Discworld

The totally unofficial 2017 Stamp Yearbook

General Stamp discussion.

The totally unofficial 2017 Stamp Yearbook

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Jan 12, 2018 09:23 am

For those interested in a read or who are interested in making a book, my usual Yearbook is at the final proof stage (word document). If you do notice any errors I would appreciate a heads up- this version is done bar a few minor tweaks of layout and fixing those errors. This year's edition includes some information about the origin of SWALK, the art behind the Cohen stamp and Big Attractions.
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2010 and 2018 Yearbooks- 2017 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Re: The totally unofficial 2017 Stamp Yearbook

Postby Squigglyx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:59 pm

Brilliant album (as always) Kel.
Love it all and I checked out the wiki page for SWALK and it even includes a mention of our beloved flataly stamps (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War ... l_acronyms)
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Squigglyx

Postby phalarope » Sat Jan 13, 2018 02:33 am

Another superior Kelshandra Production! :thumbl: :thumbl:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 02:34 pm

Squigglyx wrote:Brilliant album (as always) Kel.
Love it all and I checked out the wiki page for SWALK and it even includes a mention of our beloved flataly stamps (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War ... l_acronyms)
:thumbl: I didn't know that - glad to see our influence is spreading . . . mhwahahahahaha!!! :twisted:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Muba » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 am

Another great piece of work and congrats on getting it done so promptly.

Perhaps you should make a mention that the Halfpenny AMPO definitive sport reflects the building as originally drawn for the stamp.
Back in the days when the designs were essentially rough trials the AMPO building only had fewer upper floors and was drawnthat way. But TP was still writing Going Postal' when he came to Moist's freaky nights soon after he started there the narrative demanded the building have an extra flooer, so the stamp design had to change.

A couple of the P&O ferries that run between Dover and Calais have names Pride of Canterbury and Pride of Kent. Somewhere I have a photo onboard where a piece of rope obscures an E on a lifebelt providing PRID OF CANTERBURY. Could something like this have inspired TP

Regarding the accidental release of lower resolution trial prints of the Thieves Guild stamp the expression 'accidental sport' is inappropriate. A sport is a deliberate design difference includes by the designer. There have been accidental sports where more than one sport has been trialled on a printed sheet for one to be selected. Then a rejected sport has not been removed when the stamp has 'gone to press'. A recent example could be the Halfpenny AMPO where a missing line in the brickwork was discovered to be still there after release. These Thieves stamps are best described as released in error.

Big Cabbage's Brassica World not the only vegetable themed themepark. Ireland hosts Tayto Park, dedicated to potatoes.

The 'P's in "Magrat and Verence 4P stamps and the 6P " should be in lower case to match the use of "p" elsewhere.

The early design of the $1 Clacks Mail stamp is not missing its price.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Kelshandra » Tue Jan 16, 2018 09:32 pm

Muba wrote:Another great piece of work and congrats on getting it done so promptly.

Perhaps you should make a mention that the Halfpenny AMPO definitive sport reflects the building as originally drawn for the stamp.
Back in the days when the designs were essentially rough trials the AMPO building only had fewer upper floors and was drawnthat way. But TP was still writing Going Postal' when he came to Moist's freaky nights soon after he started there the narrative demanded the building have an extra flooer, so the stamp design had to change.

Hmm, interesting. If I knew that I had forgotten it. I've just had a fun hour or so perusing all the fantastic stuff about the Post Office on your page (for everyone else, go check out Muba's page- it's worth it for the cool images he got from the British Library on early stamp designs!). I've written a whole new bit just from the information on your page and thank you!

What I found interesting is that the sport is still not quite the same as the original as it still has an extra floor compared to the first stamp designs. Maybe the powers that be could use that first design for a stamp from another post office somewhere. I could totally see another city copying the Post Office but making it smaller because of budgets. Goodness knows that copying major landmarks elsewhere is totally a thing (cough, Vegas, China...)
Muba wrote:A couple of the P&O ferries that run between Dover and Calais have names Pride of Canterbury and Pride of Kent. Somewhere I have a photo onboard where a piece of rope obscures an E on a lifebelt providing PRID OF CANTERBURY. Could something like this have inspired TP

Regarding the accidental release of lower resolution trial prints of the Thieves Guild stamp the expression 'accidental sport' is inappropriate. A sport is a deliberate design difference includes by the designer. There have been accidental sports where more than one sport has been trialled on a printed sheet for one to be selected. Then a rejected sport has not been removed when the stamp has 'gone to press'. A recent example could be the Halfpenny AMPO where a missing line in the brickwork was discovered to be still there after release. These Thieves stamps are best described as released in error.

Good point. I've adjusted my wording to say that an accidental second version exists for the thieves.
I'm going to leave the ship thing as is, I don't think I've got enough inspiration to spin out something on boat names. Although I am proud to be part of a country that has called a new ferry Ferry McFerryface 8)
Muba wrote:Big Cabbage's Brassica World not the only vegetable themed themepark. Ireland hosts Tayto Park, dedicated to potatoes.

I don't think I said that Brassica World was the only vegetable themed park but of course Ireland has a potato theme park :lol: (Dad's Irish so I'm used to a meal not being a meal unless there is a potato product on the table). I've added it in.
Muba wrote:The 'P's in "Magrat and Verence 4P stamps and the 6P " should be in lower case to match the use of "p" elsewhere.

The early design of the $1 Clacks Mail stamp is not missing its price.

Cheers, I've corrected those.

Thank you to those who have given me feedback- I've fixed the typos that have been gently pointed out to me
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby phazedout » Tue Jan 16, 2018 09:46 pm

Oh it's more specific than a potatoe theme park, it's tayto park, which are crisps (chips for our transatlantic cousins).
for the morbidly curious see the linky below
http://www.taytopark.ie
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Muba » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:21 pm

I am proud to be part of a country that has called a new ferry Ferry McFerryface 8)

I don't know if this beats that, but the Newbridge Arms just south of Wrexham in North Wales is now Pubby McPubface!
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Kelshandra » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:40 pm

phazedout wrote:Oh it's more specific than a potatoe theme park, it's tayto park, which are crisps (chips for our transatlantic cousins).
for the morbidly curious see the linky below
http://www.taytopark.ie

I stand corrected and shall make a suitable footnote in the work. :roll:
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Return to The Stamps