Discworld

Meeting of a North American Chapter

Local meetings of the Flatalist Society branches.

Re: Meeting of a North American Chapter

Postby phalarope » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:19 am

I forgot in the hilrity of the moment ( it was at dinner) :oops: but I'll try to make him show it in public for a photo op today
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Molokov » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:42 am

13406825_10102546176979699_3957607085338349304_n.jpg

This is what Pat uploaded to his Facebook timeline.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nullus Anxietas VI - The Discworld Grand Tour - The Australian Discworld Convention
4th-6th August 2017
The Lakes Resort Hotel, West Lakes, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
https://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby phalarope » Sun Jun 12, 2016 01:33 am

That's it - one Trojan Duck :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Sun Jun 12, 2016 01:47 pm

I wonder if there are any Feegle's hiding in the box. :mrgreen:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby phalarope » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:46 am

Wow - what an incredible weekend! :D Thanks to everyone who made it happen. Paul for the instigation on the road trip after Sasquan and quizmaster extraordinaire; Steve for arranging the venue, the mugs, and the Thauthage Thupper (shout out to Hog's Galore), and general organizing of everything Pennsylvanian; Pat for stories and games; Fred for games; Susanne for arranging impromptu munchies; Laura for good sportsmanship, dramatic reading, and having a good time as a Discworld gathering virgin; Lizzy, William, Johnathan, and Lizzy's mum for putting up with it all through William's high school graduation (CONGRATULATIONS WILLIAM!!!); Nonny for Herculean effort and being there; Richard and Amy for swag, delicious rumor (when shall we several meet again??) and rum; Cherie and Patty for ribbons; Gary for excellent conversation; Jan for letting us have Pat and bringing chocolate;* and most especially Stephen and Rob for the video welcome and Rob for the surprise gift of 2 Memorial Folios for raffle prizes. :shock: :shock: We raised $180 for RICE in Terry's honor. :D

Most of us have gone back to Roundworld lives by now, although I'm still in the hotel at 0630, facing a 4-hour drive home. I don't wanna wanna wanna leave!

Pictures will be forthcoming.

*note the use of the Oxford semicolon.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phazedout » Mon Jun 13, 2016 07:11 pm

poor pictures, always coming forth, never in the Medals
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby chrisboote » Tue Jun 14, 2016 09:03 pm

I'm so sorry I couldn't be there, but I hope you had a lovely time
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby phalarope » Wed Jun 15, 2016 03:24 am

There is a consolation prize in the Harkin luggage for you, Chris. You were missed, but not forgotten. :wink:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jun 16, 2016 07:15 pm

I got back late afternoon on Monday and miss every single one of you! What a fantastic weekend. I have to echo all the thanks Carol gave above. It was a gathering that exceeded all expectations! :D
Catch-up

Postby phalarope » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:
chrisboote wrote:I want to hear stories!!!

We played Cthulhu Fluxx and my Evil Powers (tm) were unleashed!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

However, when we played Exploding Kittens I died first the first several times I played so I was known as the redshirt. :(
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phalarope » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:58 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:
chrisboote wrote:I want to hear stories!!!

We played Cthulhu Fluxx and my Evil Powers (tm) were unleashed!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

They were!!! Tentacles came out of her mouth and everything! :P :P

I volunteered to take a quiz forfeit for Laura, a newbie, and Hansolobiker gave me a Discworld parody of Chattenooga Choo-choo to sing. I decided that it would be more painful for my audience than me, so fired off in full voice. :lol: Thank Om no one thought to take video.
Chattenooga Choo-chooCopy.jpg

I had revenge later when I required him to recite the Gettysburg Address (the speech, not the location).
IMG_2685Copy.jpg

There was a Ceremonial Watching of the Wilkins With Cameo by Briggs.

Excellent comestibles were comested including a Thupper Conthithting of Thauthages provided by Cafe Offler,
IMG_2663Copy.jpg

and imbulation occurred, including a dark 'n stormy by yours truly, of which I believe there is no photodocumentation, so I have plausible deniability going forwards. :wink:

There was also A LOT of ice cream...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phalarope » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:20 pm

Speaking of ice cream, Penn State has its own creamery on campus. Lots of flavors (flavours), but you can get only one at a time. That's right folks, no double with a scoop of choc and a scoop of strawberry. :shock: And no explanation. Several flavors were a bit of a mystery. What is Alumni Swirl, you may ask. I think its the remains of alumni fed through a woodchipper and blended with vanilla ice cream, but that's just me. :P Several of us got shakes. Pat was somewhat perturbed by the warning label on the lid of his cup.
Hot Milkshake Cup.jpg
Paul asked for a cone for his single dip strawberry. He and Susanne practice their levitation skills on the inverted cone as astonished patrons look on in the background!
IMG_2647Copy.jpg

And our final group gathering on Sunday afternoon for a sweet treat before parting.
IMG_2683Copy.jpg
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phalarope » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:37 pm

Some people had never heard the story of the Trojan Duck, so at dinner Friday night Pat told it again, for perhaps the umpteenth and twelfth time (it never grows old, though; it only grows....). At the conclusion, I presented Pat with a Trojan Duck American-style, to demonstrate just exactly where the TSA mind goes when confronted with the concept of "Trojan". A best-seller in the USA, Trojans are proud of their new role in the prevention of unwanted ducklings. Persons of a nervous or sensitive disposition may wish to avoid viewing the image...
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click here to reveal all. Come on; you know you want to...
Trojan Duck 2016 NWDWW.jpg
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phalarope » Sun Jun 19, 2016 06:09 pm

C'mon y'all. Other people besides me must have stories. I could tell you about the long trip back to the hotel with Pat with many many many u-turns, but I'll spare you. (Sings: To everything, turn, turn, turn. There is a season, turn, turn, turn. Toftrees must be around here someplace. etc. etc.)
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Pat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 01:26 pm

OK, total SNAFU on my part - if you won a memorial book in the auction please let me have your address again so that Things May Be Posted.

Pat
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Previous

Return to Regional Meetings