Discworld

The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Somewhere to say hello, draw up a chair and join us by the fire...

Postby Jaunty Angle » Thu Aug 04, 2005 08:50 pm

I'm also from the harper collins board, it may be best for me not to go back.
Not just yet, can't be arsed.
Jaunty Angle

Postby Silverfox » Thu Aug 04, 2005 09:33 pm

Hi I'm Lesley, I'm a part time physio assistant working with clients with brain injury, MS. MD, MND and Learning Disabilities.

I'm 58 yo and married for the past 31 years, I have 3 dogs, 2 cats and a pony. I live not too far from Wincanton and hope to join you there one of these days.

I've been reading PTerry for more years than I care to remember and love all the Discworld books though I think my favourite book will always be Good Omens. My favourite characters are Greebo and Cmdr Vimes.

I enjoy SF, fantasy, mystery and almost any books on animal phsycology.

Although my signature is supposed to be amusing I do count my blessings on a daily basis.
Everyday.
I think about dying.
About disease, starvation,
violence, terrorism, war,
the end of the world.
It helps keep my mind off things.
R. McGough
Silverfox

Postby Temple Maiden » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:35 pm

Hi, my name is Julie, I'm 32 and a music teacher. I have a four year old daughter who is starting school this September.

Some of you from the Harper Collins site may recognise the username. I debated whether or not to register under another one, but decided I have no reason to hide so I'd use the same one - I was quite pleased with it when I thought it up way back LAST August!!

Anyway, just to say, some of what you might have heard about me is true, some is exaggerated and some is downright lies.

And, if you're not from the HC site and you don't know what I'm talking about, best not to ask - you really don't want to know :D :D :D

Anyway, been reading TP since I was 18.

I don't have a favourite book or quote or character - really could not narrow it down to one, and to list ALL my favourites would take all night.

I also like Anne McCaffrey, Star Trek, Blackadder, Red Dwarf, and much much more.

That'll do for now - I'll go and do a bit of reading - find out what you're all about here.
Temple Maiden

Postby Ellie » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:42 pm

Hello, I am Ellie Maries, another one from the Harper Collins board.
I am 24 and I'm currently living in London.

I've been reading Discworld for a long time now. The books caught my eye in my local bookshop and I decided to buy The Colour of Magic, then I got addicted.
I’m currently seeking professional help to overcome my addiction.
(A little humour to break the ice).

I have nothing else important to say, I may bore you to death. And I sometimes go on forever, but I will now restrain myself.
:D
[E][L][L][I][E]
Ellie

Postby TamyraMcG » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:06 pm

Hello, I'm Tamyra from Minnesota via the Harper/Collins board, I registered back in June when I read Going Postal and checked out the stamps. I think they are cool, but I have such limited space in my house I will have to admire them from afar ( or maybe not).

I haven't "left" the other board, but it is hard to know why. :? I have to say most of my personal favorite posters have found their way here and I haven't felt "part" of the core community there as yet.

I am 45, married for almost 18 years( our anniversary is later this month) to a truck driver who is on the road for weeks and weeks at a time, so I have all the disadvantages of being married and alone at the same time, but it is sure fun when he gets home. We are childless, but have a white DSH and a black and white 1/2 collie w/ a curly tail and a fairly short coat, both originally male. Solomon is the cat, his Ork name is Shagrat, Albert is the dog, his Ork name is Pizurk. Thank you Draco Nobilis for that link, it made me laugh.

I first read Terry Pratchett a dozen years or so ago, but we moved soon after and I didn't remember the name of the book or the author( only Great A'Tuin and Granny Weatherwax) so it wasn't until I found a new book by Robert Lynn Asprin that mentioned Discworld last year that I truely became a fan. I am grateful that I have been fortunate to find a favorite author at a time when almost all of his books have been re-released and I could afford to buy them. They have helped me weather some pretty rough circumstances and have been a highlight in my life.

I was an art major in college at UMD( U of Minnesota, Duluth), which has actually helped me in my job of inspecting frozen french fries. At least I stay cool most days.

I hope I can contribute to this forum, it sure seems like a very nice place.
TamyraMcG

Postby prettybutterfly » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:23 pm

Hi,
I'm Jess, or prettybutterfly, I am from the HP boards too, I was considering leaving because I became board with it but then found this site! I live in Preston but am actually from the MIdlands, uk I'm 21 and studying German and politics. Erm that's pretty much it :)
"I love my geek"
prettybutterfly

Postby Dragonmother » Fri Aug 05, 2005 01:26 am

HI, I'm happy to be here! Once upon a time I posted on the Harper Collins board... 'nuff said about that.
I miss the level of intelligence there. I see abundant evidence of same on this board, big sigh of relief.
I am a middle-aged mother of two and two-halves children, and a woodworker by proclivity and sometimes trade. I won't post my website right away because it's a sales site, and I want to make sure that's okay first!
Aside from the kids- gorgeous, talented, and kind to animals and old ladies- there's a husband around here somewhere, and no less than TEN (10) cats... Hope no one is allergic, there is cat hair everywhere!
I first ran across Terry Pratchett, geeze, I can't remember actually. But his ideas have often changed the way I see an issue of one kind or another. "Small Gods" for example, and we've celebrated Hogfather's Day for three years in a row, now. The Skeletal Hogfather with the cushion tucked under his ribs- that was fun to make for the grotto. And the weeing Boar pig. We quickly realised that an eternally weeing piggie would use up a LOT of beer- so it wee'd on the hours and half-hours instead, which was a handy way of telling time :)
Dragonmother

Postby Peter the Bass » Fri Aug 05, 2005 06:30 am

Well I have been posting anyway but I'd best not be rude.
My name's Peter, I'm 30 (at the moment) and Come from Weston super Mare in the good ol South West. I first read PTerry when I was at university (Mort) and thoroughly enjoyed it so once I was working, bought the entire series over the course of a few months and sadly have been hooked ever since. My Favourite is a real toughie Anything with the Wizards, or the Watch, or Death, or the Witches would do, though Going Postal is fairly high up on the list.

BTW you would have seen me at CCDE 2005 as I was the Duck Man in the Maskerade. I was only in it for the Shilling but now have a lovely Detritus model on my Shelf for winning the most accurate reproduction award ( I think)

That's it, see you soonish
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum
Peter the Bass

Postby gmuno » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:27 am

Hello, my name is Georg and i'm from Oberscheinfeld, a small village in northern Bavaria. I'm currently 25 years old, single (again) and got a job as civil servant. I found this page through Harper Collins, too (still active, but i think this will change).
7 years ago i needed a book really fast, the only one i found of fantasy was Reaperman and so everything started. Currently i'm reading Guards, Guards again, i like Vimes attitude about innocence, comes with the job :wink: .

I wish you a nice weekend :D
"Humans are just a dying out sidebranch of evolution." - Please excuse my typos
Wennsd mansd dasd wos wasd, stelld si nacherd bloos naus, dasd a Debb gwenn bisd
gmuno

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:08 am

Hi everyone!

I've just come from HC as I just pointed out but enough about that.

I've only ever had one favourite author and that is Terry Pratchett. I would love to discuss his books among other things here, with friendly people who have a good sense of humour. :D

I look forward very much to discussing the books among other things with the community here! :D
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'

Join the fun!
http://doughnutvalley.proboards33.com/
Lieutenant Fatman

Postby Tex » Fri Aug 05, 2005 05:26 pm

Howdy folks,

Just call me Tex. I've collected Roundworld stamps for many years. I recently discovered Discworld stamps and now I only have to have more of them. They're very beautiful, and the whole Discworld thing sounds very interesting. Now I'm hooked, so I guess I should read one of the books! I will read the books, I just have to figure out where to start - there are so many of them.

