Discworld

Tyne and Wear Branch 2011 summer meet

Local meetings of the Flatalist Society branches.

Re: Tyne and Wear Branch 2011 summer meet

Postby Mazzie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 09:32 am

Joculator wrote:Besides... traffic will have had time to settle long before meeting time and is about 4 miles away from Jonty's gaff.

That's what you think. Last year they were backed right up to the Metro.
"The question seldom addressed is where Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the deodorant bottle."
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby jonty » Fri Jul 29, 2011 09:38 am

Mazzie wrote:
Joculator wrote:Besides... traffic will have had time to settle long before meeting time and is about 4 miles away from Jonty's gaff.

Also it's less than a mile to Seaburn Seafront from my gaff
.Life is a sexually transmitted disease and there is a 100% mortality rate. ~R.D. Laing
jonty

Postby Mazzie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:32 am

jonty wrote:
Mazzie wrote:

Also it's less than a mile to Seaburn Seafront from my gaff

That's what I was thinking...
"The question seldom addressed is where Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the deodorant bottle."
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby Joculator » Fri Jul 29, 2011 05:28 pm

Last Air Show I saw at Sunderland, it was held at Washington Airport... and I got Wilbur's and Orville's autographs to prove it. :D

So they finally opened Whitburn International Airport then?
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, just like grandpa. Not screaming and panicking like his passengers.
Joculator

Postby LibrarianK » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Thanks to everyone for a great day, Thank you Jonty for a lovely meal and your superb hospitality. It was great to meet Hilary and Gavin, I must say coming last in the quiz was not my plan but it twas a very long quiz. Now have some more things to put in my album and look forward to next time, well done Mazzie, looking forward to your quiz, ook :D :D
Ook
LibrarianK

Postby Joculator » Sun Jul 31, 2011 04:51 am

Once again the Tyne and Wear horde met at Jonty's gaff for the summer meet. The "excess traffic" predicted as a result of the Air Show, meant that most of us arrived about half an hour earlier than normal... except for one who arrived 'fashionably late' - I mention no names!!
A great day thanks to Jonty's skill in the kitchen with knife, fork and rammer and two additional guests from south of the Tees in the form of Hilary from Wiltshire and Gavin from 'Ull. A pleasure to meet you guys. (photo)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31408863&l=47b22aa468&id=1564240759

Hilary supplied a very collectable gift in the form of a printing die (one of only two, I think she said)... (photo)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31408864&l=7abe7e1973&id=1564240759

And as usual, Joculator, supplied a hefty (2.5Kg) Beer and Cheese Battle Loaf. To assist everyone tackle the obligatory quiz. (photo)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31408862&l=7c0a3ed5aa&id=1564240759

The quiz was a beast this time... A multimedia "Master's Quiz" of 100 questions which was met with mixed feelings I think. The younger ones managed it with very few problems, apart from supplying the correct answers; but as usual, Jonty (one of the old buggers) managed to get himself disqualified for referring to his fellow Macken as a "Geordie". It's a Northern thing, but is tantamount to a hanging offence up here. :lol:

So name and shame time... there were actually 124 points up for grabs and here are the results.

Jonty - 47 (disqualified)
Gavin - 30
Kim - 7
Steve - 21
Hilary - 20
Mazzie - 40 well done, you're "IT" for the next quiz. :thumbr:

I'm sure there will be comments... Watch this space.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, just like grandpa. Not screaming and panicking like his passengers.
Joculator

Postby jonty » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 pm

Bummer, lost out on that one, however, on taking Hilary to a local watering hole tonight, she was lucky enough to win £168 on the bingo which was spilt between the two of us :D

Als0, Stan's epic quiz has been passed on to Gavin who will present it at Pats next Skipton chapter meet................ Lets see how they do :twisted:
.Life is a sexually transmitted disease and there is a 100% mortality rate. ~R.D. Laing
jonty

Postby Mazzie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:00 am

Joculator wrote: The "excess traffic" predicted as a result of the Air Show, meant that most of us arrived about half an hour earlier than normal... except for one who arrived 'fashionably late' - I mention no names!!

-.- I had a hard enough job fighting my way through the crowds!

Thank you so, so much to Jonty who once again proved his mastery at cooking. That lasagne was BEAUTIFUL. Also thanks to Stan for the quiz (complete with random animal noises!) which I surprisingly didn't suck at as much as I thought I would! Also forgot to mention, the Beer-and-Cheese-Bread was nice!!! It was great to see Gavin again and lovely to finally meet Hilary, as well as catch up with the Geordie contingent ;) Thank you to whoever it was who supplied the stamps, which decorated Jonty's entire tabletop throughout most of the meeting (they are addictive, aren't they).
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby Colin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 01:19 pm

jonty wrote: Als0, Stan's epic quiz has been passed on to Gavin who will present it at Pats next Skipton chapter meet................ Lets see how they do :twisted:

:shock:
Past my 'Sell-By' date.
Elder Grumpy Old Man.
Colin

Postby Mazzie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 03:17 pm

Muwhahahaha! BEWARE! (and get a comfy chair)
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby Gavin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 03:32 pm

What a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon, with friends old and new. A big thank you to Jonty for being an excellent host and for his fine food, Stan for the quiz and most of all everyone for such nice company. Who knows I may visit again :D

Be warned Northern Institute members the quiz was a lot worse than anything Pat or Bezam have ever come up with - the best thing about it is I don't have to do it again :D :D :D (only joking Stan)
Gavin

Postby Colin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 04:15 pm

Gavin wrote:What a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon, with friends old and new. A big thank you to Jonty for being an excellent host and for his fine food, Stan for the quiz and most of all everyone for such nice company. Who knows I may visit again :D

Be warned Northern Institute members the quiz was a lot worse than anything Pat or Bezam have ever come up with - the best thing about it is I don't have to do it again :D :D :D (only joking Stan)

... aaah, but you have memorised all the answers, haven't you Gavin ... :twisted:
Past my 'Sell-By' date.
Elder Grumpy Old Man.
Colin

Postby Hilary » Wed Aug 03, 2011 07:47 am

... aaah, but you have memorised all the answers, haven't you Gavin ... :twisted:

Impossible, I should think. There were 100 questions, some of which were multi-part.

It was great to meet old and new friends, and so kind to lay on an air display as well. (Complete with Vulcan bomber - now I see what all the fuss is about, Colin.)
The quiz was an exercise in ritual humiliation as far as I was concerned. My score was in the 'only here for the food' range, but there's some truth in that.

A big thank you to the Tyne & Wear Branch (and Northern affiliates) for being so welcoming, and guiding me gently through the Sunderland v Newcastle debate. You are, of course, all mad, and all the better for it.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else - J M Barrie
Hilary

Previous

Return to Regional Meetings