Discworld

The mural, munchies and moseying

Local meetings of the Flatalist Society branches.

The mural, munchies and moseying

Postby chrisboote » Tue May 26, 2015 03:20 pm

On BH Monday, Lilac Day(1) a bunch of us gathered at the Terry Mural on the walls of the Pillow Cinema in East London(2), just to admire the artwork, have lunch, and then ...
well to be honest at that point, any plans were more nebulous than a cloud over the Sahara

The mural is amazing
http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2015/0 ... rick-lane/
and well worth visiting, and our mob-handed flocking around meant that many passers-by asked what was happening - and subsequently, at least two have got in touch asking about more Discworld events around London - resulting in both heading off to find bookshops to buy more Terry(3)

We then ambled in the direction of Brick Lane, and as many of us had been at the Oxford Story Museum the previous couple of days, and and already partaken of delicious curries for dinner, and possibly lunch, decided to buck the obvious thematic culinary trends and go for a Chinese meal
Thirty of us
Without booking
On a bank Holiday Monday

So that was fine and dandy, and we ended up having effectively a twelve-course taster meal, with the nominated grown-up(4) wrangling the cash

After this, we split into groups; Pat and Jan went off to meet their daughter on one of her flying visits from the US Pacific North West, a few decided to head home, a largish group went with Richard on a Dickens Walk (hopefully the details of that will be appended below?), some went the cinema and a band of hardened drinkers went in search of a pub

In Banglatown (as that part of London was renamed, about three months after the majority Bangladeshi community had relocated, mostly to Barking and Newham, these are in short supply(5), so we ended up strolling down Shoreditch High Street to the previously nefarious Crown & Shuttle, ex-haunt of the Krays, David Bailey and Brazilian ladies who would jiggle their bits at you in exchange for a quid into a pint glass, but now a stripped-pine-floored, rough-brick-walled, saggy-sofa-furnished trendy pub, where said hardened drinkers managed a lemonade, a cup of tea, a fruit juice and a half of something, while we gossiped like old witches, reminisced like old men, and went home early like old fogeys

So it was, all in all, a pretty lovely day, with laughs, hugs(6) and even a few tears, but just emphasized what a gloriously inclusive(7) happy welcoming bunch we are

Names mostly omitted to protect the innocent(ish)(8)

(1) Also Towel day, and one of our number turned up with a lilac towel which was felt to be a) very cool, b) well prepared, seeing as she had brought it with her from France, and c) showing off in a completely acceptable way
(2) Or in the restaurant if you're a lovely lady renowned for your chronological inexactitude
(3) q.v. http://www.suzs-space.com/wp-content/up ... s-Loot.jpg
(4) Thanks Dad... er Nigel
(5) Whereas chocolate shops aren't. Mandy spied an excellent one, and fifteen minutes and several pounds later we emerged with cocoa rings around our mouths and bulging bags of deliciousness in our sweaty mitts
(6) Even those amongst us who are ordinarily uncomfortable with physical affection joined in with our hugging, because we are so lovely :)
(7) We even let a brand-new-to-us scouser come with us!
(8) And not because I'm crap at names, honest
chrisboote

Re: The mural, munchies and moseying

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed May 27, 2015 10:02 am

Don't know how to embed links to other posts, so have just copied & pasted from The Glorious 25th thread
Grace Speaker wrote:Spent a glorious 25th in the company of some wonderful people who were kind enough to welcome a newbie to their Discworld family :D :D :D We all met up at the STP mural just off Brick Lane - slightly to the bemusement of some locals and passers-by who came round the corner to be confronted by a large group of people, all happily adorned with sprigs of lilac and/or purple clothing. Took lots of photos before we all went off in search of lunch in one of the many local restaurants, much to the terror of the unsuspecting owners of said restaurants who weren't expecting such a big group at short notice! We ended up in a friendly Chinese restaurant, who provided some lovely food. Many lively conversations and much laughter followed, together with a short speech from Pat, after which we all raised a glass to our much loved and greatly missed, Sir Terry Pratchett.

Thank you all for a Glorious 25th! :thumbl:

I took lots of photos, which I shall endeavour to stitch together to make a panoramic photo of the whole mural which I will happily share with whoever wants a copy, but please bear with me as this will mean that I first have to download the appropriate software and then work out how to use said software!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Wed May 27, 2015 10:37 am

Grace Speaker wrote:Don't know how to embed links to other posts,!

Like this
ta da!
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby steeljam » Thu May 28, 2015 08:23 am

Off to Brick Lane today to photograph a few more pieces of street art, including the now finished mural.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu May 28, 2015 08:47 am

steeljam wrote:Off to Brick Lane today to photograph a few more pieces of street art, including the now finished mural.
I took your advice and went to Shoreditch High St station on Monday and enjoyed the street art on the walk to the mural itself, which really is a fantastic piece of artwork. I got some great shots of the mural and am planning to stitch them together into a single panoramic image - the only slight blip to that plan was the huge purple wheely-bin that was chained to the end of the wall on the right hand side, so if you manage to get a photo of that bit minus the wheely-bin please let me know :)
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Thu May 28, 2015 01:16 pm

Grace Speaker wrote: the only slight blip to that plan was the huge purple wheely-bin

Wasn't purple - it was lilac :D
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby steeljam » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:34 pm

chrisboote wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote: the only slight blip to that plan was the huge purple wheely-bin

Wasn't purple - it was lilac :D
Damn thing was chained so I couldn't move it. Previously I was able to move the black bags. Progress!

Here are my latest photos of the mural and of Brick Lane.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Return to Regional Meetings