I work in an office in front of the computer all day. When I'm not at work I'm working on my stamp collection or out riding all over central Texas on my bicycle. Some other favorite things include The Lord of the Rings, Dr. Who, and Hitchhickers Guide. All British, strangely enough. Now that I think about it, even my bicycle is British (Ron Cooper).
Tex

Postby HV » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:51 am

Hello,

My names Ewen and i'm what one might call an avid computer fan with some knowedlge of the inner working of the technical variety (aha, yes - one of them guys who is meant to wear a darkly coloured hat) which was mainly bought about through my disability to work (some might say the smelly foul leaking from my ear that has baffled the medical science for many years, some say i'm just a lazy git). So I spend too long in front of my laptop pressing buttons, cursing Microsoft's grasp of the market trends ("Everyones using Windows, despite it's got a few bugs - but we'll just keep throwing our hard earned money at a buggy system and buying upgrades until it works") and sneering at Linux ("It'll work on a 386, not that anyone uses it anymore - I mean why make it fast and usable ? At least you can compile it your own way - after a few days wait.").

My family got me, after many years, into DW where I was ordered to collect many, many of the books from my better half (still in debate). And I found this site after hunting down information regarding the MUD game (which I sadly don't play very much, but when I do you can be sure i'm to be found inhuming something or other - myself usually). This seems to be a great community with lots of input and helpful people so I thought "Why not poke around and leave a few commets" - here I am.

I've only just ordered my first LBE so i'm hoping to get something at least in the way of the Assassins' Guild (zombie would be nice) - if not then i'll just have to try again.

For me, the best part of DW is the Assassins' Guild. Something I hoped to be when a child - but as life takes you I ended up becomming a parent. So I settle for collecting any and all things ssasswot related (okay, i've only just started - but please feel free to PM me if you have anything you want to sell, bear in mind i'm of extremely limited fundings).
HV

Postby Rimfisher » Sat Aug 06, 2005 03:46 pm

Hi,

my names Rosie im from the Harper Collins Board, Im not planning on leaving the other board But this one looks interesting. :D

I live in Dorset and Devon. I loved Terry Pratchett since i first read mort about 2 years ago and ive read a lot ever since.

Edit: Stupid spelling mistake!
Rimfisher

Postby Ogreman » Sat Aug 06, 2005 05:55 pm

Heya was sent here by almighty Harry (not sure if he's registered ... probably is... meh!)
Jamie Cox here and ready to serve. 18 long haired mad thing...
Been reading Mr Pratchett's work since oo umm - 1997 not long in comparison to some of you people! :)

Favourite Character: Vimes or Gaspode or Nanny Ogg maybe (undecided :P)
Favourite book: hmm... Lords and Ladies sticks out since it was the first one i picked up and it's got a great storyline and setting :P Lancre is grrreat! Pyramids was pretty damn cool but been a while since i read it...

hmm... nothing else to say other than i've done loads of Creative Writing courses etc and that im a bit (ok a lot) of a computer games enthusiast...(dont judge me...) Played (obsessively), the Divinity series (...Rhiannon (speeling may be off!) Pratchett's games (contribution))...

Thanks anyway, i should be able to post regularly so beware if i do...
Sorry for the mess.
:D
J.x --ogre
Locus likes the lillies.
"...sex and drugs and Music With Rocks In."
TROLLHAMMEREN!!
Ogreman

Postby fairyliquid » Sun Aug 07, 2005 06:29 pm

hello, Im fairyliquid (yes the soap)

im almost 16, give me four days :D i came from the harper collins site out have curiosity.

The first dicworld book i read was The wee Free men mostly because it had funny blue things with kilts on in the cover and siince im scottish i just had to read it...I'm still getting through a lot of the books but love Pratchetts writing style and haven't stopped since.

thats about all there is to say about me
llamas are planing to rule the world
sposored by fairyliquid
fairyliquid

PreviousNext

Return to The Welcome Mat