Discworld

The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Somewhere to say hello, draw up a chair and join us by the fire...

Re: The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Postby Gaspode » Sat Jul 20, 2013 02:15 pm

Hi. Again

The names Barrie.
For years i used to be addicted to the Discworld. Even to the point of becoming the Worlds only Discworld Jeweller. Attending all and every event, even driving from home to wincanton just for a couple of hours for a cup of tea and a few insults (friendly ones of course)

Unfortunately I my addiction became too much for me and because of my attempts to be CMOT in 'real life' I had to disappear.

Well a couple of years and some expensive treatments later, I have changed my job back to being a service engineer who spends lonely nights away from home in hotels. So I packed my kindle (other electronic reading devices may be available) and started reading again.
First Intresting times then Mort followed by

Im hoping to keep my doses of Discworld down to one or two a week, but as I'm posting here dont bet on it

Just for those who dont know me, I'm an incredibly handsome 50 year old with the body of a teenager (its in a box somewhere) my hair has started to recede in some places but is more noticeable in others.
I still make the odd bit of jewellery, but most of my spare time goes on driving and keeping a 1968 mk2 cortina running.
Oh and I still think I'm special.
Gaspode

Postby rentawitch » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:25 am

indeed Barry, very 'special' :)

Welcome back :)
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

Postby Obliquesque » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Hello. :-)

I was directed here from another discussion forum by (I'm guessing) a member who empathized with my lack of enthusiastic Discworld discourse partners. I hope you don't mind a foreign emissary! I looked around a bit and almost decided not to join (I'm no philatelist, despite my father-in-law's best efforts to entice-- prefer pins, really...), but when I clicked on "Discworld Stamps" and realized, oh hey, it's not just an online community, there's really an actual physical shop that I could actually physically visit, and people are actually physically involved in this, and, and, and... well. I got a bit excited. Not that it's terribly likely that I will be able to "actually physically" ANYthing-- the mere existence in potentia suffices, for me.

So here I am! Hope that's okay. :-)

I'm a 29-year-old married female living in the US with my English husband. Childless by choice, we share our lives with a cat whose disdain for all human beings is mitigated only by her desperate need to occasionally cuddle. For the last four years, I've owned a small business where I make tiny cakes with complicated and often oddly specific themes (such as a pair of elderly naked cyclists, a murder mystery graduation party, MST3K birthday or pediatric dentistry. No Terry Pratchett ones yet, however, to my private dismay).

The first book I read by Terry Pratchett was Good Omens. I literally wore out my copy before I even started looking for other books by him, I loved it so much. I had avoided Discworld for years, because I didn't want to get involved with some huge complicated convoluted cult of fantasy novels-- I'd been burned before by series like Wheel of Time, which just... petered out for me, left me bored and malcontent. Then, in a strange old secondhand book shop... I came across Making Money.

After devouring every salubrious sentence, I was immediately on the prowl for more. I picked up Thud! next-- because on the cover of my copy of Making Money, it said "by the author of Thud! and Going Postal", so I figured Thud! was the "first" in the series. I think I read the entire thing with a slightly puzzled look on my face. Go back in your mind to when you first picked up a Discworld novel. Consider going from that state of unknowing n00bness, to splashing unawares into Making Money, to innocently progressing to Thud! for a second. Ye gods, was I confused... but intrigued, like a homeschooled teenager who, having just experimented for the first spine-tingling time with french kissing, flips to the middle of a book by some guy named Vatsyayana.

And now, here I be. I have nearly all the Discworld books in print form (I have quite a few of them on audio, so that I can read while I drive, and am slowly building my Kindle collection as well). My least favorite use Rincewind as the main character (sacrilege, I know), but I absolutely adore all the others. I think the ones with Vimes are the richest and best-written, the ones with Death the most poignant and introspective, the ones with Moist the most fast-paced and fascinating, and the ones with the witches the easiest and most fun. I love how the characters regularly overlap within the series, even subtly-- like the dwarfs going down to "ask Mistress Garlick the witch how you stopped spelling recommendation" in Guards! Guards!. Monstrous Regiment, Small Gods and Mort are probably my favorites, but it's very hard to narrow it down to even three.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I may be a Yank but I'm totally committed! I haven't been to any gatherings, this is the first online community I've joined, I've never cosplayed, I won't crochet an A'Tuin and I don't have all the spin-offs (yet), but I have immense respect and love for the work Sir Terry has put into these books, and I feel like my life has been significantly enriched for reading them. I hope to enrich it further by taking the plunge into the more social aspects of this infatuation.

Thanks for bearing with me! I'm off now to do the avatar/profile thing properly (I hope).
“People who didn't need people needed people around to know that they were the kind of people who didn't need people.”

--Maskerade
Obliquesque

Postby Frank the Younger » Wed Aug 21, 2013 09:42 am

Just thought I'd share a picture of how the mighty has fallen. Or a fat old git has fallen over. :D
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35745199/2013-08-19%2022.27.24.jpg

Actually I fell over outside the Alhambra, in Granada and broke both radial heads (bones in the elbow) and a very small bone in my wrist. Also cut and bruised my right knee but managed to avoid my left knee where I had the operation. That was not something I thought about on the way down I obviously did it automatically.
Actually fractured might be a better word but now I’m wearing TWO slings and a wrist splint (see picture).
The ladies in the hospital had great fun trying to work out if they could work out a system with one sling. I think I was comedy injury of the day. :)
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby davefromdiswo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 08:02 am

Hi,my names Dave,im from North West Bristol,im a very young 65,only just retired.
I have been reading Terry Pratchett books for many years,and have all his books,apart from some Diarys.
My favourite Book is Truckers and of course Diggers and Wings,my favourite character in Discworld Books is Rincewold,followed closely by DEATH.
I visited The Discworld Emporium on 29th August 2013,it was actualy closed,but a kind lady lets me in,whereby I bought a few things including a lovely Print for The World of Poo.
The Lady also recommending a lovely Pub in Wincanton,The Nog Inn,realy nice old Pub,great Beer and food.
I want to get more involved with the Discworld Scene,would like to meet or know others as well,ie conventions etc,or another possible trip to Wincanton.
Im not realy into collecting Discworld Artifacts as such,but have been tempted,but I do love the prints,and would buy First Edition Books if I could afford them.
My main objective at moment is to finaly get all the Diarys which are getting more exspensive,i know.
Point of interest--many years ago I went to a Book signing for Going Postal,had a chat with Terry,and asked him if that some time in the future there would be a Railway on Discworld----His answer was "possibly some time in the future"-and now a book is coming about the Railway,
I guess Stagecoach to Railway was an obvious progression------
My hobbies apart from reading are my Family Tree,and Metal Detecting.
There you go,thats a bit about me,Dave
davefromdiswo

Postby Katherine75 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 07:38 pm

Hello,
I'm Katherine. I'm a nurse, born in '75 (hence imaginative username) who has recently moved sort of near Wincanton - about 40 mins away. I heard about this town in Feb and thought it sounded wonderfully bonkers, however haven't had the chance to visit yet. I moved nearby and will be having a visit in a couple of weeks as well as attending the Hogsmeade celebrations with my partner later on in the year (she's not exactly a fan but liked Small Gods).
Small Gods was an excellent book and his most memorable for me but I loved the Wyrrd Sisters and Monsterous Regiment (I hope we get to see some of those characters again). I also like scenes in any book where Vetinari gets a chance to talk.
What I love about his books is the excellent characterisation of everyone including believable fully fleshed out female characters.
Ive currently just started to read The Long Earth, impressed so far.
:sunny:
Katherine75

Postby chrisboote » Tue Sep 17, 2013 04:07 pm

HogsWATCH Katherine 8-)
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby pebble » Wed Sep 18, 2013 09:13 pm

Hi, I'm Chris and I've been an addict for far more years than I would like to admit, over the last few years I have been passing on a love for discworld to my son starting off with wheres my cow and then bedtimes sort of took off from there. He even took his copy of WMC into school to explain to his friends who Vimes was on world book day seeing as he was dressed as him.

We're based in South Wales and having found this wonderful forum and all you chaps and chapesses are over the moon to find out about events in Wincanton. Our plan is to join you for Hogswatch this year as part of my sons treat, as it will be his 11th birthday on the 29th and he would much rather come and experiance Hogswatch with similarly minded fans, than his usual party.
pebble

Postby Katherine75 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 09:18 pm

chrisboote wrote:HogsWATCH Katherine 8-)

Lol, ah yes. :D
Katherine75

Postby Zazenmind » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:52 pm

Hi there, thank you for accepting me onto your forum.
So here's a little bit about me ...
I have been reading TP books for some 20 yrs now and just love the witches, my introduction to discworld was via Witches abroad, ( the first book that ever made me laugh out loud ! ) and I only bought it because my plane was delayed ! Right there PTerry had me hooked :-)
In fact loving discworld was one of the things that brought me and my hubby together. It's not often one meets someone that understands the term oook ;-)
I live here in rainy Wales,with my hubby who wishes he was Vimes and my two boys, the younger of which is a fan too, as such we are off to Wincanton for Hogswatch at the weekend .
I hope to see some of you there...
Well that's enough about me, because I'm looking forward to getting to know you .
X
Zazenmind

Postby parf » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:54 pm

hello all,
long time reader first time forum...er ,
basically the reason i`m here is because of reb (i hope thats right) ,
she was the lovely person (who works in the cunning articifer) who helped my get my missing dwarf for a thud set
i found in my mums loft recently .
My fiancee has just bought me the ankh morpork board game and i`m trying to get them all ,
as my friends and I have really loved playing them as of late .
My friends are going to get me the witches board game and hopefully there will be more guards ones released soon .
I`m from liverpool and , i`ve read discworld since i was 14 (18 years ago) and i`m always pleasantly
surprised by the wonderful nature of the people who like this universe . (especially reb so thank you again reb )
“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
parf

Hello

Postby Jo-S-K66 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:35 am

Hello all, my name is Jo 40 something racing towards 50 something getting married May 2014 . Mum of 4 with large age gaps oldest 27 youngest 5 guardian to two extra(always room for a little 'un in our house). Scouser now living in lovely North Wales living the quiet life having been there done that got a cuboard full of T-shirts. Enjoy a good laugh ,love the Discworld.
Favorite charactors Nanny Ogg because she is me, and Granny Weatherwax because she is who i want to be.
Jo-S-K66

Re: Hello

Postby Vimesisnottoooldforme » Sun Apr 13, 2014 07:50 pm

Hi Jo,

We're also getting married but May next year and its a Discworld wedding. Ive been brought up on Discworld but didnt discover the fandom until we , oved to Somerset and discovered the emporium. This will be our first Spring Fling and unlike Hogswatch we are leaving our two year old at home this time... for proper merryment. I love Nanny Ogg but am utterly obsessed with the Nights Watch and Vimes!! So hello!
Hanna x
Vimesisnottoooldforme

Postby Garward the Grim » Mon Jun 16, 2014 09:45 am

Hi I'm Gary. I'm a self-confessed smartarse from Falkirk. I'm 27 and have a passion for music, languages and Spaghetti Westerns. I currently work for the government but I'm leaving in a few months to go back to college to do Electrical Engineering. Been a Pratchett fan since I was about 13 and my favourite in the Discworld series is Equal Rites. I used to love using forums for my geek-fix, but no one seems to use them anymore thanks to social media. Is anybody here?
Garward the Grim

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Mon Jun 16, 2014 09:27 pm

In a word yes, and there is also a very active one here. http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/forum/index.php :mrgreen:
Last edited by Whos Wee Dug on Wed Jun 18, 2014 06:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Welcome Mat