Discworld

Stamp Catalogue

General Stamp discussion.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Wed Jun 23, 2010 07:27 am

Muba wrote:
steeljam wrote:I have added the 8 pence pseudopolis overprint (from the Letters to Pseudopolis series).

Where is this listed Steve. Its not coming up in the (fantastic) index
Sorry. I have not had time to update the index.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Murgatroyd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 07:55 am

I know that you're working very hard on this project, and that with Sheets, LBE's, Envelopes and Stickers/Cinderellas to sort out, you have a great deal yet to do...
I was wondering how your plans were coming along on the Album pages download that you mentioned ?
I, and I suspect many others here, have downloaded the Album pages from the shop, but beautiful as they are, they are long out of date, and now only cover a fraction of the whole catalogue. I started to try and assemble my own Album pages, but It's such a massive undertaking, obtaining scans of all the stamps, playing with the images until they are of more or less uniform relative dimensions, Typing in all the descriptions and so on, that I'm beginning to doubt that I'll ever get round to finishing it. My scanner steadfastly refuses to work, I'm totally pants at graphic design, and my typing speed is extremely slow...
Some time back you produced a set of album Pages, and said that you would add images of the stamps when you had them all... Is this liable to happen anytime soon?
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby steeljam » Wed Jun 23, 2010 08:14 am

Murgatroyd wrote:I know that you're working very hard on this project, and that with Sheets, LBE's, Envelopes and Stickers/Cinderellas to sort out, you have a great deal yet to do...
I was wondering how your plans were coming along on the Album pages download that you mentioned ?
I, and I suspect many others here, have downloaded the Album pages from the shop, but beautiful as they are, they are long out of date, and now only cover a fraction of the whole catalogue. I started to try and assemble my own Album pages, but It's such a massive undertaking, obtaining scans of all the stamps, playing with the images until they are of more or less uniform relative dimensions, Typing in all the descriptions and so on, that I'm beginning to doubt that I'll ever get round to finishing it. My scanner steadfastly refuses to work, I'm totally pants at graphic design, and my typing speed is extremely slow...
Some time back you produced a set of album Pages, and said that you would add images of the stamps when you had them all... Is this liable to happen anytime soon?
Well, now I have the data sorted this is my next project. Mainly so I can start getting my stamps in some form of order and finding out just how many holes I have in my collection.
This is also the reason for having the repeated stamps where just the perforation is different so a place will be created on the page.
I hope to have the album ready by the end of July. The pages will be in pdf format, though they could be made available in Word format as this is what I will use to create the pages.

What would you prefer?
One file per stamp so you can download as required,
One file per year of issue,
One file with all the stamps pages.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Murgatroyd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 09:55 am

Well, I think as I'm going to download the lot, and then try and print them all out, (note to self : Start saving up for all the ink cartridges I'm going to need!), I guess one big file for the lot...
It would work best for me in Word, as I know my computer can handle that format, and I can tweak any bits and pieces I need to, (like removing spaces for stamps that I'll never own... Blue triangle sport in two perforations... snif... sob)
On the other hand It might be better to do one file for each year, as files that are too big often have problems downloading, We have a lot of power cuts over here in Thailand, and I'd hate to be almost finished downloading one massive file, only to have all the lights go out and have to start all over again. (Downloads tend to take a long time over here due to the crap internet services)
I can't wait to get my Albums arranged I'm trying for the sheet, the stamp and the sport of each issue... (Except for those elusive "There were only 3 (or 10 or 65) of these stamps ever sold)
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby steeljam » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:03 am

Murgatroyd wrote:Well, I think as I'm going to download the lot, and then try and print them all out, (note to self : Start saving up for all the ink cartridges I'm going to need!), I guess one big file for the lot...
It would work best for me in Word, as I know my computer can handle that format, and I can tweak any bits and pieces I need to, (like removing spaces for stamps that I'll never own... Blue triangle sport in two perforations... snif... sob)
On the other hand It might be better to do one file for each year, as files that are too big often have problems downloading, We have a lot of power cuts over here in Thailand, and I'd hate to be almost finished downloading one massive file, only to have all the lights go out and have to start all over again. (Downloads tend to take a long time over here due to the crap internet services)
I can't wait to get my Albums arranged I'm trying for the sheet, the stamp and the sport of each issue... (Except for those elusive "There were only 3 (or 10 or 65) of these stamps ever sold)
Once up and running I could issue individual album pages as soon as I can set them up on the database.
Thinking about it I could add a link on each stamp page to the relevant album page.
Word would allow you to add your own comments, images and background image. I have a number of mis-perfs and odd stamps that are not in the catalogue but I want to appear in my album.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Murgatroyd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:43 am

You're quite right... I have several Misperforated stamps, and a few Colour variations that I'd like to display...
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Frank the Younger » Wed Jun 23, 2010 05:41 pm

Problem with error reporting.
Went to http://www.steeljam.co.uk/discworldstam ... s0193.html (Musicians 2p)clicked on differences and got a box saying there was an error.
(Not really relevant) Nice but can't you get it to automatically say where the error was?

When I filled it in I get:
Bad Referrer - Access Denied
The form attempting to use FormMail resides at http://www.steeljam.co.uk/discworldstam ... m0193b.gif, which is not allowed to access this cgi script.

If you are attempting to configure FormMail to run with this form, you need to add the following to @referers, explained in detail in the README file.

Add 'www.steeljam.co.uk' to your @referers array.
FormMail V1.92 © 1995 - 2002 Matt Wright
A Free Product of Matt's Script Archive, Inc.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby steeljam » Wed Jun 23, 2010 06:09 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:Problem with error reporting.
Went to http://www.steeljam.co.uk/discworldstam ... s0193.html (Musicians 2p)clicked on differences and got a box saying there was an error.
(Not really relevant) Nice but can't you get it to automatically say where the error was?
It does say why the error happened but it is not too obvious
The page you tried to access isn't here.

My fault - I changed the file naming convention and did tel this bit of the program. Sorry :oops:
Will be fixed tonight.

Edited to say Error now corrected.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Chip » Fri Jun 25, 2010 01:16 am

There are three other overprinted stamps you might consider adding:
10p Morporkia green overprinted "Authorized Increase of 1/4p" from the Dribbled on by Toads cover
1p Anoia overprinted "For Eccclesiastical Use Only" from the Snake Venom cover
1/4p Merchants' Guild overprinted with two Ps in triangles from the Defecated upon by Mongeese cover

Also, the Assassins' Guild Contract Renewal stamp exists with two overprints.
:book:
Chip

Postby danjim » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:11 am

Chip wrote:There are three other overprinted stamps you might consider adding:
10p Morporkia green overprinted "Authorized Increase of 1/4p" from the Dribbled on by Toads cover
1/4p Merchants' Guild overprinted with two Ps in triangles from the Defecated upon by Mongeese cover

More stamps that I didn't know existed! Actually, I even have the Snake Venom cover but had never looked inside before :oops: Here is an image:

danjim

Postby Muba » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:03 pm

I had to open mine when I got them
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby jonty » Sun Jun 27, 2010 06:21 am

Will have to open all of mine to see what goodies are contained therein :D
.Life is a sexually transmitted disease and there is a 100% mortality rate. ~R.D. Laing
jonty

Postby steeljam » Sun Jun 27, 2010 06:23 pm

Chip wrote:There are three other overprinted stamps you might consider adding:
Stamp catalogue updated with the above stamps.
Thanks for the help.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Murgatroyd » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:09 am

Just for the sake of completism you might add the perforated proof sheet version of the Anoia stamp, as it's slightly larger than the standard issue.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Muba » Mon Jun 28, 2010 08:40 am

Murgatroyd wrote:Just for the sake of completism you might add the perforated proof sheet version of the Anoia stamp, as it's slightly larger than the standard issue.

and the shading in the background is much much lighter
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps