Discworld

Stamp Catalogue

General Stamp discussion.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby SimonC » Sun Jun 13, 2010 03:42 pm

Just one minor point.

The perforations are described as Wincanton 10cm, Bath 12cm and Machine 13cm. Should this not be 10, 12 and 13 per inch?

Edited to add: wonderful piece of work, VERY impressive and a great reference.
SimonC

Postby Muba » Sun Jun 13, 2010 03:50 pm

SimonC wrote:Just one minor point.

The perforations are described as Wincanton 10cm, Bath 12cm and Machine 13cm. Should this not be 10, 12 and 13 per inch?

Edited to add: wonderful piece of work, VERY impressive and a great reference.

Though DW seems to have a preference for good old units of measurement, the stamp perforations are measured in cm. However it should be per 2cm. If in doubt just put a stamp against a metric ruler and count the perforations.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Karenjo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 06:14 pm

WOW! this looks fabulous, the glossary is also extremely useful... you've done amazing work. :D
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" Oscar Wilde
Karenjo

Postby danjim » Sun Jun 13, 2010 06:47 pm

Firstly, let me add my congratulations to Steeljam, this is a great looking site and the pictures make all the difference, particularly in distinguishing between commons and sports. Clearly a lot of hard work has gone into it but I'm also sure that it was a labour of love. It will now be the standard reference on all Discworld stamp matters.

As far as the debate over the perforations is concerned, I agree that perforations are of interest and of note to philatelists and flatalists, but I would make a further point which I have made elsewhere on a couple of occassions and that is regarding the machine perforated stamps. These year one definitives were printed by Enchede Printers in Holland to a very high standard and are immediately distinguishable from their Bath/Wincanton counterparts, which were printed in the UK, and deserve to be listed as distinctly different stamps. After all, the difference is not the same as colour variations caused by reprints of stamps from the same printer. Moreover, this difference in stamp printer is more notable than the difference in perforation and this would be the case for RW catalogues.

I have one minor correction to make regarding the 2009 Twoshirts stamp. What has commonly been referred to as a shade in the window is actually a sign that says Souvenirs. This is only apparent from the postcard of the stamp image released in 2005 for the Twoshirts stamps. From the book 'A Hat Full of Sky', Twoshirts is described as: 'There was nothing there but an inn for the coaches, a blacksmith's shop, and a small store with the word SOUVENIRS written optimistacally on a scrap of cardboard in the window.' Here is a close-up from the postcard:

Daniel
danjim

Postby Chip » Mon Jun 14, 2010 01:01 am

This catalog site is great. Thanks for your hard work. :thumbl:
I've noticed a few stamps missing:
The Seamstress 1 farthing sport - with three small stars around the base of the lantern
3 p postage due and sport
5 p postage due
Chip

Postby steeljam » Mon Jun 14, 2010 06:58 am

Chip wrote:This catalog site is great. Thanks for your hard work. :thumbl:
I've noticed a few stamps missing:
The Seamstress 1 farthing sport - with three small stars around the base of the lantern
3 p postage due and sport
5 p postage due
Thanks Chip
Any idea when the stamps were issued also scans would be very helpful.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Murgatroyd » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 am

The Site is beautiful, and a real labor of love... I notice that many of the stamp illustrations now include a copyright line... Was the issue of people copying and pasting the scans becoming a problem?

Chip mentioned the Seamstress 1/4 Postage paid sport... the stamp was issued as the Journal freebie for SH journal 16... I don't know when this journal became available. The only picture of the sport I have ever seen was in the Stanlety Howler Stamp Album Supplement... the second supplement I believe. ( It's supposed to be extremely rare, Only 2 or 3 may be in existence.)
The 3P and 5P Postage due stamps were not in Doc Brown's Spreadsheet, which implies that they were released after Feb '09... I had no idea that they had sports, (Which shows how much I relied on the spreadsheet).

Now a few new points:
The Y1 TOA. There seems to be a bit of a mix up with the first or original splash sport. This was actually available in Wincanton and Bath perforations... but there was only one image version of the original splash. You have 2 versions of it listed, the Wincanton one is correct, but the Bath version is wrongly labled "Bigger Splash" and "Wincanton perf". The Bigger splash was only available in the second batch of sports issued the following year.

The Djelibeybi Five Ptascp had a second sport : The Border sport. (r2c2 on the sheet). I believe Martin ment to list it on his spreadsheet, but instead listed the bird sport twice. The Border to the left of the word "Djelibeybi" at the bottom of the stamp is slightly different.

The Hogswatch Tryptich has the middle section of the common version listed as "Winking Boar"... it's the Sport middle section that has the boar winking. Also the final picture of the right section of the sport version seems squashed.

The 4X overprint of the UU Penny stamp seems to be missing, along with it's sport.

Finally, would it be possible to show the Skunk sport of the 1st year 50P Field of cabbage stamp in it's jar, along with the labels?

I'm sorry I don't have any scans, but my wretched printer won't scan properly.

Many thanks for all your hard work on the site... you've done us all a very great favor.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby phalarope » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:21 pm

This is a superior and much needed site. I have already printed a couple of the pages to have at hand when looking for sports. Thank you, thank you, for all the hard work and organization that has gone into this already, and it looks like there is more good stuff to come.

My comments:
I agree with what danjim said about perfs on the earlier stamps. Perfs are very important to a subset of us, and I'm still looking for good illustrations that show perf types in those early stamps. Illustrating the stamps in question on a black background would be the ticket.

The first Assassin stamps are particularly problematical for me. The reverse of these are just as important as the face, so a pairing of the gum side to the face for each of these would be great. Also, the 'Post Paid' version seems to be missing.sport at the top next to the description of the common,

I think the Sir Roderick Purdeigh stamps are reversed on the page, with the sport at the top next to the description of the common.

I do hope that either this becomes available as an Excel spreadsheet or Martyn's spreadsheet continues to be updated (soon please). The spreadsheet is sortable and editable, and I find it invaluable for keeping track of what I have and need; whereas this catalog is most useful to me for the illustrations. I know, I know, I should stop complaining and do it myself, but that's just not in the list of things I can spend time on just now, alas)

Again, just BRILLIANT work, Steve!
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby steeljam » Tue Jun 15, 2010 02:48 pm

phalarope wrote:This is a superior and much needed site. I have already printed a couple of the pages to have at hand when looking for sports. Thank you, thank you, for all the hard work and organization that has gone into this already, and it looks like there is more good stuff to come.

My comments:
I agree with what danjim said about perfs on the earlier stamps. Perfs are very important to a subset of us, and I'm still looking for good illustrations that show perf types in those early stamps. Illustrating the stamps in question on a black background would be the ticket.

The first Assassin stamps are particularly problematical for me. The reverse of these are just as important as the face, so a pairing of the gum side to the face for each of these would be great. Also, the 'Post Paid' version seems to be missing.sport at the top next to the description of the common,

I think the Sir Roderick Purdeigh stamps are reversed on the page, with the sport at the top next to the description of the common.

I do hope that either this becomes available as an Excel spreadsheet or Martyn's spreadsheet continues to be updated (soon please). The spreadsheet is sortable and editable, and I find it invaluable for keeping track of what I have and need; whereas this catalog is most useful to me for the illustrations. I know, I know, I should stop complaining and do it myself, but that's just not in the list of things I can spend time on just now, alas)

Again, just BRILLIANT work, Steve!
Thank chips, danjim, murgatroyd and phalarope for the comments.
I'll have a look at them when I get a chance.
I am working on adding additional images (see the Patrician Moves stamp) and this will include the backs of the stamps and labels.
I intend to create a csv downloadable version alongside the pdf report currently available.
The hardest part of the web site creation was getting stamp blind. I appreciate all those who have reviewed the stamps and updated me with the errors and suggestions.
Steve
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Vicky 'Susan' Ward » Tue Jun 15, 2010 09:12 pm

So brilliant, it's really helping a newbie like me!
Vicky 'Susan' Ward

Postby demetrios voutsis » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Mate, I always wanted a catalogue like this one! You are a life saver! Regarding perforations and images, I feel it's good to have an image per perforation. I know there have been objections but for the likes of me, it's a real kick in the pants to make sure I do not miss anything. Growing old and cranky, I need this. Thanks again!
Illegitimis non carborundum
demetrios voutsis

Postby SavMousehammer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:40 am

As others have said, an absolutely fantastic site.
For those of us who were'nt around at the start this will be an invaluable and most excellent resource!
:D :D
Of course I can keep a secret, it's the people that I tell that let me down so bad.
SavMousehammer

Postby Muba » Wed Jun 16, 2010 04:00 pm

Vicky 'Susan' Ward wrote:So brilliant, it's really helping a newbie like me!

A big help for those at the beginning too. They must be getting old now and their memories ain't what they used to be :wink:
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby steeljam » Fri Jun 18, 2010 08:59 am

Site Update:
Assassins' Post Paid here now has scans of the backs and more.
Skunk Stamp: here now has an image of the stamp and scans of the jar cap, label and more.
Thieves' Approval here added with image of strip. I now have a strip with a sport so will add this soon.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Jun 18, 2010 09:09 am

I'm late to the party but Steve, your Stamp catalogue is AWESOME! And I fully agree and understand with the need to draw lines somewhere such as with perforations and such. I know only too well how hard it can be to keep track of things at the best of times without having the task of keeping track of little details like perforations or print colour variations!

One stamp that seems missing is the Discworld convention 2006 stamp (Fools Guild little sticky bits). I only notice because I found my sheet the other day and want to break it up for the single stamp and can't remember if there is a sport or not :P
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps