Discworld

Favourite stamp stories

General Stamp discussion.

Favourite stamp stories

Postby Kelshandra » Mon Apr 08, 2019 02:30 am

Some silly bugger (me) volunteered to talk about stamps at the Aus DW Con. And while I thought that there were others talking as well, it looks like it is just going to be me. Meep. So help me do my homework. I'm putting together something about stamps and want some of the best stories over the 15 years we've been at this lark. Tell me about your favourite stamp, sport, Bernard moment, error, whatever!

I will have a screen so I can show stamps and I've covered the initial story but there is a lot of stuff to cover and my memory is a little rusty on some things. Bonus if it's a cool story as me just doing a slideshow of stamp after stamp might get a little old. Also, someone should sit down the key characters and get an official history of stamps book going, as I think it would be interesting to have that all in one place.
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2010 and 2018 Yearbooks- 2017 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Re: Favourite stamp stories

Postby Reb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 09:18 am

Here's our most recent tale from the top - courtesy of a customer who first contacted us to report an order lost in the post. Their parcel was later located in rather unusual circumstances...

The order in question was for Assassins' Guild Merchandise; scarf, socks, T-Shirt, Diploma... the lot. As we are inclined to do, we lovingly decorated the package with Discworld Stamps in keeping with the theme of the contents, Assassins' Guild Stamps and frank providing what we hoped would be suitable embellishment.

Unfortunately, the package was erroneously delivered to a lady of the same name a few doors away. Upon inspecting the stamps and 'Have A Nice Die' slogan emblazoned on the frank, the mistaken recipient believed postman's blunder to be a potentially 'fatal' error - fearing a genuine assassination attempt, she reported the package to the authorities as an explosive device.

Thankfully the police united the parcel with its rightful owner without it being exploded by bomb squad.
Discworld Emporium
Reb

Postby Kelshandra » Wed Apr 10, 2019 09:53 am

[Tries to keep a straight face]

Bwah hah hah hah!

I'm totally going to have to share that one. Perhaps when I talk about the joy of getting a parcel from you lot with random embelishments. As it is I'm going to be giving out LBE after to share (well LBE that I refilled with commons cos I am generous but not that generous- if people want sports they can go and try their luck buying LBE the way we all do).
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2010 and 2018 Yearbooks- 2017 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Oook!

Hope this helps* -

Discworld stamps are the reason I got an international credit card. My first real "Day Job" was in 2009, when I first discovered Discworld stamps were to be gotten in Roundworld, and up until then I wanted a basic credit card to keep my life simple. But having seen the subject matter & amazing artwork, and knowing that each had a limited shelf-life thanks to the endangered section (back when the sections of the Emporium site looked filing cabinet drawers, I think...)
I had to put away a major chunk of my salary for 3 months, because I could only get the int'l credit card if I had a certain amount in a savings account, but the first time I got that brown envelope, with its Little Brown Envelopes inside, along with the funny receipt (I think it was the one with the nurse) and the little extra goodies (Claircarft or DW Toy cards) I felt a real, solid connection to the Disc.
The humor I love so much from the books comes to life in the little things, like the IO sport looking in all directions or the stories in the Wonder of the World Minisheets. And then there's being able to SEE places like the Guild-halls or Lancre castle. Having that little extra bit of a connection, right there in your hand.

* I wrote this while constantly looking over my shoulder, since technically I'm supposed to be day-jobbing now
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Librarians Apprentice

Return to The Stamps