Discworld

Question for any Birmingham folks!

Local meetings of the Flatalist Society branches.

Question for any Birmingham folks!

Postby Mazzie » Sun May 20, 2012 10:28 am

Are there any regional meets around your area? I have a friend who lives down there :)
"The question seldom addressed is where Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the deodorant bottle."
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Re: Question for any Birmingham folks!

Postby Colin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 07:11 pm

Not that I know of, Mazzie - Sue & I travel to The Frozen North,aka Skipton, as Founder Members of The Northern Institute.
Well,I say travel ... Sadly, just recently we have missed far too many meets. :(
Past my 'Sell-By' date.
Elder Grumpy Old Man.
Colin

Postby jonty » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:40 am

Colin wrote:Not that I know of, Mazzie - Sue & I travel to The Frozen North,aka Skipton, as Founder Members of The Northern Institute.
Well,I say travel ... Sadly, just recently we have missed far too many meets. :(

Frozen North? try travelling a further 110 miles north to attend one of ours :wink:
.Life is a sexually transmitted disease and there is a 100% mortality rate. ~R.D. Laing
jonty

Postby Colin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 04:01 pm

jonty wrote:
Colin wrote:Not that I know of, Mazzie - Sue & I travel to The Frozen North,aka Skipton, as Founder Members of The Northern Institute.

Frozen North? try travelling a further 110 miles north to attend one of ours :wink:

Would love to Jonty, but I don't speak the language ... :wink:
Past my 'Sell-By' date.
Elder Grumpy Old Man.
Colin

Postby chrisanunder » Fri Apr 26, 2013 08:27 pm

If there are fellow Brummies who want to start a group, it would be good. Would be great in future to meet people locally before events like Hogswatch and maybe share costume ideas/skills/props, or just generally be able to chat about dw without having to explain things to people who have never read a book. However Ihave discovered 1 or 2 fans at work, but generally Chris and I are the only 2 Pratchett fans we know well. Most people I mention eg Spring Fling and dressing up to think we're strange.
chrisanunder

Postby Mazzie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 03:40 pm

Best way to be, Chris :) Why be boring when you can be strange...
"The question seldom addressed is where Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the deodorant bottle."
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby Mazzie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 03:42 pm

Colin wrote:
jonty wrote:

Would love to Jonty, but I don't speak the language ... :wink:

What, English?
What language do you speak down there then?
(Incidentally, if it wasn't for us northerners you wouldn't be using plurals so :P)
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby Colin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 05:34 pm

Having just returned from a wonderful long weekend break in the Frozen North (Sunderland - based) with definitely-not-Disworld-fans friends, I can confirm that the scenery is wonderful, the attractions superb (Beamish, Rothbury area, Northumberland Coast Road, etc) and - without doubt - the Eldon Square & Metro Centre on Saturdays are the twin portals to a special circle of Hell!

I can also confirm that I could not speak the language, but the obliging locals - taking pity on us poor soft southern pansies - spoke *very slowly*. :shock:
Still mainly incomprehensible, but very entertaining and very easy on the ear! And one of them sold me a very useful guide to the local languages & customs :thumbr: :wink:

Highlight of the weekend? Asking our waiter in an Italian Restaurant (close to hotel on seafront north of Roker) 'which part of Italy are you from? Reply - Oporto! :oops:

I can certainly recommend Wearside / Tyneside for anyone wanting a great holiday - lovely people, very warm & friendly welcomes eveywhere we went!
Past my 'Sell-By' date.
Elder Grumpy Old Man.
Colin

Postby Mazzie » Thu Nov 07, 2013 01:14 pm

Colin wrote:Highlight of the weekend? Asking our waiter in an Italian Restaurant (close to hotel on seafront north of Roker) 'which part of Italy are you from? Reply - Oporto! :oops:

If said restaurant was literally on the sea front, Renta has encountered the same waiter.
~Soul Music
Mazzie

Postby Colin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 05:44 pm

Mazzie wrote:
Colin wrote:Highlight of the weekend? Asking our waiter in an Italian Restaurant (close to hotel on seafront north of Roker) 'which part of Italy are you from? Reply - Oporto! :oops:

If said restaurant was literally on the sea front, Renta has encountered the same waiter.

Said restaurant was indeed right on the seafront -- :thumbr:
Past my 'Sell-By' date.
Elder Grumpy Old Man.
Colin

Return to Regional Meetings