Discworld

I opened my LBEs, and in them I got...

General Stamp discussion.

Re: I opened my LBEs, and in them I got...

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Apr 28, 2016 04:19 pm

cascade wrote:Fully agree with you Kelshandra. Looks like its not just a problem here in Tassie then.
My April Fools LBEs arrived on the 21st. Oz Post's "mail service, what mail service, we don't do that anymore" new improved mail delivery service leaves a lot to be desired.
Similarly to you it took about a week longer for them to arrive.
Al least I found a La Sorbumme sport and a Llamedos trilithon sport in amongst everything.
My sympathies to you and Kel on having to suffer the vagaries of the postal systems to which you are held hostage out there in For'n parts!

But congratulations on having a Sorbumme! :wink: :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Murgatroyd » Fri Apr 29, 2016 03:50 pm

Out of 7a LBE's I got all of the new Cruel & Unusual Geography stamps, and a sport of the Wormburg,
I also got a Vetinari 4P Un-embossed sport, An Uberwald League of Temperance sport, a 50P Cabbage field letter sport, and a Clacks message from Rasher where the 3P Clacks Delivery stamp is clean of the frank, which was several millimeters away from the perforations!
Happy Happy Joy Joy! :D
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:37 am

cascade wrote:Fully agree with you Kelshandra. Looks like its not just a problem here in Tassie then.
My April Fools LBEs arrived on the 21st. Oz Post's "mail service, what mail service, we don't do that anymore" new improved mail delivery service leaves a lot to be desired.
Similarly to you it took about a week longer for them to arrive.
Al least I found a La Sorbumme sport and a Llamedos trilithon sport in amongst everything.

Well hello! I didn't realise I had a fellow countryman here on the forum (well close, anyway. You are in Tassie ... :wink: ) But no, I'm in Vic, so the delays are not thanks to having to head over Bass Strait in a canoe (or whatever method Aus post have now moved to)
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2009 and 2016 Yearbooks- 2015 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Squigglyx » Wed May 04, 2016 07:09 pm

From 7 Cruel and Unusual Geography LBE, just 3 of the new stamps :( and no sports :(.
But I did get a Patricians Palace Triangle :)

Just Giving Link
Liverpool to Leeds Canal
Ride in aid of Cancer Research
Squigglyx

Postby steeljam » Wed May 04, 2016 07:44 pm

Squigglyx wrote:From 7 Cruel and Unusual Geography LBE, just 3 of the new stamps :( and no sports :(.
You should have got at least one of the new stamps per LBE (i.e. 7)
In my 9 LBEs I got 9 C&EG stamps plus 3 sports.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Squigglyx » Wed May 04, 2016 07:58 pm

steeljam wrote:
Squigglyx wrote:From 7 Cruel and Unusual Geography LBE, just 3 of the new stamps :( and no sports :(.
You should have got at least one of the new stamps per LBE (i.e. 7)
In my 9 LBEs I got 9 C&EG stamps plus 3 sports.

I did, but only 3 different ones, I didn't get the Fat Geysers. One LBe even had 2 Leshp stamps in there, I spent ages trying to spot the sport, before I gave up and looked in your catalogue, they were both commons.
Total from the 7 LBEs was 4 Leshp, 3 Wyrmberg and 2 Cori Celeste.

Just Giving Link
Liverpool to Leeds Canal
Ride in aid of Cancer Research
Squigglyx

Postby Kelshandra » Sun May 15, 2016 10:19 am

Righto. Just got my Cruel and Unusual Geography LBE (5 as per my usual order). Not a bad haul- I got a 1p Patrician sport, 5P sport, a UU farthing and a(nother) temperance sport. Oh, and words on my note about my trivia put on my order form:

As pasted from my order comment...
The second Longest geographical name that is accepted in the world is “Taumatawhakatangihangak oauauotamateaturipukaka pikimaungahoronukupokaiwhe nua kitanatahu” (85 letters) which is a hill in New Zealand – it is a maori phrase which translates to “place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as land-eater, played his flute to his loved one”. I like this one A) I enjoy picturing Reb [note confirmed that it was Reb :twisted: ] or whoever the lucky person reading this out-loud is and B) The translation is nice and poetic and C) I picture a second series of stamps where this one has to be as long as a Tower of Art (or longer) in order to fit the name on.
The shortest place name is Å and is a river in Norway and Sweden (and Å means river).
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby steeljam » Sun May 15, 2016 11:14 am

Kelshandra wrote:Righto. Just got my Cruel and Unusual Geography LBE (5 as per my usual order). Not a bad haul- I got a 1p Patrician sport, 5P sport, a UU farthing and a(nother) temperance sport. Oh, and words on my note about my trivia put on my order form:
Good haul

Kelshandra wrote:The second Longest geographical name that is accepted in the world is “Taumatawhakatangihangak oauauotamateaturipukaka pikimaungahoronukupokaiwhe nua kitanatahu” (85 letters) which is a hill in New Zealand – it is a maori phrase which translates to “place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as land-eater, played his flute to his loved one”.

