Discworld

The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Somewhere to say hello, draw up a chair and join us by the fire...

Postby xxmaxiexx » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:42 am

Hi I am xxMaxiexx AKA Karen
I am 30 years old married to Igor on this forum AKA Geoff who is 44

we have 3 children
James who is 11 , Nathan who is 8 and Trudy who is 4

We live in Essex after moving from London 8 years ago

Hubby has always been a Terry Pratchett fan

I have just converted after collecting the stamps for a Christmas present for Hubby and getting hooked on them myself

After meeting up with Rentawitch from this forum I decided I wanted to know what all the fuss was about and so read my first Terry Pratchett book wyrd sisters
I enjoyed it so much I have continued to read however still got loads to get through

I have since started collecting the clarecraft figures and have 28 in total now :shock:

Well thats about it for me

Last edited by xxmaxiexx on Wed Oct 17, 2007 09:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
xxmaxiexx

Postby bezam » Sun Apr 24, 2005 01:28 pm

Hi everyone I'm Ian, 33, and live in Middlesbrough.

I work as Manager of Concessions in a local multiplex cinema and have been there since leaving Manchester Uni in '93.

Read & thoroughly enjoyed 'Good Omens' whilst at Uni and then moved on to the Discworld series. I began collecting the Clarecraft figures when they came out (but being a poor student at the time, missed out on all those pewter effect figurines which were just a tad bit expensive. Still regret it on occassions ever since). Anyway, Clarecraft led to Paul Kidby prints, then some Waxworks stuff, then GOFAD, then Artificer Unreal Estate, then some Mark Ayling stuff and now stamps - it could be getting a bit out of control now :lol:

A long-time lurker on many a forum, I also take more than a passing interest in anything to do with 'Wallace & Gromit'
bezam

Postby Darren » Sun Apr 24, 2005 03:35 pm

Time to join the thread, now I've finished doing t'other things. Especially as I've been reminded by a man with a brain injury and memory loss that I'd forgotten to update it

In a stunningly original way, my name is Darren, married to Helen (Marmaduke around here) with two young ladies to show for it, Amy (aka Munchkin) and Kathryn (better known as Katie, and aka Mouse).

I'm 34 going on 6, and am a mad fizzysist (to doctorate level), although I keep taking the dried frog pills on the hope that one day they will work.

In the day job, I work for a Japanese company who make machines to make microchips (people like Philips, AMD and Intel use them, so our kit probably helped make the thing you're typing on now). Hence I work all over Europe, and can often be found in France, Italy or Holland.

Other hobbies include roundworld stamp collecting, animation art (Warner Bros., Hanna Barbera, Chuck Jones etc), Concorde memorabilia and reading (esp when travelling).

Fave TP book - probably Mort, but Nightwatch comes close.

Fave Stamp - Penny Black Civic (esp the sport).

Oh, and I'm also one of them green things called moderators around here (auditors are us!). So if you have a problem, question or issue relating to the forum, feel free to PM. And if you wanna know what I look like, have a look at Mooresey's post, cos I'm also in his photograph (I'm the other one there, the one who isn't Isobel).
Last edited by Darren on Thu Aug 17, 2006 06:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby alohura » Sun Apr 24, 2005 03:46 pm

Hi
Where to begin

I'm AJ, I'm 24 and a few months, I live in Milton Keynes with two cats (Mort and Mildred (Mildred thinks her name is Dave)) and some grumpy wizard who sometimes posts on here.
Last edited by alohura on Mon Oct 09, 2006 06:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"You little (such a one who, while wearing a copper nose ring, stands in a footbath atop Mount Raruaruaha during a heavy thunderstorm and shouts that Alohura, Goddess of Lightning, has the facial features of a diseased uloruaha root.')"
alohura

Location: Small town in Northamptonshire that nobody has ever heard of.

Postby Gaspode » Sun Apr 24, 2005 05:40 pm

Hi again....My second attempt at this.

I'm Barrie 42ish but with the mind of an 18 year old. :lol: Had the body once but i cant remember where I put it.. :?:
I got married in 1990 to Jackie on a beach in Barbados and we have two children. Rebecca who is 12 and :evil: and Thomas 10, his claim to fame is that Bernard called him "Orrible" and then gave him a mystic prawn.
During the day I install and repair packaging machines for a German company here and all over Europe. But in my spare time I am fortunate enough to make and repair jewellery. Thanks to Rentawitch and a stamp pendant, Uncle Bernard has charged me with being the nearest thing to a Discworld Jeweller we have..
Fav book must be Moving Pictures
Fav character the parrot from Eric "wossisname"
Music almost anything from the 60's 70's 80's but Genesis, Sex pistols, Sham 69, some Macca stuff and Springstein.

If your going to the shower at the weekend look out for us, I will be wearing a badge with WOOF on it and Jackie will be wearing this

Gaspode

Postby Spaniard » Sun Apr 24, 2005 06:37 pm

Hi, my name is Esther I'm 32 (still) and yes... I'm spanish.

I moved to St. Helens (UK) from Madrid about three years ago, to work as a pharmacist. The main reason to move here was professional, but the one I never told anybody was that I was going to be in PTerryland and that really made everything worth it.

My favorite character is Granny and my fav quote is 'if you don't have respect, you have nothing'. So true.
Spaniard

Postby Vimesy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 06:42 pm

*Update!!!!*
Four marbles down, six to go.....
Vimesy

Postby Statsman » Sun Apr 24, 2005 08:34 pm

:lol:
Yes it will be in this brown envelope, I know it will.... Oh maybe not
Statsman

Postby Lucy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 09:38 pm

Hi my name's Lucy, and I live in Gloucestershire, so not too far from Wincanton - this is good for me, but bad for the savings account. I'm a contractor in the public sector (local gov't) and do something called Executive PAing, which means practically anything the boss wants it to really - and I'm my own boss 3 days a week, which is fun.

I've been reading Pterry since I saw CoM on a new release shelf and thought 'that looks interesting'. It was, and I was very good and bought only paperbacks until M! when I gave in and it's been hardbacks ever since.:D
I collect the audios, bags, badges, books, bookmarks, calendars, coasters, diaries, PC games, jewellery, jigsaws, medallions, mugs, models, LBEs and stamps (natch), will be going to the Shower and CCDE (and DWCon next year, yay), want want WANT a Blue Triangle, and can give it up any time I like, honest.

My hobbies are reading, Usenet, Sealed Knot (ask me about female Pikemen) and dressing up as Angua. Favourite books are the Watch series and favourite character well,... Angua. :D
Lucy

Postby Drutte » Sun Apr 24, 2005 09:46 pm

Great to know you all (well nearly all of you).
My real name is Elliott - untouchable by name, untouchable by nature.
I'm 38, married to Heather with two boys Kieran (10) and Nathan (7) who want to collect stamps.
My Colour of Magic is a 1985 edition so I have been in to TP since then. Love Fantasy and SFI having read the Hobbit at primary school aged 9 - thanks Mr Arscot. Discovered AD&D at 17yrs and fouled up A levels soon afterwards.
Became a Banker who went in to Banking Finance and moved in to accountancy because someone said it paid well.. ha ha.
Now unemployed pending emigration (I hope) to New Zealand.
Other hobbies include The Lake District, Golf (at which I regularly beat Chudds) and Card Games.
Favourite TP character either DEATH or the Librarian, favourite TP book the last one I read.
Claim to fame, once read Lord of The Rings in 6 hours.
Twas brillig and the slithy toads did gyre and gimble and forget the words...
Drutte

Postby nich77 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 07:33 am

Hi I,m Tracy ,age 38, originally from essex (had all the jokes), now living in the Midlands. Married to Alan since 1986, 1 son age 11.
Have been reading discworld since school but only in last year have really got hooked after going to last years Wadfest.

Fave Book, too many to list

Fave character(s) Librarian and Rincewind

Apart from discworld spend time camping, doing cross-stitch and playing with anything steam powered especially Victorian beam engines
nich77

Postby ransom_m » Mon Apr 25, 2005 07:36 am

Yo the Flatelists!
I'm Martyn Ransom the :twisted: Mad Fizzysist :twisted:

I was born in 1962 (so at the time of posting I'm 42) in Sitiingbourne in Kent where I grew up with my two sisters and little brother.

I presently live in Milton Keynes (home of the concrete cows).

I'm a Microwave Designer by desire and an Engineering Manager by profession (although I am redundant as of Friday 29/04/05), for the last 22 years designing Avionic systems for helicopters and planes.

I have a pssion for all things Sci-Fi and Fantasy but especially Babylon 5 (for which I was the MK Ranger for the collectable card game, which I still love and play)

I love Music, especially ZZ Top and (although not limited to) Heavy Rock.

Keen follower of Cricket (member of the Kent CCC for 20 years) and will be attending the majority of the Ashes matches this summer (Yup I'm the one who got tickets).

Favourite colour Yellow.

Beware my warped sense of humour, I will rule the world!

Whohahahahahahahahahahah :twisted:
Last edited by ransom_m on Tue Apr 26, 2005 03:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm back Image
ransom_m

Postby dwjunkie » Mon Apr 25, 2005 08:25 pm

My name is Angie, I'm 26 years old. I have been reading DW books for about 4 or 5 years now. I work for a company the makes and imports all types of rugs, doormats, placemats, coasters, furniture and linens from India. I mainly handle incoming containers and customer service for our main accounts. Really, what my job boils down to is me sitting in front of a computer all day surfin the net and talking on here. :lol: I have 3 pets; 2 dogs and a cat, all of whom rule the house.
My favorite book is either Feet of Clay or The Fifth Elephant. I cant decide on just one. :roll:
My favorite DW characters are Angua and Nobby. 8) I like a lot of different authors, but the close second to TP right now would have to be Piers Anthony. I love The Incarnations of Immortality series, especially "On a Pale Horse"
On my time off (in the summer) I like to do out doors things, like camping, hiking, and hanging out at the lake. Other than that, I like to watch movies especially Mel Brooks movies, hang out with friends and family, and play fetch with the doggies in the front yard.
Last edited by dwjunkie on Thu May 12, 2005 05:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BOLDLY GOING FORWARD BECAUSE I CAN'T FIND REVERSE
dwjunkie

Postby WATT » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:43 pm

ok, well for those of you who don't know, i'm watt or bill/will to some. i dwell in reading, but am welsh, (my granddad being walter tanner, the weaver! strange but true!).
i started reading pterry in late seventies when a friend of mine was on teaching practise and left a copy of "the carpet people" lying round, (oh how i wish i'd not given that back!)
fave book=soulmusic, no probably weird sisters, no, no, hang on, defiantly masquerade! no, weird sisters, prodably
face caricter= gaspode the wonder dog, after the famous gaspode
other things that bring me enjoyment= thud, motobikes, my daughter and kites, woodwork, music(allsorts as long as it's loud!) or otway and making my costumes.
oh, vimesy, if you're looking for marbles, i think elgin has some spare!
Last edited by WATT on Fri Dec 01, 2006 01:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
life is a sh#t sandwich, the more bread you have the less sh#t you have to take!
WATT

Postby Matthej » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:55 am

Real name John
37 years old, married to Sarah for 10 years now, daughter Hannah, 6 next month and a son Oliver who is 1 next month. Also have two cats.
Live in Kingston Upon Thames which is technically part of London but has a Surrey post code.Not that anyone here would be interested in postcodes....

Work for a well known (In this country) high street retailer as a computer programmer. Previously a nurse for the NHS for many years.

First started reading pterry at university where I read a review for Mort in White Dwarf magazine. Supprised that I had actually managed education at this level after discovering AD&D at 14.....

How I wish that I was a rich student and bought the hardbacks from then...

Favourite book is probably Men at Arms, followed by Hogfather
Character the Patrician.
Stamp... the Hogswatch one.

Suprised my self with how quickly I can spend money on little sticky bits of paper...

My Kids are my main pasttimes out of work that and collecting discworld related books, stamps, pictures...

Nice to meet you all

John
;-)
Matthej

PreviousNext

Return to The Welcome Mat