Discworld

EEB Rare Day in June

Local meetings of the Flatalist Society branches.

Please choose your preferred rare Saturday in June (there are only 4, you know).

Poll ended at Fri Jun 03, 2011 06:10 pm

June 4
No votes
June 11
No votes
June 18
No votes
June 25
100%

Total votes : 5

Re: EEB Rare Day in June

Postby Anilori » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:06 am

Sorry for not posting the quiz right away, I was quite out of order yesterday night when it ended and went right to bed.

The theme was the Trojan War, since after the American Revolution and birds I figured I'd be fine with that. When some people asked what "Trojan" meant (and got the expected answer :mrgreen: ) I started worrying slightly, and when everyone started ignoring my questions altogether I panicked a bit - but it turned out it was just an MSN bug and I was the only one who could actually see the questions. Anyway, here they were:

1/ Argus is one of the only Homeric characters who died happy. Who was he?
Answer: Odysseus' dog. He lived long enough to see his master come back after 20 years and died right on the doorstep.

2/ Which Trojan warrior was whisked off the battlefield by his mum and went on to found the ancestor of Rome?
Answer: Aeneas, son of Aphrodite.

3/ Who refused to fight and sat in a tent for three quarters of the Iliad?
Answer: Achilles

4/ What was the name of James Joyce's rewriting of the Odyssey?
Answer: Ulysses

5/ How many sons did King Priam have?
Answer: 50 (seriously... well, at the beginning of the war, at least), but I gave Kris half a point for "2, Hector and Paris", since they were the only two who really mattered and the film adaptation wisely left out the 48 others.

6/ What modern country are the ruins of Troy in?
Answer: In Turkey

7/ Which family in Dune has the same name as Agamemnon and Menelas' line?
Answer: The Atreides

8/ Which hero went to the Underworld?
Answer: since the theme was the Trojan War, I expected Odysseus (or various alternative spellings thereof :p) but awarded points to those who said Orpheus. Mentioning the Cancan was a bonus :)

9/ Where was Achilles mortally wounded?
Answer: The heel, but "at Troy" would have been accepted :mrgreen:

10/ Who wrote the SF novel 'Ilium', inspired by the Trojan War myths?
Answer: Dan Simmons

11/ Which of the Doctor's companions was from Ancient Troy?
Answer: Katarina, in the Hartnell days, but 'I seem to remember she died' was deemed a sufficient answer :)

12/ Which goddess protected Odysseus and his family?
Answer: Athena

13/ Which ancient Greek philosopher wanted to censor Homer on grounds of immorality?
Answer: Plato. I figured this one was a matter of "one chance in three" ^^

14/ One of these heroes didn't fight at Troy: Heracles, Hector, Ajax.
Answer: Heracles

15/ What kind of animal was in the film Troy that definitely shouldn't have been there?
Answer: A llama (seriously)

16/ Who complained "For Hecuba! What's Hecuba to him, or he to Hecuba…" ?
Answer: Hamlet

16 and a half/ Who was Hecuba, by the way?
Answer: The Queen of Troy

17/ Who won the war, the Greeks or the Trojans?
Answer: The Greeks, but the person who answered "The Geeks" was not too far out, since the quiz was easily won by Mazzie, thanks to her self-admitted geekiness. Congratulations!

In the country raffle, our host Phalarope became the Empress of Mali and subsequently had to look it up on a map :P She's started a collection of Territories Beginning with an M, for unspecified purposes. Should we be afraid?
Anilori

Previous

Return to Regional Meetings