Discworld

The 'Tell us about yourself" Thread - *NO DIGRESSIONS!*

Somewhere to say hello, draw up a chair and join us by the fire...

Postby theCheerfulFairy » Tue May 31, 2005 09:36 pm

Hello,
I am the Cheerful Fairy and I have joined this forum to cheer you all up.
Happiness, in spite of anything and everything is my mission!
theCheerfulFairy

Postby Vampire Angel » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:19 pm

Hey I'm Dan. I'm 16 and Gytha's son (you know you had better feel sorry for me) and I'm a moderate fan of the Discworld series, just don't expect me to remember anything off by heart as I have a memory that best resembles a black hole, things go in and are never seen or heard about again. My favorite book is probably the Colour of Magic. Death rocks and is my fav character.

On a completely different note I love Jamiroquai and anybody who plays the bass guitar.
The one who taught Gytha the art of Moderation, somewhere however it all went wrong.
Vampire Angel

Postby sheep21 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:09 pm

Hey, im David, im the guy above me's mate.

I have read pretty much all the main discworld books. I enjoy rock/indie music, basically anything that sounds good to me. I think my knowledge of the dic is fairly good considering i havent read one of them in awhile.

Hope to get to know you all abit better, David.

EDIT: Favourite character is split between Deat and Havelock Vetenari.
'Are you Death?'
IT'S THE SCYTHE IS'NT IT? EVERYONE NOTICE'S THE SCYTHE

Death Wish Dave
sheep21

Postby Rincewind the Wizzard » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:51 am

The name's Ed. Or Edt, depending on what mood you catch me in.
I was 17 last time I checked. If you cut off my arm and counted the rings, that's how many you'd find. Not that I'm encouraging anyone to sever off my limbs.
My main hobbies include playing guitar in my Heavy/doom/thrash Metal band, acting and spending time with lurvely laydeez.
I can play drums, bass, guitar and piano. I am also a critically acclaimed singer.

Have been on this forum since the start, and was once a regular poster. :P

Last edited by Rincewind the Wizzard on Sun Aug 19, 2007 03:13 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Rincewind the Wizzard

Hello Everyone

Postby Karenjo » Thu Jul 07, 2005 07:51 pm

Hello everyone,

My name Karen and I've been a huge discworld fan for some time now. I'm a Librarian by occupation and work in central London.

And I'm a discworld stamp addict! :D

[/b]
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" Oscar Wilde
Karenjo

Postby Oograh Boike » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:33 pm

Hi there,

I'm Boi, 42 (yes! definitely looking forward to the movie that should have been made when Douglas was still alive), living in Bingelrade NL. Married to lovely Nicole, no kids, but one Stanley Rosella Parakeet called Stanley, and a cuddly rabbit called Jules. Stanley loves to fly around the house, and move a Thud piece once in a while, but sorry to say he hasn't got a clue.
I arrived here when the original Thud forum was moved. Sorry, no flatalist, but very proud owner of a common Thud set with Leather Board, AND a very very beautiful Polished Tusk Thud set.

Hobbies include:
-my Linux LAN (one router, two desktops, two laptops; most of them running SETI@home on a regular basis);
-kites (single- and quad-lines);
-movies (arthouse preferably);
-New Orleans and its music (went there to get married in '02);
-books (Pterry, Salman Rushdie, Douglas Adams and Neal Stephenson among the favs);
-and of course Thud, played at least half an hour each day in several threads and email games.

Work: an apartment block where 23 mentally challenged people live more or less on their own. It only dawned on me very recently that my signature must have something to do with that; I liked it from the moment I read it, just didn't think about the "why".

PTerry favs:
-book: moving pictures;
-character: Anthill Inside;
-species: Trolls;
-spin-off: Thud;
-wizzard: Rincewind;
-witch: Nanny Ogg;
-watch: Detritus;
-woman of negotiable affection: none (I'm married, remember? :wink: )
-w: anyone but Bush (sorry, off-topic, but couldn't resist).
"What a mess the world is in. The meek shall inherit the earth, it is said.... What have those poor people done to deserve that?"
Captain Vimes, Feet of Clay

Visit OB's Thud Pages.
Oograh Boike

Postby technofairy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 01:43 pm

Hi! Many of you will know me (or will have seen various parts of my unclothed anatomy on the internet) already!

I have been a DW reader since 1989, and been attending Cons and CCDEs since 1998!
Fave DW book: probably Night Watch, but with Carpe Jugulum and Fifth Elephant being close runners up.
Fave DW character: don't make me choose between Vimes and Vetinari!!!!!!
Fave item of DW memorabilia: signed photo of Stephen Briggs in the nude.

For more info go here http://www.steelpan.co.uk or here http://www.technofairy.com

Come and say hi to me on the BursarVixen stall at the CCDE!!
Official discworld charity CD!
find out more here!
dw fanart here!
technofairy

Postby witchfromlancre » Sun Jul 17, 2005 05:45 pm

Hi,

Name: Margaret.
Live: According to British Airways it's the third weirdest town in the world. Age: 56
Partner of 7 years: Gareth, 38.
Children: Steve, 38. Erica, 29.
Grandchildren: Nicole, 10, Clair, 8 1/2, Ben, 7.

All, with the exception of Erica and addition of my mother, 76, huge TP and DW fans. Steve and I have all the books including pre-DW, mainly 1st Eds, some signed, in HB and PB.

I collect the Clarecraft figures, have the Portrait Heads and full set of McFeegles, all sorts of odds and ends including the vids and DVDs. Saving for one of Bernard's bigger sculptures. Collect the stamps and special covers, proof sheets etc. but have some missing. I receive the Journal.

Music: Extremely varied. From African Drumming to Heavy Rock with all in between.

Books: I cannot imagine life without them. I have a really varied taste but dislike romances. I especially like SF and Fantasy, Horror, Murder and Mystery.

Favourite DW Character: Have many but guess it has to be Death
Favourite DW Book: changes all the time
witchfromlancre

Postby tonybro » Mon Jul 18, 2005 07:47 pm

Well, where to start really?

New to the fora but old hand with Pterry and discworld - started in 1983! Have virtually all of the books - most more than once.

Now the wrong side of 39 ;-) and married to my darling, but long suffering, wife Jane. We have two terrors, one of which is about to start University, the other hasn't come close to finishing primary school yet - timing was never one of my strong points!

I have worked in Telecommunications sales since 1988 and currently deal with Government Departments :?

We have found ourselves in Chorley in Lancashire but I've lived all over the UK and in Germany.

I am an avid reader, particularly Sci-Fi and Fantasy, keen photographer, gadget freak and general idiot on a pair of skis or a mountain bike upon which two forms of motion I have unsuccessfully raced....

With all Terry's books its hard to name a favourite but The Colour of Magic and Mort stand out. Favourite characters are also numerous - I admire Rincewind and his philosophy on life (and more particularly death!), Twoflower's luggage always appealed and I've not had any success in buying any anywhere! Gytha and Granny deserve a mention as do Mort and Death. Sam Vimes and Corporal 'Nobby' Nobbs don't get away lightly either. I'll stop there as I'm sure there's a limit on each posting!

Major gripe about Pterry's books - they are not available as e-books :evil: I carry around in excess of thirty other books but can't get hold of Discworld ones - aaargh!

Must stop now, the people have come back in with my nice white jacket, you know the one - with the buckles up the back :wink:
Tony Brookes

Chorley
Lancashire
UK

'Why is there only 1 word for Thesaurus?'
tonybro

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:18 pm

Helo Guvna's

Name's Doug Ward.

Live in Fitchburg, Massachusetts with my wife (Kimberly), two kids TWINS (Rowan/Girl and Gavin/Boy) both 9 months old.

We have two cats, Wren and Mewgar (who is a dead ringer for Greebo, if he wasn't left outside to fight anything and everything.

I'm 32 and my wife will be 31 this Sunday!

Other than Discworld, Stephen King is a good topic to discuss around me and talking long walks with my kids in their stroller to get back into some sort of shape. :D
In hard times remember the Great God Om's first words: HEY! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!

BOSTON STRONG!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby BigH » Sat Jul 23, 2005 07:24 am

Hi, real name's Howard, 34. Live near Loughborough with my gorgeous g/friend and 2 dogs.

Fly power kites, play 6-a-side footie every week and collect far too many things including Trading Cards (especially CSI at moment), pins, Top Trumps, designer toys (CardBoy, Qee, Kubrick) and as of about 1 month ago Discworld Stamps. Also (being a child of the 70's !) have a huge collection of Star Wars (non-vintage, but mostly pre-Ep1) in the loft, which I'd now love to get rid of (for the right price obviously) !
BigH

Postby Silmaril » Sat Jul 23, 2005 05:14 pm

Hi! I'm 19, live in Edinburgh (Scotland), and read a lot. I've been a fan of Pratchett for some years now. My favourite books are probably the witches series, in particular Carpe Jugulum, and more recently the ones featuring Tiffany. I'm also a Tolkien fan (as you may have guessed from my screen name and avatar), and am currently getting in to Bernard Cornwell. I will read almost anything (including cereal packets). I like going to the cinema, and also the theatre when I can afford it!

Oh, and I'm a student. I'll be starting my second year this September. My main subject is English Lit., last year I also studied Philosophy and Classical Lit., next year I'm carrying on with Classics, and have still to decide what my other course will be.

I look forward to spending some time here. :)
DeborahAJB My website.
Silmaril

Postby Ceriphinz » Sun Jul 24, 2005 09:29 am

Hi

My names Paul, I'm 25 from Hamilton, New Zealand. I've been reading Discworld for a decade now and have most of the books (the autographed copy of The Truth is one of my prized items since Terry doesn't visit here all that often). I've also recently aquired the Discworld CD which is great and got permission to use one of the books characters in a short film I'm directing - it's all a bit hush hush though.

I teach at the University of Waikato, Screen and Media dept (recently graded as the best in New Zealand by the govt - but still no payrise :roll: ) I'm also chaiman of the Regional Film office, married with three kids (Aged 7, 6 and 3) and am in the process of making about a dozen things in some capacity all the time. (I do not know Peter Jackson which is usually the first question I get asked after people read this)

This place seems nice
Ceriphinz

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 24, 2005 05:51 pm

My name's Tony. I'm 46 and come from Cardiff Wales. I've been a fan of Terry Pratchett since the Colour of Magic came out and my brother let me read it. I've eagerly awaited every new book since then.

People who have met me say that I bear a resemblence to the great man. I'm certainly thinking of seeing if he needs a stunt double.

Until recently I was posting on the Harper Collins Terry Pratchett site. It seems to be that you can't get a decent chat about Terry on that site due to a couple of very aggressive people who see themselves as 'board elders'.

Anyhow, I want to talk Pratchett with people who love Pratchett so I've come here.

I hope to get to know you all real soon and I hope I don't come across as pushy. :)
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby WeeMadArthur » Sun Jul 24, 2005 09:51 pm

Hello. My name is Gareth. I am the long suffering partner of WitchFromLancre. I am dyslexic and will use the wrong words even though we have an IE spell check but will try my best.

I really like Discworld but am not as crazy as Margaret. I buy the audio books and lend them from the library as well . I am the one who pays for Margaret's Discworld figures and pictures and the rest.

I had a great time and learnt a lot more about the stamps. When I came home I got her stamps out. I didn't know she had so many and I am going to sort them out. She has them in the envelopes they were delivered in. It was just like her filing being left for a year. Typical :!:

From now on they are our stamps not her's :D
WeeMadArthur

PreviousNext

Return to The Welcome Mat