Discworld

The Rarest of the Rare

General Stamp discussion.

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby Joolz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 02:48 pm

annebn wrote:As far as I can tell, a reserve can also preven a sale, if only one bidder is willing to pay the wanted price. it takes at least two to get it up there. I suppose as a buyer that gives me some kind of "protection" for paying too much more than anyone else would pay. But I still prefer a high starting price.
Happy to be corrected by anyone who knows ebay's programming better than me but I don't think that's how it works re reserve price bidding.

As long as the bidding remains below the reserve price (i.e. no bidders have bid above the reserve price) then the bidding goes up just like a normal ebay auction but with the reserve flagged as not met. But, as soon as one bidder bids above the reserve, then the bid price jumps straight up to the reserve and the reserve is flagged as met.

So, as an example, say an item starts at £10 and has a reserve at £100. Any number of bidders can make any number of bids below £100 and say the current bid price is showing at £50 and the highest bidder has actually bid £75 and the second bidder has bid £49. (I can't remember whether the bid increment is actually £1 at that price point but, just for the sake of the example, let's say it is.)

Then, the next bidder bids £200. This can be one of the previous bidders or a new bidder. At that point, the current bid price showing on the item would jump straight up to £100 and the reserve would be flagged as met. Bidding would then continue in the normal way above £100.

Equally, the first bid on the item could be the £100 (or any amount more than £100) and the bid price would jump straight up to £100 as the reserve would have been met by the first, and only at that point in time, bidder.

So, afaik, you don't need multiple bidders to complete an auction on a reserve price item. It could sell at its reserve price on the first and only bid.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Joolz
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 05:29 pm
Location: London

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Mon Sep 05, 2011 07:44 pm

Joolz wrote:
annebn wrote:As far as I can tell, a reserve can also preven a sale, if only one bidder is willing to pay the wanted price. it takes at least two to get it up there. I suppose as a buyer that gives me some kind of "protection" for paying too much more than anyone else would pay. But I still prefer a high starting price.
Happy to be corrected by anyone who knows ebay's programming better than me but I don't think that's how it works re reserve price bidding.

As long as the bidding remains below the reserve price (i.e. no bidders have bid above the reserve price) then the bidding goes up just like a normal ebay auction but with the reserve flagged as not met. But, as soon as one bidder bids above the reserve, then the bid price jumps straight up to the reserve and the reserve is flagged as met.

So, as an example, say an item starts at £10 and has a reserve at £100. Any number of bidders can make any number of bids below £100 and say the current bid price is showing at £50 and the highest bidder has actually bid £75 and the second bidder has bid £49. (I can't remember whether the bid increment is actually £1 at that price point but, just for the sake of the example, let's say it is.)

Then, the next bidder bids £200. This can be one of the previous bidders or a new bidder. At that point, the current bid price showing on the item would jump straight up to £100 and the reserve would be flagged as met. Bidding would then continue in the normal way above £100.

Equally, the first bid on the item could be the £100 (or any amount more than £100) and the bid price would jump straight up to £100 as the reserve would have been met by the first, and only at that point in time, bidder.

So, afaik, you don't need multiple bidders to complete an auction on a reserve price item. It could sell at its reserve price on the first and only bid.

Oook!

Yeah, that sounds right. But the beef I - and, I think, others at this forum - have is that it's rather misleading to have one starting bid price and another reserve price. It's not like those public auctions on TV where the auctioneer warms up the bidders by starting low and working his* way up to the reserve and above. There's definitely less sense of urgency and adrenaline when it's just you in front of a computer than if you were in a crowded room with other people who want the same item as you.

I remember one eb@y auction where I showed an interest in a Discworld sheet, and my bid didn't meet the reserve - and it made me very dis-inclined to keep bidding, since I didn't feel like playing a guessing game with the seller and the site!

Personally, I try to start all my lots with either the price I originally paid for the item myself, or a rough estimate of what the stamp's worth.


* My apology to all female auctioneers - these shows seem to always have male auctioneers, at least all the ones I've seen.
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Librarians Apprentice
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 06:41 am
Location: Israel

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby Joolz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 08:26 pm

Librarian's Apprentice wrote:Oook!

Yeah, that sounds right. But the beef I - and, I think, others at this forum - have is that it's rather misleading to have one starting bid price and another reserve price. It's not like those public auctions on TV where the auctioneer warms up the bidders by starting low and working his* way up to the reserve and above. There's definitely less sense of urgency and adrenaline when it's just you in front of a computer than if you were in a crowded room with other people who want the same item as you.

I remember one eb@y auction where I showed an interest in a Discworld sheet, and my bid didn't meet the reserve - and it made me very dis-inclined to keep bidding, since I didn't feel like playing a guessing game with the seller and the site!

Personally, I try to start all my lots with either the price I originally paid for the item myself, or a rough estimate of what the stamp's worth.


* My apology to all female auctioneers - these shows seem to always have male auctioneers, at least all the ones I've seen.
Well, I was only attempting to address Anne's very specific point not to comment on the wider questions of what auction structure re starting prices, reserves and other variables produces the most satisfactory outcome and whether such satisfaction is spread between seller, buyer (if any), unsuccessful bidders (if any), lurkers and ebay management or concentrated within one or other of these groups.

I think it was Steve who proposed above "a low entry point" and "a reasonable reserve" as a favourable option so I am sure he will comment on your beef (or possibly your counter-beef - I may have lost track).
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Joolz
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 05:29 pm
Location: London

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby Muba » Mon Sep 05, 2011 08:46 pm

Librarian's Apprentice wrote:I remember one eb@y auction where I showed an interest in a Discworld sheet, and my bid didn't meet the reserve - and it made me very dis-inclined to keep bidding, since I didn't feel like playing a guessing game with the seller and the site!


There may be other factors, but it all seems to depend on eith a) a low bid is put in in the hope of netting a bargain or b) the low bid is what you thought it was worth. One of the best strategies on eBay to ensure you don't get carried away is to bid what you are willing to pay and not ever going higher than that.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
User avatar
Muba
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:58 pm
Location: Llamedos

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby steeljam » Mon Sep 05, 2011 09:21 pm

Librarian's Apprentice wrote:I remember one eb@y auction where I showed an interest in a Discworld sheet, and my bid didn't meet the reserve - and it made me very dis-inclined to keep bidding, since I didn't feel like playing a guessing game with the seller and the site!
One thing your bid did was to flag your interest. A couple of times the same has happened to me where I was the highest bid but didn't reach the reserve.
In both cases I was contacted by the seller asking if I was interested on a second attempt basis; one at my highest bid amount and the other asked if we would split the difference. I agreed to both.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17652
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby archerinwood » Wed Sep 07, 2011 03:14 pm

Nice item, but a bit on the expensive side for me
I will be playing Thenardier at the Theatre royal in Margate, Kent from 24th July to 28th. If you are in the area at the time please click the link to get more info:
http://www.theatreroyalmargate.com/~the ... %2Fles-misérables

Thanks
User avatar
archerinwood
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 09:09 pm
Location: Leshp, somewhere under the sea

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Oook!

I just got a complete row of Festive Patrician stamps as a prize :thumbr: :D :bounce: :D :thumbl:

How many of those are there?
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Librarians Apprentice
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 06:41 am
Location: Israel

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby Joolz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:16 am

Librarian's Apprentice wrote:Oook!

I just got a complete row of Festive Patrician stamps as a prize :thumbr: :D :bounce: :D :thumbl:

How many of those are there?
I know that they gave these as the prize for the comp in the last journal (I tried to talk Reb into a sheet each but she was wise to my blandishments :lol: and wasn't having any of it :() as I was lucky enough to get one as well so at least as many as there were winners of that.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Joolz
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 05:29 pm
Location: London

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby Muba » Sun Mar 11, 2012 09:37 am

Joolz wrote:
Librarian's Apprentice wrote:Oook!

I just got a complete row of Festive Patrician stamps as a prize :thumbr: :D :bounce: :D :thumbl:

How many of those are there?
I know that they gave these as the prize for the comp in the last journal (I tried to talk Reb into a sheet each but she was wise to my blandishments :lol: and wasn't having any of it :() as I was lucky enough to get one as well so at least as many as there were winners of that.


Which competition was that, because I got a mention for both, but no prize.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
User avatar
Muba
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:58 pm
Location: Llamedos

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby jonty » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:27 am

Muba wrote:
Joolz wrote:
Librarian's Apprentice wrote:Oook!

I just got a complete row of Festive Patrician stamps as a prize :thumbr: :D :bounce: :D :thumbl:

How many of those are there?
I know that they gave these as the prize for the comp in the last journal (I tried to talk Reb into a sheet each but she was wise to my blandishments :lol: and wasn't having any of it :() as I was lucky enough to get one as well so at least as many as there were winners of that.


Which competition was that, because I got a mention for both, but no prize.


Got one also, thanks to Joolz who negotiated the prize last time he was down there :thumbr:
.Life is a sexually transmitted disease and there is a 100% mortality rate. ~R.D. Laing
User avatar
jonty
 
Posts: 2106
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 01:18 pm
Location: makem land

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby Muba » Sun Mar 11, 2012 04:32 pm

jonty wrote:
Muba wrote:
Joolz wrote:
Which competition was that, because I got a mention for both, but no prize.


Got one also, thanks to Joolz who negotiated the prize last time he was down there :thumbr:


I'll have to email Reb, 'cos it just ain't fair if everybody else got one but not me
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
User avatar
Muba
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:58 pm
Location: Llamedos

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby Joolz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 07:09 pm

jonty wrote:Got one also, thanks to Joolz who negotiated the prize last time he was down there :thumbr:
:lol: Well, "negotiated" flatters me (a lot)! I suggested something connected to the festive patricians and Reb decided on a joined strip of the five stamps. She brooks no negotiation, that girl!
Muba wrote:Which competition was that, because I got a mention for both, but no prize.
It was for the "LBE Packing" competition. I also got a mention for both that and the "Spot the Difference" competition but the latter was advertised as "first out of the bag gets a FREE LBE" and I just assumed that I wasn't as I didn't. :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Joolz
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 05:29 pm
Location: London

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby unohoo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 01:45 pm

SHE-RW0011-Aw Cunning Artificers Birthday Shield Only 1 thought to exist

Who has this sheet? Is it really only 1?
User avatar
unohoo
 
Posts: 8754
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:25 am
Location: Leicester

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby steeljam » Sun Dec 28, 2014 02:32 pm

unohoo wrote:SHE-RW0011-Aw Cunning Artificers Birthday Shield Only 1 thought to exist
Who has this sheet? Is it really only 1?
Not sure about this sheet id.
The sheet with 0011 is the Merchant 3p.
SHE-RW0055-Aw is the Forum First Birthday stamp. Which shows one sheet sold at auction at Wadfest 2006. Is this the sheet you mean?
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17652
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby unohoo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 03:02 pm

steeljam wrote:
unohoo wrote:SHE-RW0011-Aw Cunning Artificers Birthday Shield Only 1 thought to exist
Who has this sheet? Is it really only 1?
Not sure about this sheet id.
The sheet with 0011 is the Merchant 3p.
SHE-RW0055-Aw is the Forum First Birthday stamp. Which shows one sheet sold at auction at Wadfest 2006. Is this the sheet you mean?


No. I took the info from the first page of this thread. It's the Cunning Artificer Shield issued on Bernard's Birthday in 2006.
User avatar
unohoo
 
Posts: 8754
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:25 am
Location: Leicester

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest