Discworld

The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Somewhere to say hello, draw up a chair and join us by the fire...

Greetings

Postby raven » Wed Apr 27, 2005 03:47 pm

My name is Jay.

I've always been fanatic about Discworld but have only joined this forum recently as I prefer to read rather than post. But since the society was started I had no choice but to join.

I've been reading DIscworld since twelve and am now 14.
raven

Postby Vimesy » Wed Apr 27, 2005 04:52 pm

now that the last two have been found and I now have all my marbles, here we go...

My name is Shaun and I recently turned 22 years old.
I used to be - and still am when my ex-boss requires assistance - an engineer for agricultural machinery.
I quit my 'lovely' job there last october, and since then have been aspiring to become a writer. Having finished my first book almost two months ago - which is currently being proof-read and edited, I have been since working on my second.
I enjoy, as a leisurely passtime, the usual things: Exercise, entertainment from the box. But most of all, I love the Discworld books.
That is really as far as it goes without delving into anything personal, like, for instance, what injuries I had as a child, or my favourite food.
I'm sure many of you will get to know me a bit better at the weekend, so there isn't much else.
:D
Last edited by Vimesy on Thu Apr 28, 2005 04:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vimesy

Postby Angua » Wed Apr 27, 2005 08:22 pm

Hello!

I'm Helen and I'm 26.

During the day, I work (if you can call it that) on the support desk for a very small software company (only 6 employees!). Before that I was losing my sanity processing orders for bedding.........

Apart from buying enough LBE's to try and find that elusive triangle, I do the odd bit of charity work and organise social events for the charity members.

Anyway thats enough of my waffling...........there'll be a few new threads to read by now!
Angua

Postby Skyhigh » Wed Apr 27, 2005 08:26 pm

Lets see...

Been interesting in DW since 11.
Been playing the Discworld MUD as Skyhigh since 1999, so thats 6 years - its an online Discworld game.

Own all the DW books allin softback, most in hard back, also all the diaries, special eds, etc. (sad eh?), a few signed too.

Currently 19, University student, studying Computer Science (boo!), doing lots of work while trying to reduce my debt by flogging the contents of my life on ebay.

Mostly into pyromania (juggling torches, fire staves, fire balls, fire poi, fire devilstick) and rock climbing (specifically bouldering, occasionally trad routes and sport routes). Lack of money = no rack really....

Oh and I got my first stamps (1 LBE) today! :D

:!:
Skyhigh

Postby Barry Scott » Wed Apr 27, 2005 09:06 pm

My name is Barry Scott, I am 23 and work in Insurance/Web Design, I live in Brentwood, Essex.

I have been reading disworld since I was 13 or 14 and have all the books.

Favirote Charecter: Sam Vimes or Mustrum Ridcully
Favirote Book: I love them all but I really like the ones with a twist to real world systems, Moving pictures, The Truth, The Watch books and of course, Going Postal
Favirote Stamp: Tower of Art
Barry Scott

Postby Gavin » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:05 pm

as I've been wandering through this site for over two years now I thought that it was about time I updated this...

Hi thought I'd best introduce myself so that if you see someone wandering around Wincanton looking extremely lost on Friday night you know it's likely to be me (same story two years on...).

As my lack of imagination has already told you my name is Gavin, I’m 44 (next week), married (although my wife isn’t remotely interested in discworld ... she is asking to listen to some of the audio books now) and with too many kids (who thankfully have now left home... aarrgh they keep comming back!). I live in Driffield, East Yorkshire, which as anyone who has been there will realize is the center of the known universe (the problem is that no one has yet decided which universe they are talking about).

Job wise I work in local government (and some day someone there will actually get round to finding out what I do... I think they have found out now it's just that I don't agree).

I’ve been reading discworld books for the last 15 years (at least) and collecting stamps since I got the Waterstone’s FDC. Favorite book – Jingo (by a slight margin over all the rest); favorite stamp has to be the Thrup'ny DREADFUL (it would be an even more favorite if I had one Still is and I've now got one or two).

Hope to see more of you at the weekend! (more true than ever) :D
Last edited by Gavin on Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin

Postby Katariina » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:12 pm

Hello everyone, I'm Katariina, 28 years, live in Helsinki, have a cat.

I have been a Pratchett fan since -93, ever since I happened to wander into his speech at the Finncon.

My favourite book is Small Gods, also Reaper Man, Lords and Ladies, Interesting Times, ect.

My favourite characters are Susan, Vetinari, Librarian, Rincewind, etc.

Favourite stamp is the Tower of Art.
Man is certainly stark raving mad. He cannot make a worm, yet he makes gods by the dozens.
Katariina

Postby Roger » Fri Apr 29, 2005 01:51 pm

Hi I am Roger I am 48 work as a Transmission fitter in a helicopter factory, live in Yeovil (only 10 miles from Wincanton). Been lurking around here for a while No22 on the members list. Look forward to see all those at the next Shower.

Married to Su in 89, have a son Jamie 15 (alias Kevin! :twisted: ) and daughter Yasmin 12.

We have 2 Dogs
CharlieImage
and PippaImage

Started reading DW in 96, don't really have a favorite book but I think Mort is the funniest. collect all the books, diaries, calendars, COA's Clarecraft artifacts, some of Bernards smaller stuff and trying to resist stamps but not succeeding very well.

(update now completely addicted beyond any help to stamps ) :shock:

Like most music particulary Rock Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Dire Straits and Pink Floyd.other interests are cycling motor sport and the Glovers YTFC

Updated to add photos on 19 feb 2006
Last edited by Roger on Sun Feb 19, 2006 07:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger

Postby slowfang » Sat Apr 30, 2005 09:16 pm

My name is Stefan I am 27 and a Stud. Pharm.
I live in Denmark so I haven't been to any of the events :x
Been into TP since carpet people
When DW came into being I was hooked and by the time Granny Weatherwax came around I could'nt get of the hook :D
slowfang

Postby SimonC » Sun May 01, 2005 08:16 pm

Surprisingly enough, I really am Simon. I've now lived in London since '84 years and have been looked after by Kate full-time since the millennimumimum and for 9 years before that part-time. We have two younglings, Jon and Elizabeth/Boo/Princess Beth of Muntab.

A long-time fan of Bernards work. First, his figures for Clarecraft and then the real-estate, which takes up far too much room, and now the stamps. When the stamps started, I thought I could resist the lure of completism, but as we all know "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE"

As for a favourite book, it's difficult to choose one, but I always go back to a few old favourites: Mort, Guards Guards, and Small Gods for different reasons.
Last edited by SimonC on Sun Sep 07, 2008 09:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
SimonC

Postby Worbleook » Mon May 02, 2005 08:20 am

Hello, my name is Jean, I'm French, and I study English at the University of Le Mans. I discovered Terry Pratchett and the Discworld little more than 1 year ago, from the Librarian of my high school.
I spend my leisure time reading, buy a lot of useless things, collecting tin pens, minerals and of course Discworld stamps.
I felt quite lonely so I Contaminated a few of my classmates with Discworld. One of them is Alchemharpist.
That's all for the moment.

Edit after three years:
Now I am done studying English, having obtained a shiny Licence degree in English and the first year of a Master's degree.
Still collecting useless stuff, and in the process of Getting Into Trouble.
Working as a French Language Assistant in Devon this year (2008/09)
Last edited by Worbleook on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can't blow something up?
GNU Terry Pratchett
Worbleook

Postby mavzb » Mon May 02, 2005 07:33 pm

Thought I might as well post something about me at last, now that some of you have met me...

As some of you now know, my real name's Justin, and my username used to be my computer login code at university - and before you ask, no you can't hack into it, as it's already been turned off...

Ummm... there is some other stuff about me, but it's all tediously dull, so I shan't repeat it here.
Ninja Hamster
mavzb

info about me

Postby catrine » Mon May 02, 2005 10:08 pm

Hi all, just a note about me

Been a pratchett fan since I walked into a shop in Burnley and the shopkeeper was laughing his head off, about a book he just read. As my puzzled look must have made him think, he lent me The Colour of Magic to read. I have been addicted ever since. And found a very good friend.

Just met a lot of you at the Event. For those of you that might have seen me I was the Purple Witch. I had an enormous... hat!

I was also "her again" at the auction.

My name is Natalie. I live in the London area.
I like all that is Terry Pratchett not just Discworld, Dragons, Jackie Chan (large collection of his films), books, MASH, Scubs, ER and dressing up!!

Hope to meet you all again soon
To get is just brill - but to give is so much more fun - I think that's how the saying goes.
catrine

Postby Megawoman » Mon May 02, 2005 10:17 pm

Hello,
This is my first post on this forum.
My name is Maggie but most Wadfesters call me Auntie M.
I was married once in a far distant past, didn't like it . But I have 3 gorgeous grown up sons and my youngest (28 this year) introduced me to Terry's wonderful world in 2000 and I have never looked back, (well only at the photos). I love the events but can't afford the convention. Love camping so Wadfest is right up my street.
I'm a few months younger than Terry.

Favourite books are the Witches stories and the City Watch.

Just bought my first stamps at Bernard's this weekend and not scrutenised them yet. Could get addicted!!!!
[ /size][size=18]
Wadfest visit www.wadfest.co.uk
Also visit www.morningstarr.co.uk for fantastic news and views!
Megawoman

Postby Dave Hayden » Tue May 03, 2005 10:20 pm

I'm Dave, Lots of you know me anyway.

Paying for everything involves being an R&D Scientist for an international filter company - I help develop filters for the Biopharmaceutical drugs industry - sometimes it is as interesting as it sounds, but not often.

I've loved the books of a certain hat wearing Gentleman since I was at school (a friend introduced me and as you all know, there is no going back!)

Thanks to the Discworld Monthly (thank you Jason) we (me and my partner Chris - a lovely bloke who also posts here) dropped in to Wincanton to see THE Shop. It was closed due to it being Good Friday but we were seen peering in (complete strangers at this time) and were invited in. After tea, biscuits and a long chat we were hooked on Bernard and Isobel too!

I also keep a pet or two.............
Dave Hayden

PreviousNext

Return to The Welcome Mat