Discworld

The Rarest of the Rare

General Stamp discussion.

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby archerinwood » Sun Feb 13, 2011 03:44 pm

Are all those stamps on the cover included?
I will be playing Thenardier at the Theatre royal in Margate, Kent from 24th July to 28th. If you are in the area at the time please click the link to get more info:
http://www.theatreroyalmargate.com/~the ... %2Fles-misérables

Thanks
archerinwood

Postby Muba » Sun Feb 13, 2011 05:49 pm

archerinwood wrote:Are all those stamps on the cover included?

No thats just wishful thinking. All those stamps are just a picture
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Skaven » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:Whilst this breaks my own guidelines there was also a strip of 3 put up for auction on the other place by Colin

on the other stamp forum or ebay?
New trades
Still got those pesky gaps to fill? See if I have what your looking for in My Stamp Trades
Missing that certain edge? Why not see if I can help you obtain it with My Corner Trades
Skaven

Postby Muba » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 am

Skaven wrote:
Murgatroyd wrote:Whilst this breaks my own guidelines there was also a strip of 3 put up for auction on the other place by Colin

ebay
read more here
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Skaven » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:22 am

Muba wrote:
Skaven wrote:

ebay
read more here

Ah ok, i took it that Murgatroyd was referring to a strip of 3 red nosed Patricians, not the festive three.
New trades
Still got those pesky gaps to fill? See if I have what your looking for in My Stamp Trades
Missing that certain edge? Why not see if I can help you obtain it with My Corner Trades
Skaven

Postby Joolz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:32 am

Skaven wrote:Ah ok, i took it that Murgatroyd was referring to a strip of 3 red nosed Patricians, not the festive three.
I think anyone reading Charles's email would have read it that way as referring to RNPs. :? Are we sure he wasn't? Or is there a telepathic connection between the Kingdom and the Principality that I was not previously aware of?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Joolz

Postby Murgatroyd » Mon Feb 14, 2011 01:28 am

I did mean the Red Nosed Patricians when I referred to the strip of three... sorry, I should have been more explicit. The other items that Muba linked to, whilst indeed rare and interesting were never collectively available for purchase or offered as prizes by the shop and therefore not included on the list.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby angels » Tue Feb 15, 2011 05:10 pm

I've heard of a rare stamp. The merchants guild $4. dont know how many there are though does that count? Its blue i think from when i last saw it. :bounce: :bounce:
I wanna live by the seaside!
angels

Postby archerinwood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 05:13 pm

Those were the days when three cost only £120. Now they are about that price each. D*mn you time. *shakes fist*
I will be playing Thenardier at the Theatre royal in Margate, Kent from 24th July to 28th. If you are in the area at the time please click the link to get more info:

Thanks
archerinwood

Postby Joolz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 07:05 pm

archerinwood wrote:Those were the days when three cost only £120. Now they are about that price each. D*mn you time. *shakes fist*
Getting very confused now. :?

The "three" which cost £120 were the Hogswatch triple of "design studies". There have never been any more sold again by the original seller afaik and I haven't seen any of the triples sold at that time come up for resale to establish a current value.

I can't recall what the strip of three red-nosed patricians sold for. In fact, I can't even remember that sale which possibly means that it went for so much and I would have liked to have it so much that I have banished it from my memory and blocked its very existence out completely. But, I'd hazard that it would have sold for a lot more than £120 and indeed probably for more than three times £120. Could be completely wrong though. Anyone have a record of what it actually did sell for?
Joolz

Postby Joolz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 07:07 pm

angels wrote:I've heard of a rare stamp. The merchants guild $4. dont know how many there are though does that count? Its blue i think from when i last saw it. :bounce: :bounce:
Merchants Guild $4?? :shock: What that?? Is it the really famously rare stamp of which there were none at all produced?
Joolz

Postby Skaven » Tue Feb 15, 2011 07:34 pm

I`d love a strip of the Hogswatch Three, but couldn`t justify paying the old price of £120 let alone todays market value.....
New trades
Skaven

Postby archerinwood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 07:37 pm

Joolz wrote:
archerinwood wrote:Those were the days when three cost only £120. Now they are about that price each. D*mn you time. *shakes fist*
Getting very confused now. :?

The "three" which cost £120 were the Hogswatch triple of "design studies". There have never been any more sold again by the original seller afaik and I haven't seen any of the triples sold at that time come up for resale to establish a current value.

I can't recall what the strip of three red-nosed patricians sold for. In fact, I can't even remember that sale which possibly means that it went for so much and I would have liked to have it so much that I have banished it from my memory and blocked its very existence out completely. But, I'd hazard that it would have sold for a lot more than £120 and indeed probably for more than three times £120. Could be completely wrong though. Anyone have a record of what it actually did sell for?

sorry I thought the strip was of RNP stamps that sold for £120

Thanks
archerinwood

Postby annebn » Tue Feb 15, 2011 07:44 pm

Joolz wrote:
angels wrote:I've heard of a rare stamp. The merchants guild $4. dont know how many there are though does that count? Its blue i think from when i last saw it. :bounce: :bounce:
Merchants Guild $4?? :shock: What that?? Is it the really famously rare stamp of which there were none at all produced?

I have a prototype Merchant guild 9p stamp, which was never released. Maybe the $4 is the same sort of thing?
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Muba » Tue Feb 15, 2011 08:15 pm

annebn wrote:
Joolz wrote:

I have a prototype Merchant guild 9p stamp, which was never released. Maybe the $4 is the same sort of thing?

I don't think so. The 9p afaik is a rejected design for the original Merchants series, sponsored by the Brassworkers. I think it may have been let loose in two colour versions. There was a 2p Locksmith and Bellmakers and a 6d Auctioneers and Valuers too. They were not printed up as stamps, and were imperforate. And they didn't originate from 41.
The $4 may be a different breed altogether, though it may be allied to the $5 stamp.
Muba

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps