Discworld

EBAY

General Stamp discussion.

EBAY

Postby chrisdibbler » Mon Feb 14, 2005 07:48 am

If we want to stop prices being so high on ebay then show no interest.

Bernard is right, if the bulk of collectors/philis swap and trade via the journal or on here then ebay prices would fall.

Strikes me that the 30 people who subscribed to this forum in the last 2 days are enthusiasts from the posts that are written

LONG LIVE THE DISCWORLD PHILATELIST GUILD
chrisdibbler

Postby unohoo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 08:25 am

Nice thought, and I am attempting to swap and trade but with no luck so far. It will get the stage, like it has with some collectors, where I have to list on ebay to get some money back to buy more, and to move on the growing pile of duplicates.
unohoo

Postby Mooresey » Mon Feb 14, 2005 08:38 am

This is true we all need money to pay for new stamps, I wish I had a bottomless pit of money, but we all need to get it from some where. Selling dupes is possible the only way to do it and keep the house from bursting out with stamps.
Mooresey

Postby xxmaxiexx » Mon Feb 14, 2005 08:58 am

If it wasn't selling on ebay then I would never be able to buy more
I have 3 kids to feed and this addiction to stamps at the same time
The only problem I have with ebay is the ones who are selling the stamps but are not collecting them
Selling for pure profit
I just selling to gain more money to buy
I perosnally like Ebay And I don't just sell my stamps on there I sell all my junk just to lazy to go and do a car boot sale :)
xxmaxiexx

Postby Rammie » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:52 am

I am trying to trade too, but all you get from collectors is "I can get a better deal on eBay" so I may resort to selling there. As you can read from my post about a Gris, nobody is interested in a trade.

Mind you I have already helped people out with a skunk stamp, a dreadful on envelope and a complete set of TOA stamps, so I like to think that I am doing my bit :wink:
Rammie

Postby unohoo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:06 pm

Wasn't say I wouldn't trade. At the moment I don have the spare to trade.

And the ebay comment was just to make the over inflated prices point again.
unohoo

Postby Rammie » Mon Feb 14, 2005 01:08 pm

The comments weren't aimed at you as such Pete, but most e-mails received have pretty much been along the same theme as your post.

If people are only going to do swaps based on ebay values, rather than helping out fellow collectors then I really don't see trading and swapping ever getting off the ground :?
Rammie

Postby Bonsai » Mon Feb 14, 2005 02:29 pm

Theres only one way to stop profiteering on ebay and that is if everyone is limited to one of what ever, im sure it would'nt completely stop it but it would help to give more people a chance
Bonsai

Postby unohoo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 02:31 pm

The problem arises when collectors start saying, I have e.g. an Eminence Gris and need a e.g. Unused Dreadful, theny they sell the Dreadful you swap with them.
unohoo

Postby Bonsai » Mon Feb 14, 2005 02:36 pm

thats very true but if you find out that thats what theyve done then pass on there details to everyone else so they can avoid doing swaps with them.
Bonsai

Postby xxmaxiexx » Mon Feb 14, 2005 02:38 pm

what about collectors that missed out on the Thrup'ny dreadful on envelopes because their servers aint that fast least Ebay gives them a second chance
its up to the collector then if he missed his/her chance to buy from this site to complete their collection
As with the Hogwatch First day cover well there was something to have by buying more i.e the thrup'ny dreadful unused I know if I had found one in the first day cover I wouldn't of needed to buy more brown envelopes
Then there is the issue of the normal machien cut stamps that no one wants to swap what do you do with them?
As for the watherstones first day cover I had to buy mine on Ebay as My local waterstones did'nt have any left
I paid nearly £20 for something which came free with the book but I wanted it to go with my set so I paid the price
xxmaxiexx

Postby Bonsai » Mon Feb 14, 2005 02:46 pm

What you say is very true and very valid, it think this topic is going to be one that is debated for a very long time with lots of ideas and suggestions, all i can say is if you can swap and you know its going to be an honest swap then go for it but if your desperate enough to pay ebay prices then do that, at the end of the day you can only pay what your willing to be able to pay. If you wait long enough a bargain will eventually show itself. Im still hopeing to get the elusive 1st edition of Colour of Magic cheap, it will happen one day, just like i got a 1st of Carpet people for £8.00
Bonsai

Postby Mooresey » Mon Feb 14, 2005 02:46 pm

Thats true I had to buy mine off ebay cost me about £18 cus I couldn't get there, I was working. There are always pros and cons.
Mooresey

Postby Rammie » Mon Feb 14, 2005 02:47 pm

I think the point I was trying to make, and several others too is that if we were helping each other then we could all probably increase all our collections without having to spend so much, or resort to ebay

Incidentally there is no chance of a swapped Dreadful ending up on ebay is someone does trade with me :wink:
Rammie

Postby xxmaxiexx » Mon Feb 14, 2005 02:49 pm

well rammie if I get a dreadful unused in my next lot of envelopes which I will be buying tomoz when the new stamps come out I will swap with you
Damn I was to busy in here forgot bout auction and missed the book :(
xxmaxiexx

Next

Return to The Stamps