Discworld

Stamp Catalogue

General Stamp discussion.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:13 pm

Vicky4Ecks wrote:Personally I don't know what I would do without the stamp album webpage...I'd be a confused mess
I maintain the catalogue - and I AM a confused mess :?
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17457
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Vicky4Ecks » Sat Mar 05, 2016 02:08 pm

I went to the emporium today and I admit to being a bit mad when I go in there.......
Vicky4Ecks
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 04:50 pm
Location: Yeovil

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Murgatroyd » Sun Mar 13, 2016 02:29 am

Steve, I have a question about the "Pink Shift" Year 2 Patrician that you've listed as SHS-AM0038-Cm in the catalogue.

It appears not only to be "Pink" but it also appears to be missing the full stop after the words "One Penny"...
It may just be a scanning thing, but could you check it out... ?
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd
 
Posts: 1295
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: South Woodford, London.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Sun Mar 13, 2016 03:22 am

Murgatroyd wrote:Steve, I have a question about the "Pink Shift" Year 2 Patrician that you've listed as SHS-AM0038-Cm in the catalogue.
It appears not only to be "Pink" but it also appears to be missing the full stop after the words "One Penny"...
It may just be a scanning thing, but could you check it out... ?
Good spot. The full stop does appear to be missing. The four dots between Ankh-Morpork and One Penny are still present so I don't think it would be a dither issue.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17457
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Muba » Sun Mar 13, 2016 08:31 am

steeljam wrote:
Murgatroyd wrote:Steve, I have a question about the "Pink Shift" Year 2 Patrician that you've listed as SHS-AM0038-Cm in the catalogue.
It appears not only to be "Pink" but it also appears to be missing the full stop after the words "One Penny"...
It may just be a scanning thing, but could you check it out... ?
Good spot. The full stop does appear to be missing. The four dots between Ankh-Morpork and One Penny are still present so I don't think it would be a dither issue.

The catalogue does show Missing Stop on six other YotSF patricians
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
User avatar
Muba
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:58 pm
Location: Llamedos

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Murgatroyd » Sun Mar 13, 2016 01:03 pm

It's looking like a variant of the Clean Ear sport... I wonder if many of them were put into LBE's?
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd
 
Posts: 1295
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: South Woodford, London.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Sun Mar 13, 2016 05:04 pm

Muba wrote:The catalogue does show Missing Stop on six other YotSF patricians

So this could imply the Pink Imperfection is from the Blue Line sheet and more to the point there are some more unreported sports out there!

Edited: Yep. Found a few of the non-spot sports in my spares.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17457
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Muba » Sun Mar 13, 2016 05:29 pm

steeljam wrote:
Muba wrote:The catalogue does show Missing Stop on six other YotSF patricians

So this could imply the Pink Imperfection is from the Blue Line sheet and more to the point there are some more unreported sports out there!


Looks line it!
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
User avatar
Muba
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:58 pm
Location: Llamedos

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Lazzagami » Sun Mar 13, 2016 07:21 pm

I'm getting confused, as I understood it the clean ear sports all had the spot missing, the only way to tell the difference apart from the spot was the cross hatch in the corners was bigger in the corners?
yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, which is why it's called the present.
User avatar
Lazzagami
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 07:50 pm
Location: London - Hackney

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Sun Mar 13, 2016 08:20 pm

Lazzagami wrote:I'm getting confused, as I understood it the clean ear sports all had the spot missing, the only way to tell the difference apart from the spot was the cross hatch in the corners was bigger in the corners?

If you look at the mini sheets (B, C and D) you will see that they are all Clean Ear. However, the Blue Line sheet also has the missing full stop whereas the Red Line has the Full Stop. Yes, it is confusing.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17457
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Muba » Sun Mar 13, 2016 09:03 pm

steeljam wrote:
Lazzagami wrote:I'm getting confused, as I understood it the clean ear sports all had the spot missing, the only way to tell the difference apart from the spot was the cross hatch in the corners was bigger in the corners?

If you look at the mini sheets (B, C and D) you will see that they are all Clean Ear. However, the Blue Line sheet also has the missing full stop whereas the Red Line has the Full Stop. Yes, it is confusing.


The differences between the standard Patrician that year and the sports are quite profound.
As the commons were printed by Enschede again their print resolution was much better than the sports, and are a more intense black
They are also comb perforated 13.5 against the line perfed 10 of the sports
The commons are printed on a slightly thinner paper and have a shiny as opposed to a rough-to-the-touch gum
While both commons and sports are the same sized stamps, the commons have a slightly larger margin, thus the stamp image (including the cross-hatched top corners) is marginally smaller.

And it looks like all the sports are Clean Eared, but some may be also missing the Full Stop. I have checked my stamps but have no missing dots, but we need other collectors to check what they have in their collections, and find out if my osbervations regarding the Clean Ear also apply to any Missing Dot sports which may be out there,
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
User avatar
Muba
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:58 pm
Location: Llamedos

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Wed Mar 23, 2016 09:44 pm

I am working my way through the LBE prize tickets in my possession.
One of the tickets from the May Operatic LBE is for an Operatic Proof Sheet.
I won the sheet as I have a ticket, but am totally at a loss of what is is.
It isn't listed with the proof sheets.
A description or a scan would be appreciated.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17457
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Murgatroyd » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:25 pm

The two May prizes were the Golem trust minisheet, and the Bloodaxe and Ironhammer proof sheet... I don't think there was a third scarce offering.
If it's not one, it might just be the other... Unless the ticket was un-cancelled?
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd
 
Posts: 1295
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: South Woodford, London.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:03 am

Murgatroyd wrote:The two May prizes were the Golem trust minisheet, and the Bloodaxe and Ironhammer proof sheet... I don't think there was a third scarce offering.
If it's not one, it might just be the other... Unless the ticket was un-cancelled?
Thanks Charles - the Bloodaxe and IronHammer was a cultural event!
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17457
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Tue Apr 05, 2016 09:29 pm

The new stamps are now featured in the catalogue
the Llamedos Farthing and the Quirm One Penny.
Both released in the April Fools and April Showers LBE
The Quirm stamp is only available as a sheet or in the LBE until the end of the month.
The Quirm stamp is also featured on the limited edition La Sorbumme cover
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17457
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron