Discworld

EEB Rare Day in June

Local meetings of the Flatalist Society branches.

Please choose your preferred rare Saturday in June (there are only 4, you know).

Poll ended at Fri Jun 03, 2011 06:10 pm

June 4
No votes
June 11
No votes
June 18
No votes
June 25
100%

Total votes : 5

EEB Rare Day in June

Postby phalarope » Sun May 29, 2011 06:10 pm

Choices, choices!

FYI, your moderator will be unavailable on June 18th, but is open for a guest host volunteer if that date suits the most people.

Anilore is preparing the quiz and we will be raffling an EEB LBE. If you wish to participate in the raffle (s), I will need 4 GCTS from you, if you have not already sent yours in.

Mazzie has proposed trying Skype for this meeting. Not sure how this would work for the quiz - can one Skype and do Messenger at the same time?
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Re: EEB Rare Day in June

Postby annebn » Sun May 29, 2011 09:37 pm

I voted for the 25th, on the basis that I may be able to make that, but not any of the others. Depends how fast I get the internet acces working once I move back to Denmark.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Mazzie » Mon May 30, 2011 10:26 am

phalarope wrote:can one Skype and do Messenger at the same time?

You can run both programs at the same time, and maybe use one to talk and the other to chat. But with experience I find that those actually talking will say more than they type - thus those who can't hear them are missing out. I'm not sure how everyone feels about it, but I would think for this to work everyone would need to be behind it.

You don't need a microphone, just headphones - Skype has a chat facility just like MSN. The quiz could be done the normal way in either program, via text chat, and if we're using Skype we could just use the voice part to chat before/after the quiz.

If we did it on voice we could have a 'bring-your-own-buzzer' thing, which could be hilarious. However, Skype does indicate who is speaking at any one time by highlighting their avatar on the screen.

Oh, and I'm free for all of those, beside the 18th. It's my birthday a couple of days beforehand and I may be busy that Saturday.
"The question seldom addressed is where Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the deodorant bottle."
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby Anilori » Mon May 30, 2011 06:24 pm

At least on Messenger you can't hear my accent :oops: :mrgreen: And I've never used Skype, but I'm ready to learn...

4, 11, 18 or 25 will be fine, although I'm not sure I'll be able to have a quiz ready for the 4th, I've never done one ^^
Anilori

Postby archerinwood » Mon May 30, 2011 06:34 pm

I have skype, so I would prefer this.
I will be playing Thenardier at the Theatre royal in Margate, Kent from 24th July to 28th. If you are in the area at the time please click the link to get more info:
http://www.theatreroyalmargate.com/~the ... %2Fles-misérables

Thanks
archerinwood

Postby Mazzie » Tue May 31, 2011 01:21 pm

Anilori wrote:At least on Messenger you can't hear my accent :oops: :mrgreen:

What's wrong with your accent, I would like to know?
"The question seldom addressed is where Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the deodorant bottle."
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby archerinwood » Tue May 31, 2011 01:28 pm

anilori's french.
I will be playing Thenardier at the Theatre royal in Margate, Kent from 24th July to 28th. If you are in the area at the time please click the link to get more info:

Thanks
archerinwood

Postby Mazzie » Tue May 31, 2011 01:41 pm

I know :P As much of a sin that is :P
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby archerinwood » Tue May 31, 2011 01:57 pm

j'adore l'accent francais.

Thanks
archerinwood

Postby Anilori » Tue May 31, 2011 04:13 pm

Mazzie knows what I sound like ^^ And I don't know if there's anything wrong with it, but it might be wiser to use the text chat at least for the quiz, lest everyone goes 'what?' instead of actually trying to answer :) Anyway, in any case I'll do my best!
Anilori

Postby Mazzie » Tue May 31, 2011 10:26 pm

Anilori wrote:it might be wiser to use the text chat at least for the quiz, lest everyone goes 'what?' instead of actually trying to answer :)

That would be quite entertaining :P
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby phazedout » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:40 pm

poll eneded on june third *cries*

this is all getting terrbly organised, I'm quite happy in skype, msn fills the teeny tiny screen of what i use with too much guff.
Phaze
on the "drunken idiot neighbour abounds, parked his car diganolly across the front of his driveway at 01:20 AM yesterday" ID
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Kelshandra » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Someone may want to check this, but I heard the other day (while listening to a techy podcast) that Skype only allows up to 8 people. May be an issue, depending on how many people take part this month.
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2010 and 2018 Yearbooks- 2017 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby phalarope » Mon Jun 20, 2011 03:41 pm

Erm........ I am having my arm twisted to be otherwhere on the 25th, doing something that I've actually somewhat obligated myself to do (not knowing that it would actually come to fruition on the 25th). Would one of you delightful people like to be tyrant - I mean - host for a day? Perhaps Mazzie to keep all the Skypeing under control? It's an EEB raffle month, but that's not hard - there are only 4 of us and will be only 3 if I'm not there.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phalarope » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:20 am

Bump.

It's today, folks! Be there or be a rectangular thingy. Your host will not be skypeing; have not had the time to set it up on the laptop.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Next

Return to Regional Meetings