Discworld

The Rarest of the Rare

General Stamp discussion.

Re: The Rarest of the Rare

Postby Skaven » Tue Feb 15, 2011 08:19 pm

Does anyone have any good scans of these other merchant designs? Would be nice to see them.
New trades
Still got those pesky gaps to fill? See if I have what your looking for in My Stamp Trades
Missing that certain edge? Why not see if I can help you obtain it with My Corner Trades
Skaven

Postby Muba » Tue Feb 15, 2011 08:20 pm

This pairing sold for £601 on the other place about 18 months ago
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby archerinwood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 08:22 pm

Muba wrote:This pairing sold for £601 on the other place about 18 months ago

WOW! they are awesome.The price obviously reflects this. :cry:
I will be playing Thenardier at the Theatre royal in Margate, Kent from 24th July to 28th. If you are in the area at the time please click the link to get more info:
http://www.theatreroyalmargate.com/~the ... %2Fles-misérables

Thanks
archerinwood

Postby Catch-up » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:48 pm

Skaven wrote:Does anyone have any good scans of these other merchant designs? Would be nice to see them.

I wasn't lucky enough to get any, but I did get a scan way back when. :D

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Muba » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 pm

Thats two more colours I haven't seen before
Thanks S
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby steeljam » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 am

I assume these are Colin's non-DW non-approved cinderellas.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Muba » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:13 am

steeljam wrote:I assume these are Colin's non-DW non-approved cinderellas.

Colin's fate is recorded here
Muba

Postby danjim » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:17 am

If they are from Colin then, as one of the designers, they may well be unapproved but they are certainly Discworld essays.

Daniel
danjim

Postby Catch-up » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:23 am

danjim wrote:

If they are from Colin then, as one of the designers, they may well be unapproved but they are certainly Discworld essays.

Daniel

So true! Those were fun days. :D You never knew what was going to turn up!
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Wed Feb 16, 2011 02:49 pm

Muba wrote:

Colin's fate is recorded here

:lol: It's always fun reading through those old threads. Once upon a time (and possibly still) people who were lucky enough to be able to drop into the shop were sometimes given some truly unique and generous gifts. They would post scans here, which was awesome because I LOVED seeing all these rare things! :D How wonderful of Colin to share with some of the further flung collectors the same generosity and fun! I just cannot express how fun this made things. The trading was fast and furious and the discussions of the stamps very passionate. Colin's auctions would always spark even more passion and interest in the stamps. Like I said, I wasn't lucky enough to get any of these (forgot to bid on the auctions and I'm still kicking myself for it :oops: :lol: ) but to still get a peek of a little piece of secret DW stamp history, from the original designers, is a huge treat. :D
Catch-up

Postby angels » Wed Feb 16, 2011 03:21 pm

Muba wrote:I don't think so. The 9p afaik is a rejected design for the original Merchants series, sponsored by the Brassworkers. I think it may have been let loose in two colour versions. There was a 2p Locksmith and Bellmakers and a 6d Auctioneers and Valuers too. They were not printed up as stamps, and were imperforate. And they didn't originate from 41.
The $4 may be a different breed altogether, though it may be allied to the $5 stamp.
[/quote]

The $4 merchants is related to the new $2 merchants with almost the same picture although it is blue and says $4. It is perforated as well i believe. :bounce: :bounce:
I wanna live by the seaside!
angels

Postby Joolz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 03:29 pm

angels wrote:The $4 merchants is related to the new $2 merchants with almost the same picture although it is blue and says $4. It is perforated as well i believe. :bounce: :bounce:
Aside from the $4 reference, that sounds rather like this which to me at least seems much bluer in the flesh than in the catalogue image (but that may be something to do with my screen or my eyes).
Joolz

Postby Skaven » Wed Feb 16, 2011 03:31 pm

Ian just confirmed he never made any such stamp nor mocked up a $4 Merchant. Maybe the value is wrong and it was the Civic
New trades
Still got those pesky gaps to fill? See if I have what your looking for in My Stamp Trades
Missing that certain edge? Why not see if I can help you obtain it with My Corner Trades
Skaven

Postby angels » Wed Feb 16, 2011 03:57 pm

Skaven wrote:Ian just confirmed he never made any such stamp nor mocked up a $4 Merchant. Maybe the value is wrong and it was the Civic

That could be it i get confused between the two and it has been a while since i saw it. I'll dig it out. :bounce: :bounce:

here we are... sorry for the poor image i dropped my printer a couple weeks back

I wanna live by the seaside!
angels

Postby Miss Tick » Wed Feb 16, 2011 05:13 pm

angels wrote:
Skaven wrote:Ian just confirmed he never made any such stamp nor mocked up a $4 Merchant. Maybe the value is wrong and it was the Civic

That could be it i get confused between the two and it has been a while since i saw it. I'll dig it out. :bounce: :bounce:

here we are... sorry for the poor image i dropped my printer a couple weeks back

Did that escape at the con??
"give me a task or I shall run mad"
Miss Tick

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps