Discworld

Crazy eBay ... Again!

General Stamp discussion.

Re: Crazy eBay ... Again!

Postby phalarope » Mon Feb 22, 2016 08:06 pm

Hello cascade - Always delighted to meet another member of the fancy. :D Especially to lure a long-time lurker out into the open. :lol:

You may be right about about the release; the catalogue says a pair was a prize in a NoTS LBE.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Darren » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:20 am

As I said above, the open door sport was never officially issued.

That said you are correct there are more than 2 (I have a joined pair of them), but they are certainly very rare. Quite possibly less than 10, but as they were only given out to people (aside from the prize ones that I think you have one of) we'll probably never know.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby steeljam » Mon Apr 11, 2016 02:43 pm

Anyone want an Emporium Receipt?
£1 postage!
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Apr 11, 2016 03:19 pm

steeljam wrote:Anyone want an Emporium Receipt?
£1 postage!
He's got quite a few receipts for sale the cheeky wossname
Grace Speaker

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Wed Apr 13, 2016 09:32 am

steeljam wrote:Anyone want an Emporium Receipt?
£1 postage!

Oook!

It gets even better for us in for'n parts - over £18 postage :twisted:
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Frank the Younger » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:08 am

Librarians Apprentice wrote:It gets even better for us in for'n parts - over £18 postage :twisted:

That is almost 3 times what it would cost.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby steeljam » Wed May 04, 2016 04:10 pm

Rather annoyed with this entry
The original stamps were sold for charity. This is for profit.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Joolz » Thu May 05, 2016 09:21 am

steeljam wrote:Rather annoyed with this entry
There have been a lot of red nose patricians sold on ebay over the years though. I only started collecting the stamps at the beginning of 2006 and so I wasn't around when they were first issued for Comic Relief in 2005 and ended up buying mine on ebay in 2007 from the long-gone stampscat of this parish for what ended up as quite a lot of profit for him as it was presumably (it's far too long ago for me to remember the details) a highly competitive auction. I haven't kept count but a good proportion of the original 98 rnps must have been resold by now but there have been fairly regular listings of them on ebay across over ten years now and I don't recall many, if any, of them being for overtly charitable purposes.
Joolz

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu May 05, 2016 11:20 am

Joolz wrote:
There have been a lot of red nose patricians sold on ebay over the years though. I only started collecting the stamps at the beginning of 2006 and so I wasn't around when they were first issued for Comic Relief in 2005 and ended up buying mine on ebay in 2007 from the long-gone stampscat of this parish for what ended up as quite a lot of profit for him as it was presumably (it's far too long ago for me to remember the details) a highly competitive auction. I haven't kept count but a good proportion of the original 98 rnps must have been resold by now but there have been fairly regular listings of them on ebay across over ten years now and I don't recall many, if any, of them being for overtly charitable purposes.

I've seen a fair few red-noses up for auction on eBay, but sadly been outbid :( I can see this pair going for a pretty penny as it's a tete-beche and signed by the esteemed Mr Pearson. It's already up to £31 and there's still two and a half days to run on the auction - let's hope the seller makes a donation to Comic Relief with the proceeds :wink:
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu May 05, 2016 11:31 am

Joolz wrote:

OK - I think Steve might have a point with this one: just spotted that at £31, they are coming up as "Reserve not met" yet :shock: ____ing hell (to quote Mr Tulip), that's gonna be a lot of money for 2 small bits of sticky paper! I wonder what the reserve actually is ?
Grace Speaker

Postby Joolz » Thu May 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:OK - I think Steve might have a point with this one: just spotted that at £31, they are coming up as "Reserve not met" yet :shock: ____ing hell (to quote Mr Tulip), that's gonna be a lot of money for 2 small bits of sticky paper! I wonder what the reserve actually is ?
I didn't say what I paid for mine back in 2007 out of the pain of remembering (or rather of looking it up on my Discworld stamp expenditure spreadsheet which is a truly disturbing document never to be shared with my wife).

But it was £85 and iirc that wasn't a particularly "crazy eBay" sort of price to pay at that time of the early enthusiasm and high demand for the stamps in general and the rare ones in particular.

Of course, this pair could go a lot higher than £85 and I've no idea what the reserve is.
Joolz

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu May 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Joolz wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:OK - I think Steve might have a point with this one: just spotted that at £31, they are coming up as "Reserve not met" yet :shock: ____ing hell (to quote Mr Tulip), that's gonna be a lot of money for 2 small bits of sticky paper! I wonder what the reserve actually is ?
I didn't say what I paid for mine back in 2007 out of the pain of remembering (or rather of looking it up on my Discworld stamp expenditure spreadsheet which is a truly disturbing document never to be shared with my wife).

But it was £85 and iirc that wasn't a particularly "crazy eBay" sort of price to pay at that time of the early enthusiasm and high demand for the stamps in general and the rare ones in particular.

Of course, this pair could go a lot higher than £85 and I've no idea what the reserve is.
Ouch!! That's some serious mullah! Oh well, unless I win the lottery, I don't think I'm destined to own a Red-nose Patrician! :( I've never seen a signed tete-beche pair before, so I will be watching with interest to see what they go for . . .

Just seen that the seller also has a joined pair of green Susan Sto Hellits with a start price of £250 or a BIN of £350! :shock:
Grace Speaker

Postby Murgatroyd » Thu May 05, 2016 12:59 pm

I think I payed about £85 for my Red nose Patrician in 2010 and I considered it a fairly good deal. :?
Whilst it was a charity issue, once those stamps pass into general circulation they inevitably acquire a value based on their scarcity and the demand for them by newer collectors. I can't see any way round this, unless those individuals who choose to sell theirs decide it would be appropriate to donate a tithe of their profits on the deal to the charity concerned... :?:
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby phalarope » Thu May 05, 2016 01:21 pm

Joolz wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, that file shall never be shared with Mate, although he has a fairly good idea of what I've spent on DW stamps over the years. :oops: :oops: He funds my LBE subscription(s) as my annual b-day prezzie. :sunny:

I believe I bought mine directly from another collector active on the Forum at the time, and paid £100. It was one of the few holes in my Penny Patrician collection at the time, and I had already been dinged by the tradithional philatelic community for daring to enter an exhibit with a well-identified scanned image to show what I was missing. :roll: :roll: Ha! Let them try that now. :P
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Muba » Thu May 05, 2016 05:20 pm

A full sheet of Red-nosed Hares sold for over £200. A Gaspode sheet went for a more modest £34 but thats three times the original price (I think). Both were charity issues.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps