Discworld

Crazy eBay ... Again!

General Stamp discussion.

Re: Crazy eBay ... Again!

Postby danjim » Fri May 06, 2016 03:47 am

steeljam wrote:Rather annoyed with this entry
The original stamps were sold for charity. This is for profit.

Someone selling on ebay for a profit? Who would have thought? :D

But seriously, after 10 years, every charity in the world would have considered that particular fundraiser as 'done and dusted'. We are clearly into secondary market territory here.

Daniel
danjim

Postby danjim » Fri May 06, 2016 03:51 am

Grace Speaker wrote:
Joolz wrote:
There have been a lot of red nose patricians sold on ebay over the years though. I only started collecting the stamps at the beginning of 2006 and so I wasn't around when they were first issued for Comic Relief in 2005 and ended up buying mine on ebay in 2007 from the long-gone stampscat of this parish for what ended up as quite a lot of profit for him as it was presumably (it's far too long ago for me to remember the details) a highly competitive auction. I haven't kept count but a good proportion of the original 98 rnps must have been resold by now but there have been fairly regular listings of them on ebay across over ten years now and I don't recall many, if any, of them being for overtly charitable purposes.

I've seen a fair few red-noses up for auction on eBay, but sadly been outbid :( I can see this pair going for a pretty penny as it's a tete-beche and signed by the esteemed Mr Pearson. It's already up to £31 and there's still two and a half days to run on the auction - let's hope the seller makes a donation to Comic Relief with the proceeds :wink:

Just to make a correction here, the stamps are signed by the designer, Colin Edwards, not Bernard.

Daniel
danjim

Postby danjim » Fri May 06, 2016 04:06 am

Grace Speaker wrote:
Joolz wrote:
There have been a lot of red nose patricians sold on ebay over the years though. I only started collecting the stamps at the beginning of 2006 and so I wasn't around when they were first issued for Comic Relief in 2005 and ended up buying mine on ebay in 2007 from the long-gone stampscat of this parish for what ended up as quite a lot of profit for him as it was presumably (it's far too long ago for me to remember the details) a highly competitive auction. I haven't kept count but a good proportion of the original 98 rnps must have been resold by now but there have been fairly regular listings of them on ebay across over ten years now and I don't recall many, if any, of them being for overtly charitable purposes.

OK - I think Steve might have a point with this one: just spotted that at £31, they are coming up as "Reserve not met" yet :shock: ____ing hell (to quote Mr Tulip), that's gonna be a lot of money for 2 small bits of sticky paper! I wonder what the reserve actually is ?

In your previous post you seem to accept that they will sell for 'a pretty penny' so you seem to be contradicting yourself here just because they have a reserve.

As for your suggestion that they are only '2 small bits of sticky paper' that should be sufficient to have you drummed out of the forum :lol:
danjim

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri May 06, 2016 09:22 am

danjim wrote:As for your suggestion that they are only '2 small bits of sticky paper' that should be sufficient to have you drummed out of the forum :lol:
I'll have you know that we are all extremely fond of our little bits of sticky paper on this forum! Well we ought to be, they've cost us a [small/medium/large/grounds for divorce]* fortune over the years!

* delete as appropriate
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Fri Jun 03, 2016 08:22 am

Oook!

Just wanted to have a little rant about Ebay buyers in general:

I sell mostly out-of-circulation stamps and papaery odds-and-ends - but my biggest sellers are invariably THE SPORTS THAT ARE STILL IN CIRCULATION!

Seriously, in previous sales people have ignored RETIRED Blue Triangles in favor of those that still might be found in future LBEs. In this last sale I the River Gate BT (2013/2014) & the Patrician's Palace BT (2015/now) and got one bid for each - you'd think there would be more than one Flatalist out there missing the River Gate :?

Still, Triangles are rare, so the "bird in hand" attitude is understandable(ish). But buyers have bid for things like current (not retired, but CURRENT) Penny Patrician sports in sums higher than the whole, STILL AVAILABLE FROM THE EMPORIUM, sheet sells for! :shock:

And the real kick-in-the-head is the knowledge that once the Eporium stops selling them, no-one will want them :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :roll:
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Joolz » Fri Jun 03, 2016 06:27 pm

Librarians Apprentice wrote:Oook!

Just wanted to have a little rant about Ebay buyers in general:

I sell mostly out-of-circulation stamps and papaery odds-and-ends - but my biggest sellers are invariably THE SPORTS THAT ARE STILL IN CIRCULATION!

Seriously, in previous sales people have ignored RETIRED Blue Triangles in favor of those that still might be found in future LBEs. In this last sale I the River Gate BT (2013/2014) & the Patrician's Palace BT (2015/now) and got one bid for each - you'd think there would be more than one Flatalist out there missing the River Gate :?

Still, Triangles are rare, so the "bird in hand" attitude is understandable(ish). But buyers have bid for things like current (not retired, but CURRENT) Penny Patrician sports in sums higher than the whole, STILL AVAILABLE FROM THE EMPORIUM, sheet sells for! :shock:

And the real kick-in-the-head is the knowledge that once the Eporium stops selling them, no-one will want them :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :roll:
As it happens, I was the buyer of the River Gate BT. :)

I was surprised that it was receiving no other bids and it had the opposite selvage to the single River Gate BT I already have and that is quite nice to have for display purposes in my album. I have both selvage variants for some other triangles and they look very good together. If the bidding had been competitive, I wouldn't tbh have chased it up, maybe one more bid. It's a nice-to-have not a must-have.

I probably would have bid on the Patrician's Palace BT maybe once if it had also had the opposite selvage to the single Patrician's Palace BT I already have but it was the same selvage as that one so it wasn't of interest to me. Even though it is a current sport, I'm not sure how much longer it will be around (another six months maybe?) and I'm not buying many LBEs anymore so the likelihood of me finding another is quite low. Given the number of LBEs I bought even when I was buying regularly, the likelihood of me finding one was quite low and finding two very low. I got several of the ones I have through trades and ebay.
Joolz

Postby Muba » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:17 pm

Its not DW, and probably Crazy Collectors, but this error on eBay gave me a chuckle.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby phalarope » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:43 am

Muba wrote:Its not DW, and probably Crazy Collectors, but this error on eBay gave me a chuckle.

Yep, Crazy Collectors. The EFO* philatelists are nuts.

*EFO = Errors, Freaks, and Oddities. :wink: It's a real philatelic term.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 09:43 am

phalarope wrote:
Muba wrote:Its not DW, and probably Crazy Collectors, but this error on eBay gave me a chuckle.

:lol:
You'll be giving Ian ideas . . .
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:05 pm

phalarope wrote:

Yep, Crazy Collectors. The EFO philatelists are nuts.
I liked their music :D
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Fri Sep 23, 2016 01:22 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
phalarope wrote:

:lol:
You'll be giving Ian ideas . . .

Wellllll......... it's the basis behind the idea of sports, however, I'm all about giving Ian ideas. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
He's got errors covered quite well. Freaks and oddities could use some attention.... 8)

Egregious Flying Object (Nanny Ogg)
Enthusiastic Flatelist Operator (Stanley Howler)
Enigmatic Forn Oysternator (phalarope)
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 04:13 pm

phalarope wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:You'll be giving Ian ideas . . .

Wellllll......... it's the basis behind the idea of sports, however, I'm all about giving Ian ideas. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
He's got errors covered quite well. Freaks and oddities could use some attention.... 8)

Are you sure the Freaks and Oddities sections aren't covered by us lot? :wink: :lol: After all, it's far more fun than being nice and normal . . . plus you tend to get a seat to yourself on the bus :twisted:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Fri Sep 23, 2016 08:47 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
phalarope wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:You'll be giving Ian ideas . . .

Are you sure the Freaks and Oddities sections aren't covered by us lot? :wink: :lol: After all, it's far more fun than being nice and normal . . . plus you tend to get a seat to yourself on the bus :twisted:

There's no stamps for us, except for the Initial Patricians of some years back. Perhaps we should start a poll: are you a Freak, or would you prefer to be considered an Oddity? :P
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Nov 26, 2016 06:07 pm

Not sure if these prices qualify as 'crazy' or not (they're out of my price range, so they do to me :wink: ), but if you have A LOT of spare pocket money handy, you might be interested in some of these lovely items:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?ul_noapp=true&_ssn=robpro17&item=262734542760&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=discworld&_sop=10
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Sun Nov 27, 2016 09:23 am

Oook!

Patrician Place sport for 600 Pounds - all I can say is, I applaud the seller's optimism :shock:

My prices are much more reasonable (even if I don't have any Triangle sports) :wink:
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps