07:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby chudds » Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:17 pm

Hi I am Steve Civil Servant (I know boring)

Reading PTerry since the start Have known Bernard since before discworld!! (so yes I am old before Drutte says anything).

Intrests like wine and read all kinds of SF/Fantasy. (I aslo play D&D)
Last edited by chudds on Sat Jan 07, 2006 05:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a world of changing values...........how much is something worth?
chudds

Postby Rat » Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:53 pm

Have been reading TP since 1988 and first saw him 'Live' at Cheltenham Literature Festival where he was talking about the use of the Figgin in modern literature.

I have most of the Clarecraft pieces, including the original Ruby & Detritus models as well as nearly all Bernard's models.

My wife Ann and I emigrated to New Zealand in January of this year having lived in Wolverhampton for the last 15 years. This makes getting hold of the larger pieces from Bernard a little difficult as the postage costs are HUGE!

I have started collecting the stamps but am limiting my collecting to getting a couple of stamps of each type, without all the sports, as we are saving to build our own house out here.

Favourite books - Mort, Reaperman & Nightwatch
Rat

Postby Addicted » Sat Apr 23, 2005 09:07 pm

Might as well introduce myself!

My name's Dave and I'm 23 yrs old. I'm happily single and have a 2 and a half year old daughtercalled Kaci, and I live in wonderful Essex

I've been reading TP books for a few years now but have only recently started reading the books outside of the Discworld series. I have also been collecting the Discworld stamps since just after they first appeared.

I am also one of the Discworld Stamps forum moderators so if you have any questions or problems then feel free to send me a PM (Private message) and I'll try my best to help. :D

p.s. Apparantly I flirt too much... is that possible?!? :wink:
Last edited by Addicted on Mon Mar 19, 2007 06:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Addicted

Postby Cara » Sat Apr 23, 2005 09:25 pm

I'm Cara and I'm 31.
I moved up here from Wiltshire last year to train as an Occupational Therapist.
Erm...I'm also quite attached to the colour purple.
Cara

Postby Pat » Sat Apr 23, 2005 09:27 pm

Pat

Lecturer in Pathology at Leeds School of Medicine

48. Two kids. Married to a woman who describes herself as being a single mother with three kids...

Interests other than Discworld: sci-fi, films, music (They Might Be Giants, Barenaked Ladies, Hootie & The Blowfish, Al Stewart, Judie Tzuke, Gilbert & Sullivan), puzzles, games, gadgets, Warhammer 40K (more for the building and painting than the gaming). Big fan of Bernards work, especially the 3-d stuff.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby NiDochartaigh » Sat Apr 23, 2005 09:35 pm

I think it is time I updated this...
My name is still Aine I'm now 31and a bit.

Living and working in the Cardiff area but origionally from N.Ireland and have spent about nine years in Scotland studying Naval Architecture and then joining the wide world of work.

Although still working for the Maritime & Coastguard agency I am now working from the Cardiff office, which means I now live in Wales - closer to Wincanton and most of you lot that tend to meet up every now and then.

I found myself here when the thud froum transfered over, I got attached/addicted (in more than one way) and have never left.
I used to collect the little sticky bits of paper but gave it up to complete my unreal estate collection. Still have a set of the Assassin stamps though...
Last edited by NiDochartaigh on Tue Mar 16, 2010 05:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.
NiDochartaigh

Next

Return to The Welcome Mat