I have always been amused by these long names. They are not names but stories.
I am changing my address to
"TakethePiccadillyLinetoSouthgateleavebytheleftexit acrosstheroadcatchthebustoFinchleyCentralgettingoffatHampdenSquare crossthepedestriancrossingwalksouthdownOsidgeLaneturnrightintoEastWalk rightintoUplandswhichleadsintoFerneyRoad halfwaydowninthedipontheright."
Do you think this will get me in the Guinness Book of World Records? :D
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Sun May 15, 2016 11:50 am

Now that GPS is practically ubiquitous, I think we should all convert addresses to lat-longs, with unit numbers for apartment blocks and similar. It will certainly make it easier for Amazon's drone delivery system. :P Welcome to 38 45.525N, 76 13.093W.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Kelshandra » Sun May 15, 2016 07:54 pm

phalarope wrote:Now that GPS is practically ubiquitous, I think we should all convert addresses to lat-longs, with unit numbers for apartment blocks and similar. It will certainly make it easier for Amazon's drone delivery system. :P Welcome to 38 45.525N, 76 13.093W.

Not necessarily. I've been into geocahing this year and based on my experiences, the coordinates are NOT always going to be the answer (aside from anything else you would really need an altitude for multiple level buildings
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby steeljam » Sun May 15, 2016 11:50 pm

Kelshandra wrote:
phalarope wrote:Now that GPS is practically ubiquitous, I think we should all convert addresses to lat-longs, with unit numbers for apartment blocks and similar. It will certainly make it easier for Amazon's drone delivery system. :P Welcome to 38 45.525N, 76 13.093W.

Not necessarily. I've been into geocahing this year and based on my experiences, the coordinates are NOT always going to be the answer (aside from anything else you would really need an altitude for multiple level buildings

Very true. In the UK there is great competition for school places that location is very important. Where you live is important. People are cheating by temporarily renting houses to be in a catchment area or pretending that they live in their parent's house.
We are selling our house; many of those we saw were interested because we were within the catchment area of certain schools. It can add thousands to the price.
It can be so competitive that the floor of a block of flats a child lives on could be included in the distance. As a governor, it was discussed but thankfully never needed.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon May 16, 2016 09:22 am

steeljam wrote:I have always been amused by these long names. They are not names but stories.
I am changing my address to
"TakethePiccadillyLinetoSouthgateleavebytheleftexit acrosstheroadcatchthebustoFinchleyCentralgettingoffatHampdenSquare crossthepedestriancrossingwalksouthdownOsidgeLaneturnrightintoEastWalk rightintoUplandswhichleadsintoFerneyRoad halfwaydowninthedipontheright."
Do you think this will get me in the Guinness Book of World Records? :D
:lol: Possibly, but by the time you finish filling out the change-of-address form at the post office, it'll be time for you to move house . . . and I'm not sure how the people buying your house will feel about it :wink:
Grace Speaker

Postby Pip » Tue May 17, 2016 08:17 pm

Ok out of my LBEs I got all four new common cruel and unusual geography stamps. I got three of the sports Cori Celesti, Eberwald fat geyser and two Wyrmbergs. But no Leshp sports! Does anyone want to swap a Wyrmberg for a Leshp Sport???
I also got a few other sports that I needed and a few ones I already have!
All in all a great haul :D
Pip

Postby Pip » Sat May 28, 2016 08:28 pm

So from the latest 25th may lbe I bought 10 and got 7of the lilac watch house sport! And a sport in the other 3 as well so 10 out of 10! Amazing haul. Although I didn't get a cutash sport if anyone wants to swap a lilac watch house sport. Did anyone else get as many watch house sports?
Pip

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun May 29, 2016 08:59 am

Pip wrote:So from the latest 25th may lbe I bought 10 and got 7of the lilac watch house sport! And a sport in the other 3 as well so 10 out of 10! Amazing haul. Although I didn't get a cutash sport if anyone wants to swap a lilac watch house sport. Did anyone else get as many watch house sports?
OOoooooo I am very jealous! That's a bloody good haul! :thumbl: I only got the one lilac watch house sport, but am still happy I got one.

Does anyone have spares of the normal with selvedge? Specifically, I'm after the top right corner, bottom right corner, left middle, top middle and bottom middle. I have spares of the right middle for swapses.
Grace Speaker

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps