Discworld

Organizing your collection

General Stamp discussion.

Re: Organizing your collection

Postby SavMousehammer » Fri Feb 19, 2010 03:09 pm

Murgatroyd- Five albums??. I saw the look on my wifes face when our single album arrived in the post today, we'll never get another four past her! :)

As for the guilds, I think I'll go alphabetically, as long as I keep it a secret no-one should come knocking at my door....
Of course I can keep a secret, it's the people that I tell that let me down so bad.
SavMousehammer

Postby Murgatroyd » Fri Feb 19, 2010 03:30 pm

It only runs to five albums because I use one page for each variety of stamp. It's the plastic pockets and the sheets of card that bulk them out... not my stamps... it's just a matter of presentation.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby SavMousehammer » Fri Feb 19, 2010 03:47 pm

I agree about presentaion, I hate to see stamps squished together, much rather see them spread out on a page.
Hopefully the stockbook and stock-album will last for a while- heck I've got two already, I'm nearly half way there! :D
Of course I can keep a secret, it's the people that I tell that let me down so bad.
SavMousehammer

Postby Darren » Fri Feb 19, 2010 06:03 pm

Somehow I think if you consider 5 albums to be large amount, then some of we "more seasoned" collectors should keep quiet ;)
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby jonty » Fri Feb 19, 2010 07:21 pm

Darren wrote:Somehow I think if you consider 5 albums to be large amount, then some of we "more seasoned" collectors should keep quiet ;)

I agree, as thats not counting the FDC albums, the postcard albums, the box files and the ring binder files and the filing cabinet to keep them all in. :?
.Life is a sexually transmitted disease and there is a 100% mortality rate. ~R.D. Laing
jonty

Postby Muba » Fri Feb 19, 2010 07:37 pm

I'm finding the easiest way of organising my collection is to keep one area of my desk (or two) clear and after I've opened the mail and admired the stamps, start a little pile of them. This way they are easily accessible for future reference and roughly in chronological order. A lot cheaper than stock books and albums and mounts

:wink:
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby phalarope » Fri Feb 19, 2010 07:54 pm

Muba wrote:...to keep one area of my desk (or two) clear ... start a little pile of them.

Desk clear?????????? :shock: *hysterical shrill laughter* :P :P Not in MY stamp room.............. :oops: Little piles........ what little piles? Oh, you mean the ones covered by the avalanche....... :lol: :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Muba » Fri Feb 19, 2010 08:27 pm

phalarope wrote:
Muba wrote:...to keep one area of my desk (or two) clear ... start a little pile of them.

Desk clear?????????? :shock: *hysterical shrill laughter* :P :P Not in MY stamp room.............. :oops: Little piles........ what little piles? Oh, you mean the ones covered by the avalanche....... :lol: :lol:

Yeah, it starts off my way and soon develops into yours

But they are still to hand and roughly in order - except its like playing Buckaroo to get one out of the pile(s)
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Feb 19, 2010 09:31 pm

I have a tin... well OK. Lots of tins. Um, that's probably part of the reason why I stopped collecting (not that I would be adverse to filling in old gapes- once I know what they are :roll: ) If I didn't stop the mountain of tins would bury me :wink:
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2009 and 2016 Yearbooks- 2015 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby SavMousehammer » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:59 pm

:shock: GULP :shock:

I'm beginning to think there are a lot more stamps out there than I realised! :oops:
Oh well, it'll keep us occupied after school...and weekends...and holidays...
and me occupied in the mornings...and afternoons...and the evenings...and night shifts... :D
SavMousehammer

Postby Muba » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:27 am

SavMousehammer wrote::shock: GULP :shock:

I'm beginning to think there are a lot more stamps out there than I realised! :oops:
Oh well, it'll keep us occupied after school...and weekends...and holidays...
and me occupied in the mornings...and afternoons...and the evenings...and night shifts... :D

You will need help from the History Monks and their procastrinators
Muba

Postby phalarope » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:49 am

Kelshandra wrote:I have a tin...

Tins. Plastic 3-drawer organizers for covers. Craft organizer boxes. Empty slide boxes scarfed from work. In/out trays. Shoe boxes. Those mail organizer things. A Showgard 'At-Home' system for the mounts. Etc. Did I mention Etc.? But then I collect more than Discworld. help :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Mon Aug 16, 2010 09:09 pm

Oook!

I just got my parents to buy me a third album (stock book?) for my birthday. :thumbl: Aside from the albums my main organizing system involves a heavy-duty shopping bag and a bunch of Discworld Emporium envelopes. :lol:

Now I just need another book that I can fit FDC and other envelopes into - all my latest covers and LBEs are sitting around, and I have this feeling that if I leave them there too long a Nac Mac Feegle will come along and take some (don't scoff - it happened to two sheets of Hogfather stamps I'd bought last year). :cry:

Does anyone know a good source for that sort of album, preferably one that ships internationally?

All I can find in my area is A4 sized, which we all know is rather shy of ideal, if you want to keep more than one envelope or two LBEs per page. :book:
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Skaven » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:27 pm

I've got one of those heavy duty shopping bags full of Emporium envelopes too :lol:
Thats were the proof sheets are residing until I get round to having them framed.

I have a ring binder for trades, a FDC album, a small stock book for sport & corner trades and a large stock book for display.

It starts off with AM stamps by value then guilds, then regional and Postage dues. Last of all is the non DW stamps, convention stickers and labels.
New trades
Still got those pesky gaps to fill? See if I have what your looking for in My Stamp Trades
Missing that certain edge? Why not see if I can help you obtain it with My Corner Trades
Skaven

Postby Catch-up » Tue Aug 17, 2010 06:47 pm

I've been using 12 x 12 scrapbooks as albums. It was the only thing I could find that would easily fit the sheets. I'm up to 3 albums now. But, they're not all full. The nice thing about them is that it's easy to add pages, move pages around, and leave space for things I'm still trying to get.
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps