Discworld

Fat-alists Gym 2009

Local meetings of the Flatalist Society branches.

Postby Catch-up » Fri Aug 28, 2009 02:48 pm

I know how you feel Kirsty! I'm a biscuit & cake-aholic too. If something like that is in the house I can't leave it alone. And I've had to scold Derek because he does the "go on, one won't hurt" or "are you sure you don't want more?" thing. :roll:

And congratulations Mark!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Dragonlady » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:18 am

:shock:

I've lost 3 1/4 pounds over the last 2 weeks. I wasn't expecting to have lost anything after Wadfest and last week - I've done no workouts at all and eating has been a little 'relaxed'...

I am aiming to lose 7 lbs by the beginning of October - so this should help out a lot! :D
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

http://www.inspiredtowalk.co.uk/ Kilimanjaro 2013 or bust!
Dragonlady

Postby Catch-up » Sat Aug 29, 2009 01:03 pm

Great job! :D

What do you think is contributing most to your weight loss?
Catch-up

Postby Dragonlady » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:58 am

This week I honestly don't know. :oops:

However, up until now I've been changing my way of thinking about food. Food is fuel, so I try to see what I'm eating as a proportion of my daily calorie allowance and then try to work out if what I want to eat is the best return for the calorie consumption - I try to eat around 1500-2000 calories a day and a chocolate bar can be about 200 calories, or from 1/10th of my daily allowance - is that worth it? No, probably not, it's instant gratification but very little in the way of nutritional value. A low fat yoghurt or some fruit is better. If I absolutely have to have chocolate (usually at work), I have a mini bar of green and black's maya orange dark chocolate in my desk drawer and I know that it's 16 calories a square. One or two of those dissolved on my tongue slowly is usually enough to deal with it, and 16 or 32 calories is a suitable 'investment'

I've also worked on our portion sizes so that we're both eating less. We still eat enough, but protein and carbs are limited, with the mass of the meal made up by vegetables. Luckily I enjoy cooking, so we don't tend to eat much in the way of processed foods with hidden fats. Yesterday I made mini vegiburgers to go in the freezer, for instance, and I know that they are both lower in calories than the ready made versions, and tastier.

On the flip side, I am trying to make sure that I exercise hard 4 or so times a week - to the point of an empty tank. If possible, I like to exercise before I eat, because it seems to work for me best that way - supposedly the energy is replaced by the carbs and the muscle mass is replenished by the protein (no idea if that's true or not, but it stops me from feeling sick, so that's the main thing!).

I'm allowing myself time to exercise in the evening, too. I don't have to spend every waking minute at home cooking or cleaning, or sat slumped in front of the computer or tv. I'm allowed to spend half an hour to an hour exercising, and the world won't end. I sleep better, and food seems to taste nicer too!

And, when all is said and done, exercising means that I end up taking in fewer calories than I use in a day, which is really the only guaranteed way to do it, isn't it? :wink:

Dragonlady

Postby Darren » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:22 am

I've had a similar experience concerning Wadfest. I was expecting to have put on a fair bit (3 days of living essentially on <insert fried food here> and chips), but I actually seemed to have lost a couple of pounds (now 13st 8lb, or about 86kg for those of a metric persuasion).

That said I'm still about 3-4 pounds over due to the fortnight holiday about a month ago now, but it's very gradually shifting, and I'm not any broader around the waist (given I'm now gym'ing too, wondering if it's weight from bulking up a bit).
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Dragonlady » Sun Aug 30, 2009 01:24 pm

That is more than possible Darren - muscle is denser than fat.

If you've been heading to the gym before Wadfest too that may also account for the unexpected shift in weight - muscle burns more calories while resting than the fat it replaced did - at least for a little while until it gives up and leaves...

Luckily for me, 2 years ago Loz and I, plus some others decided that we really didn't feel well after living off of <insert fried food here> and chips from the van for a weekend and we'd prefer to have something 'proper' instead. This gets even worse if you're trying to camp for the week before hand!

Which was why this Wadfest you found us all camped in a 'corral' complete with 3 camp kitchen stands, 8 burners between us, 3 tables and an awful lot of saucepans, in an almost proper kitchen arrangement. We did pretty well too, if I do say so myself. Mainly we took it in turns to come up with what to cook for tea, shared the cost of ingredients, and shared a spot of communal cooking (the best kind IMHO), and got Small to do the washing up (which he manfully did for the whole week with hardly a murmur! :shock: ) :D

Dragonlady

Postby Darren » Sun Aug 30, 2009 04:30 pm

Doesn't work so well when you're staying at the Travellodge though ;) But at least we managed to avoid the lure of the Little Chef, and just had corn flakes for brekkie. Hence the disappointment voiced elsewhere about the lack of jacket spuds at the van at Wadfest.

Yes I've been gym'ing for about 3 months now, albeit on several occasions interrupted by holiday and/or work abroad. Not enough to have huge effects yet, but slowly working on it.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Fat-alists Gym 2009

Postby Lazzagami » Sun Aug 30, 2009 05:29 pm

I got a GP referral to join the local gym, went for the induction on Tuesday and spent the vast amount of 3 mins cycle machine, 3 mins arm cycle machine and 2 mins on the treadmill going at slowest setting.

Wednesday back had gone, rest of week strong painkillers and lots of sleep, who said exercise is good for you :cry:

And that´s under supervision :roll:
yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, which is why it's called the present.
Lazzagami

Postby Dragonlady » Sun Aug 30, 2009 05:30 pm

Yeah - I'm pleased that I don't have to deal with Travelodges and their like!

Fear not - the lack of non-fried food in the van will be brought up at the next committee meeting :D

Dragonlady

Postby Mazzie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 08:49 am

I've been trying to lose weight for some time now, but at my last doctor's visit was told that I have a borderline underactive thyroid. :?
Mazzie

Postby Statsman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 08:57 am

Weighed myself yesterday & I'm back to 14 stone 10 so looking to shift 10 pounds by year end
Yes it will be in this brown envelope, I know it will.... Oh maybe not
Statsman

Re: Fat-alists Gym 2009

Postby Mme les Deux-Epees » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:29 am

Lazzagami wrote:I got a GP referral to join the local gym, went for the induction on Tuesday and spent the vast amount of 3 mins cycle machine, 3 mins arm cycle machine and 2 mins on the treadmill going at slowest setting.

Wednesday back had gone, rest of week strong painkillers and lots of sleep, who said exercise is good for you :cry:

And that´s under supervision :roll:

Poor you- hope you are feeling better soon
Cazza no7 of The Dolly Sisters
Mme les Deux-Epees

Postby Mme les Deux-Epees » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:32 am

My weight gain has been since a back injury cut down my cycling etc but what made it worse is the********* menopause. I just read a book that says 50% of women never get their waist back after the menopause.......shall I slit my wrists now? :lol:
Cazza no7 of The Dolly Sisters
Mme les Deux-Epees

Postby Catch-up » Mon Aug 31, 2009 07:46 pm

Dragonlady wrote:This week I honestly don't know. :oops:

This may sound weird, but when I go through a stretch where I'm really eating poorly, I swear I lose weight before it catches up to me. :?

I think I've gained a couple lbs back. :( Haven't been doing so well lately with the sweets and the exercising.
Catch-up

Postby Basement » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:19 pm

Weighed myself today, was pleased to see the end figure at 10 3/4. It was up at 13 after Wadfest! Still a way to go to what I want.

Congrats to all the losers on here! :D
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

PreviousNext

Return to Regional Meetings