Discworld

The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Somewhere to say hello, draw up a chair and join us by the fire...

LBEs to trade or sell - NO DIGRESSIONS

Postby d_spencer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Hello
I am a newly beginning collector of these stamps and so, I was wondering whether anyone would be able to help me start, perhaps by suggesting the best stamps to start with and where I can acquire them?
Thanks
d_spencer

Re: The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Postby Kejik » Wed Feb 20, 2013 06:26 pm

Hello,

My name is Abigail, I'm in my early thirties and live in France.

Have been a TP fan since ten or so years and discovered Winky only last year, for real. At first, was supposed to be a one and only trip for Spring Fling but finally turned up so joyful that I came back for more.

My favorite book : the Tiffanys
My favorite character : Granny Weatherwax (just after Bernard, obviously) and the Wee Freemen

Hobbies : cats, cats and cats. Plenty of cats. More cats ! Always cats ! CATS ! And video games, SF films, books (don't ever let me wander in a bookshop with a credit card. Could turn out you would never find me again)...

Actually unemployed (praise the Lord !), I'm trying to write my own book. Maybe one day, this post will be worth millions... Or maybe not. You just never know.

And that's basically who I am.

Thank you for reading, you may now go back to your normal activities.
Kejik

Im New

Postby verynaughtyamy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 08:08 pm

Hi everyone,im a very naughty Amy from Bristol im 57,single divorced,love Terrys Books,also computers/family tree/photography,and meeting adventourous Folk.
Please contact me if you live near Bristol,and have a good chat,love Amy,x
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
verynaughtyamy

Re:

Postby verynaughtyamy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 08:09 pm

Ptim wrote:As I'm fairly new I'll start!! :D

My name is Tim(I know my alias is cunning! :wink: )

I'm 26. I live in Essex half way between Upminster and Basildon. I'm a tv/film extra.

My favourite character is Rincewind.
Favourite book is Masquerade.
Favourite Stamp is Hogfather

Other interests include Basketball, Movies and Drama.

I have just been appointed Odemeister of The Society!(and not here a month! :shock: )
you look lovely,Amy,xx
verynaughtyamy

Postby verynaughtyamy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 04:59 pm

Wow,a reply from a lovely looking,smartly dressed man,oh my,luv Amy xx
verynaughtyamy

Postby hansolobiker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 01:26 pm

Hi Amy 'waves'.Welcome to the mad house!x
....And forgiveness walks at my side!
hansolobiker

Hello All

Postby Brodie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 01:13 pm

Hello everyone,

Long time Discworld fan, first time poster.
After much uhming and ahring (not to mention several promises to the wife) i have purchased the "Ankh Morpork Board Game Deluxe Edition", i've also nabbed myself "A Place In The Shades" (Hello to all my fellow Treacle Mine Road neighbours!).
Both items should be arriving shortly, i cant wait!

I am also teetering on the fence as to whether or not to get the Map of Ankh Morepork book, but would rather have the interactive version of it if it ever comes out for us Android users!

Anyway hello everyone, glad to join you.

Brodie
Brodie

Postby Fanny Chopsticks » Sun Mar 31, 2013 09:06 pm

Hello Pratchett People!

I'm 44 and from Nottingham. I've been a Pratchett fan since the late 80s. In fact, when Terry came to Waterstones in Nottingham in the early 90s, I queued for him to sign one book but left all the others at the shop in the hope that he'd sign the lot (which he kindly did!) but when I split up with the boyfriend-at-that-time he got custody of the cats and the Pratchett books - SOB!!!!!!
Husband bought me the Almanac for Christmas - brilliant!

I didn't even know about about the Discworld Emporium until I discovered it in a West Country brochure on Stuff To Do while on holiday last June. As soon as I knew of its existence, I couldn't rest until I finally got to visit! It's fantastic! If you haven't been there: make the effort!

I bought (amongst other essential items) an egg with 'Freedom, Truth, Justice and Reasonably Priced Love' on it! It is sitting here on my desk before me right now!! Oh, and a nice reuseable 'Thieves Guild' bag which i use often and people give me funny looks when they see it (am I too old for this??).

My favourite character is Sam Vimes, and I have a soft spot for Vetenari.
My favourite book is Going Postal - my brother is a postie and the Postman's Walk made me laugh out loud. That aside, I love the Vimes books generally, especially Night Watch.

But today is Easter Sunday and I'm enjoying, right now, my first glass of red for 40 days and feeling very mellow!

Happy Easter!
Fanny Chopsticks

Re: Re:

Postby Ptim » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:19 pm

verynaughtyamy wrote:
Ptim wrote:As I'm fairly new I'll start!! :D

My name is Tim(I know my alias is cunning! :wink: )

I'm 26. I live in Essex half way between Upminster and Basildon. I'm a tv/film extra.

My favourite character is Rincewind.
Favourite book is Masquerade.
Favourite Stamp is Hogfather

Other interests include Basketball, Movies and Drama.

I have just been appointed Odemeister of The Society!(and not here a month! :shock: )
you look lovely,Amy,xx

Dear Gods that's an old post!

I'm now 34. I live in London...and...the rest is the same...

...not changing the picture as I look better in it than I do now! :wink:
Ptim

Location: near Upminster London, UK, The Roundworld, Space, The Multiverse, Third Reality on the Left

Postby Square12 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 09:40 pm

32 British male.
Real name Al
English teacher for foreigners (used the ankh morpork map in class today with some students to practise direction giving and following :) )
Currently living in Madrid but going to be moving back to Kent, U.K. Soon
Fave characters: Death, Buggy Swires, any of the Nac Mac Feegles, Vimes, The Librarian and Granny Weatherwax
Fave Discworld books: Monstrous Regiment, Reaper Man, Hogfather, Jingo
Fave book of all time ever: Good Omens (my copy is über-dog-eared and will never get lent to anyone ever)
Errrm can't think of anything else might add a pic later if I can be bothered
Square12

Postby Grace » Sat May 11, 2013 08:47 am

Hi,

I was told that I must register on this forum, so here I am ;)
Some of you had a chance to meet me recently as thanks to Chris and Rob (and then some more great people who helped with everything else) I was able to attend Spring Fling ;)

I loved meeting all of you and I would like to invite everyone to Poland, but I guess I'll talk about it in a separate toppic ;)

More about me?
I never know where to start ;)
I have been running Pratchett.pl website for a few years now, also our facebook fanpage - in case anyone liked to 'like' it ;)

Most of my life is dedicated to the Polish fandom and those pages.
When I don't work on that I work for Capgemini as IT Incident Coordinator. Nothing really exciting comparing to what I do when I'm back at home, which still for many people sounds weird.
Fortunately at least 2 of my colleagues at work do understand and they treat me as a good source of information on all the new coming books and other stuff.

As some of you may heard or read few lines before I organize meeting and conventions ;)
I appologize to everyone who is mad that I have never mentioned that anywhere else than our Polish site. I promise to let you know about everything we do in case anyone was interested in visiting us ;)

I am sorry I was quite shy and I did not talk to most of you as I wanted. A whole trip was really surprising and the whole idea was something completely new. I was watching, listening, absorbing and I promise to be more like I am in Poland next time ;)
Check our Polish FanPages: www.Pratchett.pl and www.facebook.com/wwwpratchettpl
Grace

Postby Raafling » Wed May 29, 2013 07:28 pm

Hello everybody!

I'm Raafling, also known as Mirre during my daily life ^^ I'm 21 years old and been reading Discworld for about five years now I think. I have several favourites within the series, but shockingly the one that holds a special place in my heart is not a Discworld novel at all, but Good Omens. I've been to three conventions: two Dutch ones and one German and am making plans to see many more indeed so I thought it was high time I joined this forum. ^^
Raafling

Postby Ginny Sto Helit » Thu May 30, 2013 01:39 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm Virginia, but I prefer be called "Ginny". I was born in Barcelona in 1987. Actually I'm 26 years old.
Soon I am moving to Harrold, Bedfordshire in UK to start a new life. I'm technical of natural therapies and massage.
I hope to go to many events discworld, because where I live Discworld is not very popular.
My first contact with Discworld was when i was nine playing a Sega Saturn videogame "Discworld II Missing pressumed!?". After playing this game I was looking information about it and I discovered the books.

Favorite Book: Mort, Witches Arroad
Favorite character: Susan Sto Helit, DEATH
Favorite wizard: Rincewind
Favorite witch: ALL

I also like music (Rock, Metal, Blues, Country, Jazz...) cinema, Role games, and videogames (classic games better). I like arts, photography and drawing are my favorites.
I love read to Terry Pratchett, but Robin Cook, and Edgar Allan Poe are on my favorites writters too!

I'm happy to be here, and i hope to make new friends to share this great hobby!
Nice to meet you all! ^_^
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
"No. Men should die for lies. But the truth is too precious to die for."
Ginny Sto Helit

Postby Baia » Thu Jun 06, 2013 06:40 pm

Hi Everyone, I'm Janice aka Baia to my family. I just turned 69 years old and have been reading TP for at least 10 years.
Witches Abroad was my first and probably my favorite. A friend who is a high school science teacher gave it to me. One of her students had given it to her. Now we are both major fans. My first compulsive act of acquisition was to accumulate all publications to date and read them as fast as I could. Now I pre-order new publications as they are announced. Last year I was privileged to see and hear Sir Terry at Town Hall in Seattle where I live. Although I officially retired from my work in medical research last year and did some world travel, I am back at my old job for a while to do some specific data collection. Life is pretty busy.
As a child, I enjoyed all the usual fairy tales and read all of the Lang colored fairy books from the public library. (I own them all now thanks to the Folio Society!) Then I graduated to fantasy and sci fi in junior high. The field was pretty spare then and so I drifted away to the usual classics to prepare for college. I enjoyed reading Chinese and Japanese literature in translation for a while and then when my children were growing up, I found that the children's literature of that time was vastly superior to the new adult literature that was coming onto the market. After my kids grew up and away, I started in on mystery reading which I still enjoy, particularly historical mysteries. Right now I'm getting caught up with Lindsey Davis's M.D. Falco series and starting in on Sharan Newman's new series with a China connection set in Portland, OR. in the 19th century.
My grandson is 11 now and I have been gradually introducing him to TP through DVDs. He is a big reader, but I haven't shared any of my books with him yet and watching together and getting him accustomed to my favorite fictional characters through film is a sharing experience that I cherish.
I guess that is more than enough sharing for me today.
Baia

Postby rentawitch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 03:38 pm

Welcome to the loony bin Baia. Please feel free to leave your sanity in the bucket by the door, your credit card details with the emporium, then pull up a stool and call the cat a Barsteward! :)
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

PreviousNext

Return to The Welcome Mat