Discworld

Stamp Catalogue

General Stamp discussion.

Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:54 am

I think I am nearly there. With the help of some members of forum I have created a new version of the Stamp Catalogue.
The Home and Stamp pages need some updating but I hope the Stamp pages will prove useful.

The Catalogue can be found here.
Click on Stamp (Years) then the year you are interested in.

Let me know what you think. Tell me if there are any errors and missing entries. (I do know of a couple already.)
I hope I will get time to install a search facility and catalogues for the Sheets, Envelopes and LBEs.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Skaven » Fri Jun 11, 2010 03:35 am

I think your online catalogue is brilliant and an invaluable source of information, especially for us new flatalists.
I've used it to make an inventry of my own collection and I now know which of the older stamps I'm missing. It makes identifying sports much easier too :D
New trades
Still got those pesky gaps to fill? See if I have what your looking for in My Stamp Trades
Missing that certain edge? Why not see if I can help you obtain it with My Corner Trades
Skaven

Postby steeljam » Fri Jun 11, 2010 08:24 am

Skaven wrote:I think your online catalogue is brilliant and an invaluable source of information, especially for us new flatalists.
I've used it to make an inventry of my own collection and I now know which of the older stamps I'm missing. It makes identifying sports much easier too :D

I will be adding a pdf version of the catalogue soon plus a routine to create stamp album pages.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby bumamgar » Fri Jun 11, 2010 01:48 pm

This catalogue is great and very simple to use thanks a lot for the time i'll spare with it!!!!

:D :D :D
Bum
A little dumb, but if you explain a lot I may understand...... maybe.
bumamgar

Postby the_apprentice » Fri Jun 11, 2010 03:11 pm

Outstanding work that man!
the_apprentice

Postby Squigglyx » Fri Jun 11, 2010 09:08 pm

Wow ! Brilliant, added to my favourites :D , nice work that man, deserves a medal he does :D
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Just Giving Link
Liverpool to Leeds Canal
Ride in aid of Cancer Research
Squigglyx

Postby steeljam » Sat Jun 12, 2010 01:05 pm

Updated with the details of the new issues
$1 Hippo Commemmorative
$1 Clacks Post Paid Pseudopolis Lilac

Report:
Stamp List
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Frank the Younger » Sat Jun 12, 2010 08:06 pm

I hate to be a party pooper (and Steve already knows my opinion) but what is the point of 3 pictures showing the same stamp where only the perfs change and the pictures do NOT show the perfs. This only effects the first year.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Muba » Sat Jun 12, 2010 08:08 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:I hate to be a party pooper (and Steve already knows my opinion) but what is the point of 3 pictures showing the same stamp where only the perfs change and the pictures do NOT show the perfs. This only effects the first year.

There are image resolution differences to see, especially when you click on the images and get the larger image.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby steeljam » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:55 am

Frank the Younger wrote:I hate to be a party pooper (and Steve already knows my opinion) but what is the point of 3 pictures showing the same stamp where only the perfs change and the pictures do NOT show the perfs. This only effects the first year.
I set the parameters of the application to generate the web pages (MS Access VBA) at the moment but php with MySQL later) and they require an image for each stamp designation. I was tempted to ignore perforations as these only apply to a small number of stamps. But I felt I should adhere to Martin's original design as much as possible.
As far as perforations go they are irrelevant as far as the images go. They are irregular, misaligned and don't match the stamp sizes. I ended up with wide commons and thin sports which looked odd. Finally I realised that as the images, thumbnail and detailed did not match the actual image, the perforations were not relevant. In my view the stamp is the same stamp regardless of which perforating machine is used.
I accept there are minor issues, everything is a compromise, but they are outweighed by the major benefits. When a new stamp appears I can generate the relevant page in about 90 minutes after receiving the stamp from 41.
Scan, find sport, create images, write description, create difference image, update database, press button, generate web page, upload images and new page.
I think this is an improvement on the spreadsheet that was issued two or three times a year.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Frank the Younger » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:01 am

Muba wrote:

There are image resolution differences to see, especially when you click on the images and get the larger image.

Nothing to do with the perfs though.
Frank the Younger

Postby Frank the Younger » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:11 am

steeljam wrote: I was tempted to ignore perforations as these only apply to a small number of stamps.
As far as perforations go they are irrelevant as far as the images go. They are irregular, misaligned and don't match the stamp sizes.
Finally I realised that as the images, thumbnail and detailed did not match the actual image, the perforations were not relevant. In my view the stamp is the same stamp regardless of which perforating machine is used.

Three times you say the perfs are not relevant but if that is so why are the stamps with different perfs listed separately, why do we keep copies and why do different perfs have different prices on Ebay? You know as well as me that we would consider a collection incomplete if you did not have examples of the perfs.

Even if you are correct why have three pictures? Why not just one and list the possible perfs as differences.

My main point is it looks stupid to put three pictures all the same against a list which says there are differences.

PS I really like the site this is just me being pedantic. :)
Frank the Younger

Postby Just in » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:32 am

Love the catalogue and i was wondering if you were going to put thestamps that come on the envelopes on the cinderella section.
Just in

Postby steeljam » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:33 am

Frank the Younger wrote:
steeljam wrote: I was tempted to ignore perforations as these only apply to a small number of stamps.
As far as perforations go they are irrelevant as far as the images go. They are irregular, misaligned and don't match the stamp sizes.
Finally I realised that as the images, thumbnail and detailed did not match the actual image, the perforations were not relevant. In my view the stamp is the same stamp regardless of which perforating machine is used.

Three times you say the perfs are not relevant but if that is so why are the stamps with different perfs listed separately, why do we keep copies and why do different perfs have different prices on Ebay? You know as well as me that we would consider a collection incomplete if you did not have examples of the perfs.
steeljam wrote:They are relevant for the collection but not for visualisation

Even if you are correct why have three pictures? Why not just one and list the possible perfs as differences.
steeljam wrote:Because that is the way my application that creates the web page works. A description and image for each stamp entry

My main point is it looks stupid to put three pictures all the same against a list which says there are differences.
steeljam wrote:There are very few of this type otherwise I would have spent time writing exception code.

PS I really like the site this is just me being pedantic. :)
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jun 13, 2010 01:13 pm

Steve, the site looks incredible! Thank you so much! Like others have said, this is going to make organizing so much easier. :D
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Next

Return to The Stamps