Discworld

What would you like to see on stamps?

General Stamp discussion.

What would you like to see on stamps?

Postby Shlimazel » Mon Feb 10, 2020 08:54 pm

I recently got to thinking about what I would like to see on upcoming stamps this year. Several ideas came to mind but two stood out as things I felt a need for.

-Pseudopolis stamps

I am surprised that we haven't had any stamps from Pseudopolis, other than the clacks stamp, given that it is the second city that Moist sends post to. Any idea why this is? Maybe its a lack of lore on the city or maybe its just the spelling. :wink:

-The Dysk theatre

We had a Dysk theatre stamp in 2008 but I think we can do better. Maybe a set of 3 the Dysk, Tomjon and Hwel the playwright. Possibly in association with the actors guild.

What about the everyone else. What would you like to see put on stamps this year?
Shlimazel

Re: What would you like to see on stamps?

Postby dried_frog » Mon Feb 17, 2020 08:07 pm

What a good idea ! :D
Maybe not for this year (planning is certainly already done), but I would love to see these themes one day:

- the Vetinari lookalike in "Raising Steam": Charlie (a challenge for a "fake" penny Patrician?) :mrgreen:
- Adora Belle Dearheart (yes, I admit, I'm in love with Claire Foy)
- Granny Weatherwax (who exchanged letters with Mustrum Ridcully when she was younger)
- local folklore song (The Hedgehog) :clown:
- Lu Tze, Jeremy Clockson, The Auditors
- A tribute to the previous Patricians (Nersch the Lunatic, Homicidal Lord Winder, Mad Lord Snapcase...)
- The Elves
"It's still magic even if you know how it's done."
dried_frog

Postby CanadianGadfly » Wed Feb 26, 2020 05:33 pm

I like all the stamp ideas from the above posters. Except for 'Jeremy Clockson'. I find that concept very scary for some reason?

One set of stamps that haven't been around for some years now, and mentioned in 'Going Postal', are issues for Sto Lat. There were a couple of styles, with colour variations, that came out on a semi-regular basis in the early years - but nothing since. I do miss Queen Keli. :oops:
CanadianGadfly

Postby Shlimazel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 01:48 pm

Some good ideas here thanks for shearing. I particularly like the idea of former patricians I would love a Mad lord Snapcase stamp for some reason.

I agree it has been too long since we had a Sto Lat stamp, but how about a Sto Kerrig stamp, as a protectorate of Sto Lat it can still have Queen Keli and be something totally new at the same time.
Shlimazel

Postby Dilvish » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:01 pm

It would seem the perfect time for a quintet of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse :-)
Dilvish

Postby the_apprentice » Mon Mar 16, 2020 03:58 pm

Dilvish wrote:It would seem the perfect time for a quintet of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse :-)

Hah!

Thank you all for the input. We've already planned an awful lot of issue for this year, but it's always nice to hear what people want to see. There has to be a certain logic, which restrains us a tiny bit. For example, the Royal Mail might feature a Duke who set up the modern policing system, as The A-M.P.O. might honour Vimes, but neither are likely to feature a specific bobby on the beat, hence it's unlikely we'll winkle Nobby onto a stamp. We can bend the rules a teeny bit now and then, but we do our best to be semi-consistent (don't laugh! We do!).

A couple of the suggestions above should be happy in the course of this year (all things being equal), and who knows what the future may hold!

In the meantime, we'll have a new issue up in the not too dim and distant, with a decidedly dwarfish bent...
the_apprentice

Postby Murgatroyd » Tue Mar 17, 2020 06:22 pm

Given how aware that the Patrician was of the stature of Granny Weatherwax and her importance in the local politics of the ramtop region a memorial stamp dedicated to her would not be inappropriate. Perhaps as a halloween issue?
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Mrs.Popty » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:53 pm

Cats. More cats. Lots of cats. Death holding cats. Cats with Nanny Ogg. Just cats really.

Mrs. Popty
Magrat, make the tea!
Occupation: Nosy parker, gossiper, leaner on garden walls, witch.
Interests: salacious gossip.
Mrs.Popty

Postby Kelshandra » Sun Apr 05, 2020 08:07 pm

Mrs.Popty wrote:Cats. More cats. Lots of cats. Death holding cats. Cats with Nanny Ogg. Just cats really.

Mrs. Popty

Oooh *Eyes grow large at thought* Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes

My darling could make cat perforated sports if you like*. Cats of Discworld would be a great one and one that I think the post office would embrace as much as the roundworld ones do to make money from the collectors

*actually he's just going to shred any paper I let him have** so they wouldn't be stamps any more, only soggy confetti but anyway...

**and paper that I don't let him have
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Return to The Stamps