Discworld

Stamp Catalogue

General Stamp discussion.

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Kelshandra » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:00 pm

steeljam wrote:FOR SALE

One careful owner

STAMP CATALOGUE

Owner going a little loonie

All offers considered


:lol:


You just have to be willing to turn around and say 'tough, I'm not keeping track of [insert whatever line in the sand you have drawn]'. Believe me, it's necessary for sanity reasons. People who still are not happy are welcome to go and make their own catalogues :wink:
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Kelshandra
 
Posts: 7410
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 05:11 am
Location: SE corner of XXXX

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Muba » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:23 pm

Kelshandra wrote:You just have to be willing to turn around and say 'tough, I'm not keeping track of [insert whatever line in the sand you have drawn]'. Believe me, it's necessary for sanity reasons. People who still are not happy are welcome to go and make their own catalogues :wink:


The problem with lines in the sand is that if the tide doesn't was them away, the wind will soon remove them.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
User avatar
Muba
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:58 pm
Location: Llamedos

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Chip » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:43 am

danjim wrote:
Except that they are stated as being Proof Sheets here:

http://www.discworldemporium.com/catalo ... 2&catid=20


You're right! And I had such a nice argument constructed. The facts get in the way again. :oops:
User avatar
Chip
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:55 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Lazzagami » Wed Jun 30, 2010 06:14 am

danjim wrote:
Muba wrote:
Murgatroyd wrote:It's not entirely unique, as the 2 Koom Valley 10P Commemorative Dwarf and Troll stamps that are already listed in the catalogue were also presented on ornate perforated proof sheets... I'd say some sort of precedent has already been established there... of course, as you say, it's entirely up to Steeljam.


The two Koom Valley sheets contain a stamp that is different to the regular KV stamps though.


Yes, and for that reason they are another anomaly.

Here is another one. Are the Scouts 'stamps' denominated in denarii (old pence) and shillings (also listed in the catalogue) stamps or labels? They don't really fit into the stamp canon, not least because of the currency.


Everyone knows that you take anything written in print with a pinch of salt :thumbl:

I have two versions of Assassin archive sheets that clearly state 'Three penny antidote' so does that mean
that is what they are, when on the stamp it says 'postage paid' :?:
yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, which is why it's called the present.
User avatar
Lazzagami
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 07:50 pm
Location: London - Hackney

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Wed Jun 30, 2010 09:34 am

Lazzagami wrote:I have two versions of Assassin archive sheets that clearly state 'Three penny antidote' so does that mean
that is what they are, when on the stamp it says 'postage paid' :?:
Evenso you should avoid placing your tongue anywhere near the sheet. :D
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17629
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Muba » Wed Jun 30, 2010 05:59 pm

I've just noticed the Cinderellas tab's goone missing.
Will these now be included within Stamps?
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
User avatar
Muba
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:58 pm
Location: Llamedos

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby danjim » Wed Jun 30, 2010 09:02 pm

Chip wrote:
danjim wrote:
Except that they are stated as being Proof Sheets here:

http://www.discworldemporium.com/catalo ... 2&catid=20


You're right! And I had such a nice argument constructed. The facts get in the way again. :oops:


I actually agree that these sit better as souvenir sheets rather than as proof sheets and this may be down to a wrong description but as I recall they were also described as proof sheets in the journal at the time. This may be the point that Lazzagami was making but we can't automatically assume that all descriptions are wrong :)
User avatar
danjim
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 09:47 pm
Location: Twickenham

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Thu Jul 01, 2010 06:11 pm

Muba wrote:I've just noticed the Cinderellas tab's goone missing.
Will these now be included within Stamps?
The unused tabs are in flux at the moment. There will* be a Cinderella section.

* For a given value of will
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17629
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Muba » Sun Jul 04, 2010 03:33 pm

I really hate to say this but look at the $5 Lawyers' Guild entries. On the headings/titles the apostrophe is in the wrong place!

I probably need to be away for a few days after pointing that out.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
User avatar
Muba
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:58 pm
Location: Llamedos

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Mon Jul 05, 2010 09:19 am

Muba wrote:I really hate to say this but look at the $5 Lawyers' Guild entries. On the headings/titles the apostrophe is in the wrong place!
I probably need to be away for a few days after pointing that out.
He he :D
This was a difficult one you may disagree with my decision.
The original stamps were printed as Lawyer's Guild hence that is what they are named as in the catalogue as $5 Lawyer's Guild.
The replacements are reprints of the $5 Lawyer's Guild stamps hence $5 Lawyer's Guild reprints.
I could have called them $5 Lawyers' Guild but not $5 Lawyers' Guild reprint because they weren't :?
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17629
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Muba » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:09 pm

steeljam wrote:
Muba wrote:I really hate to say this but look at the $5 Lawyers' Guild entries. On the headings/titles the apostrophe is in the wrong place!
I probably need to be away for a few days after pointing that out.
He he :D
This was a difficult one you may disagree with my decision.
The original stamps were printed as Lawyer's Guild hence that is what they are named as in the catalogue as $5 Lawyer's Guild.
The replacements are reprints of the $5 Lawyer's Guild stamps hence $5 Lawyer's Guild reprints.
I could have called them $5 Lawyers' Guild but not $5 Lawyers' Guild reprint because they weren't :?



Is that the case for the defence?

If so I will call my first witness who will show beyond doubt that both entries should be Lawyers' Guild because Lawyer's is just so incorrect
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
User avatar
Muba
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:58 pm
Location: Llamedos

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby noggin » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 am

Muba wrote:
steeljam wrote:
Muba wrote:I really hate to say this but look at the $5 Lawyers' Guild entries. On the headings/titles the apostrophe is in the wrong place!
I probably need to be away for a few days after pointing that out.
He he :D
This was a difficult one you may disagree with my decision.
The original stamps were printed as Lawyer's Guild hence that is what they are named as in the catalogue as $5 Lawyer's Guild.
The replacements are reprints of the $5 Lawyer's Guild stamps hence $5 Lawyer's Guild reprints.
I could have called them $5 Lawyers' Guild but not $5 Lawyers' Guild reprint because they weren't :?



Is that the case for the defence?

If so I will call my first witness who will show beyond doubt that both entries should be Lawyers' Guild because Lawyer's is just so incorrect


What about the One Penny Lawyers Guild stamp. As for the $5 stamps the first was the misspelt or misprint Lawyers' Guild stamp and the second was the reprint or corrected $5 Lawyers' Guild stamp.

I think you may have also got your knickers :oops: sorry y-fronts in a twist on the Guild of Heralds Three Pence. The Chamber Pot handle is on the right for the common & left for the sport.

Then there's the $1 Tower of Art Reversed Ptarmigan the order is Darren, Jonty (inverted) & Noggin

Oh by the way love the Cataloge :D
noggin
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 02:42 pm
Location: Leicester

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby danjim » Wed Jul 07, 2010 03:52 pm

Muba wrote:
steeljam wrote:
Muba wrote:I really hate to say this but look at the $5 Lawyers' Guild entries. On the headings/titles the apostrophe is in the wrong place!
I probably need to be away for a few days after pointing that out.
He he :D
This was a difficult one you may disagree with my decision.
The original stamps were printed as Lawyer's Guild hence that is what they are named as in the catalogue as $5 Lawyer's Guild.
The replacements are reprints of the $5 Lawyer's Guild stamps hence $5 Lawyer's Guild reprints.
I could have called them $5 Lawyers' Guild but not $5 Lawyers' Guild reprint because they weren't :?



Is that the case for the defence?

If so I will call my first witness who will show beyond doubt that both entries should be Lawyers' Guild because Lawyer's is just so incorrect


There is a good case in support of Steeljam's argument. The designer, Colin Edwards, has stated that the only reason that the stamp was reprinted was because of the poor quality of the printing due to a new firm being used. The roving apostrophe was said to be in keeping with the quirky nature of the Discworld. Only after the decision was made to reprint was it decided to rectify the guild name.

Daniel
User avatar
danjim
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 09:47 pm
Location: Twickenham

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby steeljam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:41 pm

I have decided what to do with the Lawyers' Guild stamps. Both sets will be renamed Lawyers' Guild.

However this is not the reason for my post.
I have a more pressing problem.

That nice chap Keith (Sailor Return) has kindly pointed out I have made an error.
I have recorded a Tobacco and Snuff Seven Ha'penny Duty Paid stamp as being issued on 1st August 2009 and being available in Journal 19.
I checked and Keith is right. I said he was a nice chap didn't I?

The stamp available in the journal was 7½p Duty Paid stamp.
So when and from where did the Tobacco and Snuff 7p (not 7½p) Duty Paid stamp appear?
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17629
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: Stamp Catalogue

Postby Muba » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:08 pm

steeljam wrote:I have decided what to do with the Lawyers' Guild stamps. Both sets will be renamed Lawyers' Guild.

However this is not the reason for my post.
I have a more pressing problem.

That nice chap Keith (Sailor Return) has kindly pointed out I have made an error.
I have recorded a Tobacco and Snuff Seven Ha'penny Duty Paid stamp as being issued on 1st August 2009 and being available in Journal 19.
I checked and Keith is right. I said he was a nice chap didn't I?

The stamp available in the journal was 7½p Duty Paid stamp.
So when and from where did the Tobacco and Snuff 7p (not 7½p) Duty Paid stamp appear?


This 7p stamp was issued in Nov 09 and only available with the Football Trading Cards available on Amazon
The Duty stamp from the tobacco wrapper was a 1d black on green and was issued in April 05. It also appered insome LBEs
The 7½p was specifically a hat duty stamp
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
User avatar
Muba
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:58 pm
Location: Llamedos

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest