Discworld

EBAY

General Stamp discussion.

Postby unohoo » Mon Feb 14, 2005 04:27 pm

Fair enough. It was the "The Covers with the Assassin's Stamp " that threw me.
unohoo

Postby Kiyomi » Mon Feb 14, 2005 05:31 pm

I don't believe there was an American First day cover, we don't have a Watersons here that I know of, and I'm a fairly rampant bibliophile as the 6 bookcases in my dining room alone will attest. There were some signed first editions but frankly our cover was a lot less interesting than the UK release so I broke down and ordered one from overseas and had a little less money for the little brown envelopes.
Kiyomi

Re: ebay

Postby Rammie » Mon Feb 14, 2005 05:45 pm

nevermind wrote:
If in 6 months or a year, the collector wants to sell them out of need or their interest has moved on then I'm cool with that

But to buy to quickly resell is not playing the game

Paul

Relieved to hear that, as I am considering selling my Skunk stamp to raise some much needed cash, but don't want people thinking I am buying to sell on.
Last edited by Rammie on Mon Feb 14, 2005 06:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rammie

Postby Kiyomi » Mon Feb 14, 2005 06:07 pm

It just occured to me that I should clarify a bit on the USA book market since I appear to be the only person on the boards from there at the moment. We have Borders and Barnes and Nobles. Almost every single bookstore that sells new books is owned by one of those chains even if the name on the store says something like Doubleday. There are some small speciallity stores that sell new books geared toward specific buyers and several used and rare bookstores, but those are the only two major players in the new book business. We used to B Daltons and Doubleday and a ton of other new book chains but they've all been bought out by those giants. There is one chain of clearnce bookstores that sell other stores overstocks but they aren't very exciting and for the life of me I can't remember their name.
Kiyomi

Re: ebay

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 14, 2005 07:27 pm

Paul[/quote]

Relieved to hear that, as I am considering selling my Skunk stamp to raise some much needed cash, but don't want people thinking I am buying to sell on.[/quote]

Any ideas on price? Its the only stamp i dont have :(
thedude

Postby Addicted » Mon Feb 14, 2005 07:38 pm

What is this skunk stamp?? I've heard people mention it a few times and I have no idea what it is!!! There was me thinking I was involved in all this stamp collecting from day 1!!!
Addicted

Postby Rammie » Mon Feb 14, 2005 08:19 pm

The skunk stamp was a special Cabbage Green stamp produced for the last Wincanton event. Basically it's a Cabbage Green stamp that is supposed to have cabbage flavoured gum on the back. Whether this is true or not I do not know, but it stinks to high heaven and was sold in a small glass jar. It is tagged up by the City Watch Forensic department, and comes with an occompanying little booklet. Only 20 were produced!!

I have no idea as to its value, as one has never been seen on the secondary market. I don't want to put it on ebay, and would rather see what people think here first. Anyone who wanted to make an offer that included an un-used Dreadful, and some cash would be listened to most enthusiastically :D

I could take a picture of it, but I don't have the ability to post pictures on the web
Rammie

THE CABBAGE GREEN (Skunk Special)

Postby Bernard the Stout » Wed Feb 16, 2005 09:59 pm

The dreaded Cabbage Green.
Yes there were 20 at the last gathering, but that was only because I got 20 stamps from Terry; for it was he who made them smell in a ‘cabbageorium’ of his own invention.
The smell got so bad that he sent Rob Wilkins into the shed to bottle them. I drove back to Wincanton with the things stinking out the car, and then sealed the jars.
I’ll post a photograph soon.
Once again it was a ‘good’ idea from TP that set this all in motion. Hence all the artwork which he designed and I produced.
But remember, this was the Hogswatch event in December, and we were rushed off our feet, elbows, and other parts.
I STILL HAVE 17
We can’t sell them, because we charged £10 last time, and if I put them up on the site they will sell in nanno seconds, and everyone who doesn’t get one will be truly peed-off.
If we put vouchers in the LBE’s some poor sod in Kansas or Nairobi would wonder what the hell it was all about, and probably throw away the ticket.
So here is a poll question.
Would it be fair to have a free competition, and I mean a real one, one that would require a good working knowledge of ‘Going Postal’.
And then we pick (or someone does) the first 17 correct answers out of a box containing all the entries that had been received in say over a two-week period.
The question, or questions, would be posted on this forum, as would the winners of course.
All answers would have to be mailed, I think on a post card.
I don’t know of any fairer way.
If you can think of one, enter it in the poll.
Over to you lot,
Last edited by Bernard the Stout on Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernard the Stout
Cunning Artificer

Postby nevermind » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:01 pm

Why not......... sounds like a bit of fun

The problem is how do you stick the jar in an album
nevermind

Postby Cara » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:01 pm

That sounds like a cunning plan to me Bernard.
Cara

Postby nevermind » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:12 pm

Hi Bernard

Just to clarify a point

Once somebody wins the Stamp in a Jar ( shades of Sword in the Stone ) They are actually winning the opportunity to buy it for £10 plus P&P or are you being a total philatelist.

I'm very mindful that you have pipe tobacco and gin to buy
nevermind

Postby xxmaxiexx » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:25 pm

ooooooo another comp sounds good to me I would enter
xxmaxiexx

Postby Bernard the Stout » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:27 pm

nevermind wrote:Hi Bernard

Just to clarify a point

Once somebody wins the Stamp in a Jar ( shades of Sword in the Stone ) They are actually winning the opportunity to buy it for £10 plus P&P or are you being a total philatelist.

I'm very mindful that you have pipe tobacco and gin to buy

No, completly FREE, cos your'e all so luverly ...
Bernard the Stout
Cunning Artificer

Postby Rammie » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:37 pm

Sounds absolutely fair to me. Another Cunning plan :D
Rammie

Postby unohoo » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:18 pm

As long as those that bought them are not excluded from the chance to win one, seems completely fair.
Last edited by unohoo on Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unohoo

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps