Discworld

Tyne & Wear Branch? Summer Day Out Take Two

Local meetings of the Flatalist Society branches.

Re: Tyne & Wear Branch? Summer Day Out Take Two

Postby bezam » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:09 am

Just a reminder that the 31st July is looking good for our Durham Day Out.

If any other Flatalists are in the area that day you are welcome to come along and join us. Add your name to the list.

Saturday 31st
Attending
Joculator & Joculatrix
Jonty, Debs and Larissa
LibrarianK (so far happy with both, have to check with Steve, lol)
Mazzie (have informed Liz, she's fine as far as I know)

Unable to attend and getting a bit sick that I've missed umpteen regional meets/days out now (well, ok only 4)
bezam :cry: :x
I will be at the convention!
bezam

Postby Mazzie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:14 am

Awww no :( Sorry you aren't coming :( Will see you at the convention though then!
"The question seldom addressed is where Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the deodorant bottle."
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby bezam » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:25 pm

Not wishing to tempt fate or anything, but the rota has changed (yet again!) and I'm now off so fingers crossed, I may be there after all :D
bezam

Postby Mazzie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 02:51 pm

\o/ YAY!
"The question seldom addressed is where Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the deodorant bottle."
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby Joculator » Fri Jul 23, 2010 04:55 pm

The more, the merrier. Although I'm still trying to find a prize for the treasure hunt.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, just like grandpa. Not screaming and panicking like his passengers.
Joculator

Postby Mazzie » Sun Jul 25, 2010 03:08 pm

Attending
Joculator & Joculatrix
Jonty, Debs and Larissa
LibrarianK (so far happy with both, have to check with Steve, lol)
Mazzie (Liz is working so can't come)
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby LibrarianK » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:02 am

My better half, Graeme is hoping to tag along, if thats ok
Ook
LibrarianK

Postby jonty » Fri Jul 30, 2010 07:20 pm

LibrarianK wrote:My better half, Graeme is hoping to tag along, if thats ok

No problems Kim, the more the merrier
.Life is a sexually transmitted disease and there is a 100% mortality rate. ~R.D. Laing
jonty

Postby jonty » Sat Jul 31, 2010 07:35 pm

A grand and enjoyable day out in Durham.

Special thanks goes to :

Stan (Joculator) for organising this and the treasure hunt round the City of Durham
Kim (Librarian K) who although could not be with us, sent the devilish quiz with Steve.
Ian (Bezam) for dragging his way all the way up to Durham to be with us

Everyone met at the Swan and 3, where memberships cards were distributed by Stan (nice one mate) and after light liquid refreshment the Quiz was tackled, In Kim's absence (Not too well) I took on the role of quiz master for a well thought out and difficult quiz, based on the Tiffany aching books, out of a possible 55 points the scores were as follows

Larissa and Steve...........9 points
Judi (Joculatrix) ............11 points
Ian (Bezam)..................12 points
Marie (Mazzie)...............14 points
Stan (Joculator)..............15 points
Jonty (Jonty)..................17 points :oops:

Yep! the stand in quizmaster won the quiz, (thanks to Steves Feegle T-shirt :twisted: ) but, honest the answers were in a sealed envelope until the quiz was completed, anyway the prize that Kim supplied for the quiz was put to one side for the next meeting when Kim and the other absent brethren (and sistren) will be in attendance.

The treasure hunt , arranged by Stan, started at the Swan and 3, and took us all on a merry dance around the city, through the city, under the bridges, over the river and all of it mainly uphill. The clues were inspired! (by what? I don't know? but very educational ) and each clue had have either the name of a building object or photograph of the same. the hunt ended back at the Swan and 3, two hours after it started. There the sheets were checked, for answers, photo's and time taken. As a result it ended up in a three way tie between, Marie, Steve and Ian. many tie breakers were were given, before Marie came up with a correct answer ahead of the other two and claimed the prize Stan had supplied.

A good day out in good company, hopefully Stan will supply the photographic evidence of this days work :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
.Life is a sexually transmitted disease and there is a 100% mortality rate. ~R.D. Laing
jonty

Postby Mazzie » Sat Jul 31, 2010 08:18 pm

The day was really great fun, thanks to Stan for organising that awesome treasure hunt!!!! Pity the council sabotaged it :( The membership cards are awesome!

Thanks to Kim for the awesome quiz and the substantial clue to one of the questions she sent in her stead!

Thanks to Jonty for organising the whole thing and kindly giving me and my bodhran a lift to Durham, even if I didn't get to use it :D
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby Joculator » Sat Jul 31, 2010 09:17 pm

No thanks necessary guys... The whole success was due to the members participation on the day. Pity the council took away 25% of the course although I doubt Jonty would be inclined to agree :) It takes a lot younger man to tackle almost all the hills of Durham in one day.

Thanks also to Kim for supplying a devillishly fiendish quiz. I didn't do too bad at second place without using Steve's T-shirt as a crib sheet :)

Photographs of the day are on my Facebook pages in the Tyne & Wear Flatalists album. It should be available to non members as well.

I'll be processing the rest of the shots to correct a few perspective errors which are inevitable when at the base of a tall building, but I will pack them up for you to download by Sunday. There's about 60+ shots( not including the ones I took for myself of a rather hot pair of 'hot pants' :) ) Requests in plain LBE's for copies. :lol:
Last edited by Joculator on Mon Aug 02, 2010 02:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, just like grandpa. Not screaming and panicking like his passengers.
Joculator

Postby LibrarianK » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:13 pm

I have been cheered up considerably knowing you all enjoyed my quiz, Steve's T-Shirt was in no way planned, honest, lol
Ook
LibrarianK

Postby bezam » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:16 pm

LibrarianK wrote:I have been cheered up considerably knowing you all enjoyed my quiz

For a given value of enjoyed! Very devious for a relatively concise subject matter and revealing a lot of gaps in knowledge :oops: I commend you for it!

Stan, the tour of Durham was a wonderful stroll/saunter/hike/trek/marathon (delete as appropriate) and such a novel idea - thank you

To the rest of you, thanks for a fun day out & see you at the next one!
bezam

Postby Mazzie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 09:09 am

Was only a marathon if you got lost :P Or decided to go up the hill to investigate the entish tree :P
(That's all of us then!)
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby LibrarianK » Mon Sep 27, 2010 03:08 pm

Looking forward to meeting up again :)
Ook
LibrarianK

Previous

Return to Regional Meetings