Discworld

Stamp Catalogue

General Stamp discussion.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Murgatroyd » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm curious about the sports of the 2007 Hogswatch 50P Toy shop stamps, Specifically the three sports found on the mini sheet, the one with the rocking horse missing from the window, the one with the Toy seller at the doorway, and the one where the Toy seller has released young Albert from the window. In the line marked "Availability" you have marked these three sports as "LBE only".
Were they ever in fact available as separate stamps in LBE's?
I have heard it said that they were only ever available on the Mini Sheet.
I wonder if you could check on this as I obtained an extra mini sheet to split up so as to be able to display them as separate sports in my album, but I don't want to split the sheet if they were never actually available separately.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Muba » Thu Jul 22, 2010 02:07 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:I'm curious about the sports of the 2007 Hogswatch 50P Toy shop stamps, Specifically the three sports found on the mini sheet, the one with the rocking horse missing from the window, the one with the Toy seller at the doorway, and the one where the Toy seller has released young Albert from the window. In the line marked "Availability" you have marked these three sports as "LBE only".
I wonder if you could check on this as I obtained an extra mini sheet to split up so as to be able to display them as separate sports in my album, but I don't want to split the sheet if they were never actually available separately.

I believe they were only available as the mini-sheet and not as individual stamps.
Also I would hesitate to call them sports. The are more variations, telling a short fragment of a story.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby danjim » Thu Jul 22, 2010 04:01 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:I'm curious about the sports of the 2007 Hogswatch 50P Toy shop stamps, Specifically the three sports found on the mini sheet, the one with the rocking horse missing from the window, the one with the Toy seller at the doorway, and the one where the Toy seller has released young Albert from the window. In the line marked "Availability" you have marked these three sports as "LBE only".

My recollection is that they were originally only available as single sports in some LBEs and then, uniquely, they were produced as a limited edition miniature sheet. Interestingly, at the time I did purchase an extra miniature sheet and split it up for the same reason that you have given.

Daniel
danjim

Postby Muba » Thu Jul 22, 2010 04:50 pm

Here's the announcement at the time
Happy Hogswatch!

As the nights draw in, we are proud to announce some delicious new items
for the festering season of Hogswatch.

Colin Edwards and Alan Batley have excelled themselves, with a snowy
three pence stamp and a festive fifty pence, featuring a traditional
toymaker\'s shop in olde Ankh-Morpork. The brightly lit window displays a
dolls\' house and a rocking horse, while outside in the snow a well-
dressed father and daughter and a ragged street urchin gaze admiringly
at the fine goods within.

Is the small boy\'s nose frozen to the glass? Who can say?

This wonderful stamp is also featured on a splendid new First Day Cover,
in a limited edition of 300.

The three pence is also available on a special and very useful Postbox
Postcard.

There are two new LBEs for the shorter nights and colder days of the
winter season. As usual, the Winter Warmer contains a mix of stamps to
a value of at least £5.00, including one of each of the new Hogswatch
stamps, plus the occasional sport or variant. It is also rumoured that
some of the Owlswick forgeries may have accidentally slipped into the
mix. The Hogswatch Gift LBE contains the same mix, but with the
additional inclusion of one of Shou-Lan Fatsee\'s Unmitigated Sayings,
making it the perfect gift for your flatalist friends.

All are now available to purchase for dispatch from Monday 26 November.

At Hogswatch itself (Saturday 1 December), we will be releasing a
special LBE (1000 only), a proof sheet, and a very special and very
limited edition First Day Cover. There will be just 100, and they will
reveal what happens to the boy on the 50p stamp.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby danjim » Thu Jul 22, 2010 05:52 pm

In a thread on the Hogswatch 2007 stamps Doc Brown suggests that they were available in the LBEs but no-one seems to have owned up to finding any:

Doc Brown wrote:
Moogworzel wrote:Still, as Doc said, the blurb for the Hogswatch Event LBE did imply that there would be VERY special Hogswatch stamp variations in them. For me this suggested that these would not be the sports on the sheets but rather the special sports, maybe not as a block of 4 but certainly individually.

Apparently a limited number of them WERE in the event LBEs, I suggest people check their stamps a little more carefully :wink:

Daniel
danjim

Postby Murgatroyd » Thu Jul 22, 2010 06:19 pm

Thanks Muba, Thanks Danjim,
I had checked Doc Browns spreadsheet to try and resolve the issue and even then I couldn't be sure. On the one hand the entry for the mini sheet read :

"4 stamps (2 high by 2 wide), In response to popular demand, this set of four stamps was released as a mini-sheet. These extra scenes were created at the request of Terry himself, and show the sequence of events leading to the liberation of the young Albert by The Toymaker.
"

However the mini sheet was listed as having only 150 copies available, and the stamps themselves in the stamps list were listed as there being 250 of each available.
Then there were also 100 special Hogswatch FDC's that had the four stamps from the mini sheet on them... this would seem to cover the 250 available.
I'm still unsure as to weather I should split the mini sheet... it seems a bit sacrilegious to split up a rare item like that. I believe the two that show the toymaker are the only two stamps that depict Sir Terry Himself. He does appear on the Year 5 Birthday stickers, both Yellow and Blue, But these aren't stamps, as such, I think of them as stickers. Then again some would say that all Hogswatch stamps fall somewhere between the two camps.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Murgatroyd » Sat Jul 24, 2010 06:01 am

I see the Eight Pence Pseudopolis overprint stamp is marked as being available on the "AM Consulate Passport"... The AM passport comes with a 9P duty stamp, but I can see no trace of the Pseudopolis Eight pence overprint stamp coming with the passport.
I thought it was only available on the cabbage green item : "Third letter to Pseudopolis"
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby steeljam » Sat Jul 24, 2010 07:50 am

Murgatroyd wrote:I see the Eight Pence Pseudopolis overprint stamp is marked as being available on the "AM Consulate Passport"... The AM passport comes with a 9P duty stamp, but I can see no trace of the Pseudopolis Eight pence overprint stamp coming with the passport.
I thought it was only available on the cabbage green item : "Third letter to Pseudopolis"

It is an error. There is still a lot of snagging to do on the.site.
Unfortunately I have been away from home three weeks in the past four on business and not been able to work on the site.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby steeljam » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:21 pm

Updates:
Unseen University Definitives and Transformations
Farthing
One Penny
Penny Farthing
steeljam
Monitor

Postby steeljam » Sat Aug 07, 2010 09:42 pm

I have revamped parts of the site.
I have split the UU transformation strip from the UU definitives.
I have added some of the sheets images for the early stamps - this is ongoing.
With the help of Skaven I have also corrected some typos and improved the index page.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Oeblate Cosmous » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:46 am

Hi steel! There are a few things I've come across while using your fantastic site for research -- and I thank all the gods daily for that site(!) -- I checked them again now to see if they had been fixed but they are still there, so unless the servers are VERY delayed in updating, here they are:

- Might it be a good idea to cross-list the Fourecks overprint of the UU penny in the index under UU also?
- In the Year 2006 there are 2 separate entries for Fool's Guild Post Paid. The stamps are nearly identical or identical, the descriptions are almost identical, and they have a 2-day difference in release date. Seems like something you usually put together on the same page. Error? Looks almost as if one of them is an old page you forgot to delete.
- 2005 Penny Patrician Back: Release dates seem incorrect. Dec. 01, 2005 for common and Jan. 12, 2005 for sport. Did someone accidentally invert the month and day on one (12/01/05 - 01/12/05) or just a coincidence?
- Same dates as above with the 2005 Ankh Two Pence Blue, supposedly the sport is on the same sheet as the stamps that were released a month before. Was there an early printing with no sport on the sheet?
- Penny Civic: Again, was there an early printing without sports? Or inverted month and day (04/01/05 - 01/04/05)?
- Should one of the Year of the Three Roses categories in the index list the Year of the Three Roses stamp from Journal 13?
- And this is something I've been meaning to ask for a while now: Are the Alchemists Penny Farthing Charity, Half Farthing Widow's Mite, and Penny Prayer all part of the Alchemists' Guild? Or do they just look very similar? ... And since they look so similar, might it be a good idea to have an index category that lists them all?

I've gone through the entire site in detail, and had made more notes but can't seem to find them. If I do, I'll post again. Thanks so much for your great work! 8)
Sage words from Terry Pratchett:

∞ “Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time might start to think.” ∞
∞
“Always be wary of any helpful item which weighs less than its operating manual.” ∞
Oeblate Cosmous

Postby Muba » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:41 am

my thoughts below in red

Oeblate Cosmous wrote:Hi steel! There are a few things I've come across while using your fantastic site for research -- and I thank all the gods daily for that site(!) -- I checked them again now to see if they had been fixed but they are still there, so unless the servers are VERY delayed in updating, here they are:

- Might it be a good idea to cross-list the Fourecks overprint of the UU penny in the index under UU also?
- In the Year 2006 there are 2 separate entries for Fool's Guild Post Paid. The stamps are nearly identical or identical, the descriptions are almost identical, and they have a 2-day difference in release date. Seems like something you usually put together on the same page. Error? Looks almost as if one of them is an old page you forgot to delete.
was the first entry meant to be the 'Little sticky Bits' inscribed Dico dico dico and only available at the Con?
- 2005 Penny Patrician Back: Release dates seem incorrect. Dec. 01, 2005 for common and Jan. 12, 2005 for sport. Did someone accidentally invert the month and day on one (12/01/05 - 01/12/05) or just a coincidence?
The clean ear sport is listed as released March 07 on doc's speadsheet, availability only in LBEs
What I have noticed on these AM definitives is the SHS numbers seem to have divirged from those on v11 of the spreadsheet. The 1p is AM00038 on your site but 00034 on the spreadsheet. Other AM definitives differ likewise.

- Same dates as above with the 2005 Ankh Two Pence Blue, supposedly the sport is on the same sheet as the stamps that were released a month before. Was there an early printing with no sport on the sheet?
this should be same date
- Penny Civic: Again, was there an early printing without sports? Or inverted month and day (04/01/05 - 01/04/05)?
both should be April
- Should one of the Year of the Three Roses categories in the index list the Year of the Three Roses stamp from Journal 13?
That is usally classsed as a label as it bears no value. However where it will fit in in the scheme of things will be difficult
- And this is something I've been meaning to ask for a while now: Are the Alchemists Penny Farthing Charity, Half Farthing Widow's Mite, and Penny Prayer all part of the Alchemists' Guild? Or do they just look very similar? ... And since they look so similar, might it be a good idea to have an index category that lists them all?
Those hands are an easily found image on the net, on religious sites and as clipart. Bernard is very eco-conscious and recycles everything

I've gone through the entire site in detail, and had made more notes but can't seem to find them. If I do, I'll post again. Thanks so much for your great work! 8)
Muba

Postby steeljam » Sun Aug 08, 2010 01:26 pm

The numbering has changed from the spreadsheet.
Some additions missed by Doc were added in and some non-DW stamps were removed and this meant an adjustment in the numbering.

The second Fools' Guild entry was my mistake and it has been removed.

Some the date errors were due to the different style of date between UK and USA. I typed 1/12/2010 (1st December) the system decided to store 12/1/2010. When redisplayed it showed as 12th January. Problem now been fixed.

I have added the Unseen University as an Index for the Foureks overprint.

I know there is still a lot of tidying up to do. I have now added a spellchecker to my application to removed silly typos.

Steve
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Muba » Sun Aug 08, 2010 02:22 pm

steeljam wrote:The numbering has changed from the spreadsheet.
Some additions missed by Doc were added in and some non-DW stamps were removed and this meant an adjustment in the numbering.

While re-cataloguing a stamp when new additions to the list, I have found that Stanley Gibbons policy of not-renumbering and squeezing the new stamp in with an 'a' suffix confusing and inappropriate.
Will this be the definitive (no pun indended) numbering system now, and will it remain fixed in stone?
Muba

Postby steeljam » Sun Aug 08, 2010 02:42 pm

Muba wrote:
steeljam wrote:The numbering has changed from the spreadsheet.

While re-cataloguing a stamp when new additions to the list, I have found that Stanley Gibbons policy of not-renumbering and squeezing the new stamp in with an 'a' suffix confusing and inappropriate.
Will this be the definitive (no pun indended) numbering system now, and will it remain fixed in stone?
I don't think I have missed out any stamps. No more renumbering.
steeljam
Monitor

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps