Page 5 of 78

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 05:15 pm
by danjim
Muba wrote:
Murgatroyd wrote:Just for the sake of completism you might add the perforated proof sheet version of the Anoia stamp, as it's slightly larger than the standard issue.

and the shading in the background is much much lighter


This is a difficult one to judge, is it a stamp or a proof sheet?

Presumably, it was produced as a very ornate proof sheet but, uniquely, with the stamp element being perforated. Were it to be detached from the sheet it would readily pass through the post as a normal Anoia stamp.

I'm happy for Steeljam to decide how he'll classify it.

Daniel

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 06:12 pm
by Murgatroyd
It's not entirely unique, as the 2 Koom Valley 10P Commemorative Dwarf and Troll stamps that are already listed in the catalogue were also presented on ornate perforated proof sheets... I'd say some sort of precedent has already been established there... of course, as you say, it's entirely up to Steeljam.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 07:12 pm
by Muba
Murgatroyd wrote:It's not entirely unique, as the 2 Koom Valley 10P Commemorative Dwarf and Troll stamps that are already listed in the catalogue were also presented on ornate perforated proof sheets... I'd say some sort of precedent has already been established there... of course, as you say, it's entirely up to Steeljam.


The two Koom Valley sheets contain a stamp that is different to the regular KV stamps though.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:13 pm
by danjim
Muba wrote:
Murgatroyd wrote:It's not entirely unique, as the 2 Koom Valley 10P Commemorative Dwarf and Troll stamps that are already listed in the catalogue were also presented on ornate perforated proof sheets... I'd say some sort of precedent has already been established there... of course, as you say, it's entirely up to Steeljam.


The two Koom Valley sheets contain a stamp that is different to the regular KV stamps though.


Yes, and for that reason they are another anomaly.

Here is another one. Are the Scouts 'stamps' denominated in denarii (old pence) and shillings (also listed in the catalogue) stamps or labels? They don't really fit into the stamp canon, not least because of the currency.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:25 pm
by Muba
They are in that void betwixt DW and RW. The values are in mixed currency; $sd in fact. The Jamboree was held here on RW, but look at the participants on the Triangle stamp. An issue that confuses.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:46 am
by Chip
danjim wrote:
Muba wrote:
Murgatroyd wrote:It's not entirely unique, as the 2 Koom Valley 10P Commemorative Dwarf and Troll stamps that are already listed in the catalogue were also presented on ornate perforated proof sheets... I'd say some sort of precedent has already been established there... of course, as you say, it's entirely up to Steeljam.


The two Koom Valley sheets contain a stamp that is different to the regular KV stamps though.


Yes, and for that reason they are another anomaly.


They are not anomalies nor are they proof sheets. They are souvenir sheets. As such they are issued by the post office for use by the general public. Proofs or proof sheets are prepared by the printer for the post office's approval and are usually not released to the public but in any case are not valid for postage. Proofs may not reflect the final design of the stamp. So the Anoia proof is slightly different from the Anoia stamp.

So, the KV Commemorative sheets should be listed with the regular postage stamps and the Anoia sheet would be listed with the other proof sheets.

Maybe a little pedantic, but I think it's the simplest way to look at these. :)

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 05:39 am
by danjim
Chip wrote:
danjim wrote:
Muba wrote:
The two Koom Valley sheets contain a stamp that is different to the regular KV stamps though.


Yes, and for that reason they are another anomaly.


They are not anomalies nor are they proof sheets. They are souvenir sheets. As such they are issued by the post office for use by the general public. Proofs or proof sheets are prepared by the printer for the post office's approval and are usually not released to the public but in any case are not valid for postage. Proofs may not reflect the final design of the stamp. So the Anoia proof is slightly different from the Anoia stamp.

So, the KV Commemorative sheets should be listed with the regular postage stamps and the Anoia sheet would be listed with the other proof sheets.

Maybe a little pedantic, but I think it's the simplest way to look at these. :)


Except that they are stated as being Proof Sheets here:

http://www.discworldemporium.com/catalo ... 2&catid=20

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:50 am
by Murgatroyd
Another question applies to the Pain of Pain stamps. There are currently four colour variations listed in the catalogue. However, If you carefully examine the Phosphor gloss overprints on the Pain of pain sheet it turns out that there are actually 10 different Pain of Pain stamps represented there. Two variants of the Blue stamp, two variants of the Red stamp, The Black stamp, and five different variants of the Purple stamp.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:54 am
by Muba
Examples of the Pain in the A... I mean Pain of Pains here
http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12833&hilit=pain

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:04 pm
by Muba
Just noticed on the original Bad Blintz higher values that the perforations are 16 / 2mm, much like the UU stamps.
Thia applies to the 10, 20, 50 and 100 Bizot stamps. The 1,2 and 5 B are 13.5 / 2cm.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:08 pm
by Muba
And dont forget the two Booklets of Bad Blintz 50B stamps, one overprinted for Zlobenia

Both have generated 2 new stamps. Each has a left hand and a right hand imperforate stamp.

I won't mention the books having a printing with brighter colours

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:57 pm
by steeljam
FOR SALE

One careful owner

STAMP CATALOGUE

Owner going a little loonie

All offers considered


:lol:

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:00 pm
by Muba
As with most projects, 95% of the content is done in 25% of the time. The other 5% takes 195% of the time.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:28 pm
by steeljam
Muba wrote:As with most projects, 95% of the content is done in 25% of the time. The other 5% takes 195% of the time.

:D

To be honest it is beilliant there are so many people to help get the catalogue up to scratch.
Once done I can visit the British Library and tell them what they are missing. :D

Re: Stamp Catalogue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:32 pm
by Muba
steeljam wrote:
Muba wrote:As with most projects, 95% of the content is done in 25% of the time. The other 5% takes 195% of the time.

:D

To be honest it is beilliant there are so many people to help get the catalogue up to scratch.
Once done I can visit the British Library and tell them what they are missing. :D


Then pop across to Stanley Gibbons and tell them what they're missing