Discworld

The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Somewhere to say hello, draw up a chair and join us by the fire...

Postby blackcountry_wench » Thu May 05, 2005 01:08 pm

As I've been outed ( :wink: :D ) thanks to Waddy's pic and Unohoo guessing who I am I thought I'd better visit here!!!!

I am a Mum of 4,got into the Disc World through Waddy,and have so far attended every Wadfest but not been able to go elsewhere due to the family.

As you can see from the photos on the "suits you sir thread" I got married last year,but have been with Jay for nearly 6 years now.

I know lots of peeps from the 'other' forum (is it REALLY a good idea owning up to knowing Colin,Unohoo et al!! :wink: )

I am not a DW freak unlike lots of you...........

I enjoy reading the books and Rincewind is my favourite character.I have a couple of small pieces, namely Death which was a wedding pressie, and the Death at Hogswatch plate (sorry if it's not the correct name) because I saw waddy's and really liked it, and that is my only criteria for buying something. Oh and a Scraps I bought offa fellow forum user (PYO).

Therefore,all this talk of stamps has left me totally confused as I have no idea what you are all on about :?

I enjoy reading,sports and posting on the forums :wink: .........

at least you are forewarned :P
blackcountry_wench

Postby lazylins » Thu May 05, 2005 01:20 pm

my name is lindsey, (iam not really that lazy)

iam 21 years of age and live in a horrible 2 bed flat :cry: , i have two wonderful children, william whos 3 and thomas whos just turned 1.

iam not married yet, but as well as, my partner is called sid, hes also 21.

i have been addicted to anything discworld from the age of 11, have all books in hardback, and paper back, apart from ones not published yet!! :lol:

i loved scrapbooking, card making, cross stitch, and everything messy!! also collecting my little ponys and anything 80s.

i love all types of music, and everything else is a secret!!!

i will see you all one day, hopefully at hogswatch this year!!
if i dare show my face!!
:lol:
lazylins

Postby nevermind » Thu May 05, 2005 01:38 pm

Hi

My name is Paul and I was born in 1953 ........ I have the body of a couple of geriatrics rolled into one and the mind of a twelve year old.

Scouser and lifelong Liverpool supporter, separated/divorced from a long suffering scot called Margaret, two boys called Andrew and David, both adults now .... and both my best friends

I always say to my kids , if they find a career they want to follow, to let me know as it might be something I might like when I grow up

Student until I was 26 (Electronic Engineering)
Builder and General Contractor until I was 50
Work now on the internet until I die .. with Green Planet Environmental Ltd
but since May 2006. also working for the Shop Direct Group.... needs and finances dictate what we do unfortunately.

Fav Characters .... Vimes and the Patrician
Fav books.... Those involving the Watch.

Hooked on Bernards stuff, buildings , stamps etc............ The man is too damn clever for is own good and the output is amazing
Last edited by nevermind on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
nevermind

Postby jonty » Thu May 05, 2005 03:04 pm

im jonty (real name john) 48 yrs old and feeling every bit of it
been married twice, 3 kids ranging from 23yrs to 6 yrs. and am looking forward to early retirement in 2011, when i can play golf all day (badly) and read books and quaff of an evening .

first got into the books 15 yrs ago when someone loaned me good omens and reaper man, since then have bought the lot.

looking forward to meeting some of the characters from the forum in december to see if they really exist ( straight out of a discworld novel ) or find that i am the only real person posting on this forum :)
Last edited by jonty on Tue Jun 27, 2006 01:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.Life is a sexually transmitted disease and there is a 100% mortality rate. ~R.D. Laing
jonty

'ello

Postby metalmachine666 » Sun May 08, 2005 11:56 am

:twisted: 'ello!
metalmachine666

Postby hansolobiker » Sun May 08, 2005 12:02 pm

GREETINGS AND FELICITY KENDALL TO EVERYONE! :lol:

SUPPOSE THAT SHOWS MY AGE! MY GIVEN NAME IS PAUL.I AM 53 YEARS OLD AND LIVE ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF LEEDS WITH MY WIFE OF 32 YEARS.I AM A MEDICAL PHOTOGRAPHER WORKING IN THE NHS IN LEEDS.

FIRST DISCWORLD BOOK READ WAS PYRAMIDS AND I CONTINUED BOTH FORWARDS AND BACKWARDS FROM THERE. I LIKE OTHER SF AND FANTASY WRITERS INCLUDING ANNE MCCAFFREY, RAYMOND FEIST, SHERRI TEPPER, C.J. CHERRYH, ASIMOV, ARTHUR C. TO NAME BUT A FEW.OTHER INTERESTS INCLUDE PHOTOGRAPHY(ESPECIALLY WILDLIFE AND AVIATION), AIRSHOWS, MOTORCYCLING AND I HAVE A BROAD SPECTRUM OF MUSICAL TASTES.

HOPE TO SEE MORE OF YOU IN PERSONS LATER.
hansolobiker

Postby Doc Brown » Wed May 11, 2005 09:09 am

G'day everyone, I'm Mad Doc Brown an inventor of the impossible.
I love science, traveling through time(something i have yet to master), reading Jules Verne (when not reading PTerry), eating chocolate (has to be Cadburys) and collecting clocks.

I have been a Philatelist for as long as I can remember and loved the idea of Filataly so here I am.

I am the answer to life the Univerese and Everything (well untill August) as I'm 42 at the moment and still single.

PS
Yes folks I'm as mad as a March hare so I know I'll fit in well here

PPS
Yup I'm actually Martyn Ransom the :twisted: Mad fizzysist :twisted:
Lover of Cricket, SciFi, Genealogy and all things Marmite (all of the above is also true except the clocks).

Graduated from Aston Uni with a degree in Physics and a love of Microwave design. I've spent the last 22 years designing Avionics systems for aircraft (in particular TWS Radars). Presently looking at how to spend the rest of my life.

PPPS
Favourite PTerry book 'Wee Free Men'
Favourite Discworld character Daft Wullie
Favourite Discworld Stamp the TOA
Favourite Food Marmite
Favourite sport Cricket
Favourite Group ZZ Top
Favourite Film Animal House
Favourite colour yellow

Image Question 13. Who wrote an ‘Ode to the Odemeister’?
Last edited by Doc Brown on Wed Aug 10, 2005 05:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc Brown

The Broken Drummers

Postby Jack_Hanley » Fri May 13, 2005 05:32 am

Greetings to all and sundry who inhabit these ethereal regions of the electronic worlds. Surely the shape of this world is stranger than either a disc or sphere.
Know then you denizens that I am Jack Hanley the soon to be deposed organizer of The Terry Pratchett London Meetup Grou( Soon to be known solely by there newer title" The Broken Drummers". The evil forces of rampant capitalism (mind I'm not against making a bob or two) have forced the move by the group and hence I have found my way to this enclave of hopefully friendly Pratchett aficiendos. "Please note some of my minions are already among you and hold high office."
For all the members of The Drummers who find there way here please contact me with your nicks unless of course they are blindingly obvious.Come to think of it even if they are blindingly obvious.
To any other users of the boards who live around London and fancy transporting to the planet Earth once a month for a real time meet (usually in a pub or restaraunt but this month in the park) involving quiz, conversation, friendship, a drink or two perhaps and the furtherence of the plans for world domination by the drummers, please get in touch and we will take it from there. We are mostly harmless. Whoops booted already for quoting the wrong author.
Regards
Jack
Jack_Hanley

Postby Sejan » Fri May 13, 2005 09:15 am

Hi I'm Karl.
I'm a student in Dresden, Germany. I've been reading the Discworld novels since the beginning and would be hard put to name a favourite, but any involving Vimes and his watchmen are my favourites.
My favourite charachter would be the Patrician.
Oh and I've just discovered Thud and the problems involved when I beat my girlfriend three times in a row...The dwarfs can be painful when thrown at you...
Sejan

Hi

Postby dreamkin » Tue May 17, 2005 04:10 pm

I'm Natalie, currently nineteen and Student Union President at Lincoln College but will be moving down to Reading Uni in September.

I've been a Discworld fan since I was about twelve, but am only recently discovering the wonderful online world of fandom and forums/meets/cons and so on. I've not been to an event yet, but I'm trying to arrange matters so I'm able to get to Wadfest this year. If any one can tell me more about what kind of event this is I'd be very grateful.

I owe my presence on here to nevermind, who kindly posted info about my Discworld charity teeshirts in another thread. Thanks mate! The charity I'm fundraising for is Mind the Mental Health Charity, and so far I've raised just over £1,000 - but with a target of £2,600 I've still got a long way to go!

It's hard for me to pick a favourite book, but the top three are The Truth, Witches Abroad and The Wee Free Men.

And here's a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/d ... all005.jpg
It is said that, if you leave a saucer of milk out for the pictsies, they will break into your cottage and steal everything in your drinks cabinet.
dreamkin

Postby nellie » Tue May 24, 2005 05:38 pm

Hi I'm Lisa.

I'm the grand old age of 31 and live in sunny South West Scotland. By day I'm a Learning Disability Nurse although hopefully Im soon to be a student midwife (if they'll have me)

Been reading TP since I was forced to go on a very boring family holiday up in the North of Scotland, oh about 20 years ago, when a friendly book shop owner took pity on me and pointed me towards my first Pratchett purchase.

Favourite books have to be anything with The Witches in.
Favourite character, definetly Esme Weatherwax.

Just gettin to grips with the whole stamp thing so bear with me..

Thats about I think :D
nellie

Postby Dawn » Wed May 25, 2005 04:12 pm

:D
hello everybody, I'm Dawn. I have been waiting with ant - ic-ipation to join the forum, but wanted to wait until the glorious 25th May.

Married to Colin, who loves the sausage supper weekends at Wincanton.

Favourite PTerry book: Nightwatch, though as a primary school teacher, I also love Hat Full of Sky, Wee 3 Men, and The Bromeliad Trilogy.

Right, I'm offski to see if I've posted this correctly.

TTFN.
Dawn

Postby Joves » Mon May 30, 2005 09:13 am

" "
- - - - - - - - - -
Joves

Postby Munchkin » Mon May 30, 2005 05:34 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Amy, although most of you know me as the Munchkin. I'm 18 months old, and already into this stamp collecting business. I feel a certain kinship with them, being small and sticky myself a lot of the time.

I'm told by daddy (Darren) and mummy (Marmaduke) that my turn as Granny Munchkin at the Shower made people smile, which was nice. Teddy says he enjoyed the dressing up too, in his little cape and hat. Now I've just got to get them to work on my costume for next time, such a busy life being a baby I've no time to work on it myself.
Well someone in this household has to have some sense!
Munchkin

Postby ElephantitisVictim » Tue May 31, 2005 02:24 am

My name is Julie, I'm 20 years old, I've been reading Pratchett's books for a few years now. I've never been to an event, have no stamps, or anything but the books and that is good enough for me. I live in Illinois with my two dogs Bear and Bonnie, and I work full time at a used bookstore.
ElephantitisVictim

PreviousNext

Return to The Welcome Mat