Discworld

Suggestion for Bernard and Isobel

General Stamp discussion.

Suggestion for Bernard and Isobel

Postby nevermind » Mon Feb 14, 2005 01:12 pm

Hi All

There is a danger in making suggestions that will eventually cost money but here goes

I really like the letters and the first day covers as I think they give size to the stamps and it also gives my sausage like fingers something to handle.

A couple of suggestions

Postcards......... the wish you were here type of thing with the big fat lady and the little bloke....... or views of Ankh-Morpork. The Broken Drum on fire , Chalk outline in the shades etc........ possibilities are endless

All with a nice message on the back and a beautiful stamp

In The Truth, William de Worde wrote letters for Dwarfs to send back home ( fill in your name etc) and updates of news for all that would pay for them

Nothing changes .... I would pay for them today.

Anyway, provided they don't get bought just to end up on ebay ...... I would like to see and buy them.

Finally

Anybody who buys limited editions just to resell on ebay should be stopped from buying future items..... but that is another rant for another day

Anymore suggestions

Paul
nevermind

Postby Mooresey » Mon Feb 14, 2005 01:40 pm

All sound like a good idea to me, I always love those skinny bloke, fat lady postcards always make me laugh. Also anther point, how many Journals have been sold? If you are going to give away limited edition items with them, there must be a limit on how many are sold or is it going to be on a first come fist served basis?
Mooresey

Re: Suggestion for Bernard and Isobel

Postby Buckjump » Mon Feb 14, 2005 01:56 pm

All of these are excellent suggestions - anything that feels like a genuine Discworld artifact, like it could actually exist on the Discworld, is a winner, and all of your suggestions fit that criteria perfectly. The postcard idea is particularly good, as collectors get a stamp, a piece of artwork, and no doubt amusing text to read as well.

Other suggestions:

Hopelessly charred envelopes from the Guild of Alchemists? (or stamps printed with gold leaf, if they've finally cracked it!)

Invisible stamps on envelopes from Unseen University (I suspect the wizards would have some sort of arrangement similar to their approach to taxes, where they'd refuse to have to buy stamps for all their outgoing mail, and the authorities would be happy with this as long as there is some sort of notional attempt towards recognising the need for stamps and payment, thus 'invisible stamps' or something like this).

The children of Ankh-Morpork's letters to the Hogfather (with next year's Hogswatch stamp attached), decorated with sweet and ingratiating childish pictures of pigs, etc.

I'm sure more ideas will come to me...

nevermind wrote:Anybody who buys limited editions just to resell on ebay should be stopped from buying future items..... but that is another rant for another day

For the last limited edition (the thrup'ny dreadful on an envelope), Bernard&co. limited purchases to one per person, which neatly solved the problem of people buying in bulk, and reselling. I assume this will happen in the future for other products that are scarce.
Buckjump

Postby chrisdibbler » Mon Feb 14, 2005 03:23 pm

Oh my GOD what the hell are ya doing suggesting another way for my money to all end up in bernards bank account

lol

why dont we have email as clacks!!!!!
chrisdibbler

Re: Suggestion for Bernard and Isobel

Postby Bernard the Stout » Mon Feb 14, 2005 07:34 pm

nevermind wrote:Hi All

There is a danger in making suggestions that will eventually cost money but here goes

I really like the letters and the first day covers as I think they give size to the stamps and it also gives my sausage like fingers something to handle.

A couple of suggestions

Postcards......... the wish you were here type of thing with the big fat lady and the little bloke....... or views of Ankh-Morpork. The Broken Drum on fire , Chalk outline in the shades etc........ possibilities are endless

All with a nice message on the back and a beautiful stamp

In The Truth, William de Worde wrote letters for Dwarfs to send back home ( fill in your name etc) and updates of news for all that would pay for them

Nothing changes .... I would pay for them today.

Anyway, provided they don't get bought just to end up on ebay ...... I would like to see and buy them.

Finally

Anybody who buys limited editions just to resell on ebay should be stopped from buying future items..... but that is another rant for another day

Anymore suggestions

Paul

You are not just a man of taste, but show fiscal acumen, and style. Or you are possibly a ruddy mind reader, or you have looked in my bottom drawer.
Post cards, very much as you describe will be on sale in April to coincide with the Spring Gathering. Now if YOU e-mail Granny Isobel, she being organised will put one (or three) by for you because you have been so clever.

As to the vexed e-blay question, we are giving a lot of thought to a possible solution, or a solution in part, but we need to think it through a bit, and talk with our resident philatelist, the reverend Stuart Wrighton, before we make any announcement.
Bernard the Stout
Cunning Artificer

Postby Bernard the Stout » Mon Feb 14, 2005 08:11 pm

[quote="chrisdibbler"]Oh my GOD what the hell are ya doing suggesting another way for my money to all end up in bernards bank account
Now, now, think positively.
It says in one of the great Holy Books that ‘it is easier for a fat man to pass up a third helping of slumpy than it is for a rich man to enter the Selestial Realms.
So just look upon it as though I’m giving you the opportunity of heaven, and taking the burden of your wealth upon mine own poor and unworthy shoulders.
I did once mention this to Terry, who threw a shoe at me, and said with his sort of wealth, nothing was impossible.
Bernard the Stout
Cunning Artificer

Postby chrisdibbler » Mon Feb 14, 2005 08:14 pm

Thanks bernard

I shall remember that when im on the streets with nothing to my name but my 21 discworld books and my stamp albums.

At least I be happy I suppose
chrisdibbler

Postby Kiyomi » Mon Feb 14, 2005 08:21 pm

Bernard the Stout wrote:Now, now, think positively.
It says in one of the great Holy Books that ‘it is easier for a fat man to pass up a third helping of slumpy than it is for a rich man to enter the Selestial Realms.
So just look upon it as though I’m giving you the opportunity of heaven, and taking the burden of your wealth upon mine own poor and unworthy shoulders.
I did once mention this to Terry, who threw a shoe at me, and said with his sort of wealth, nothing was impossible.

Have you ever thought of going on the stage? Anyone who can say that with a straight face would be a fabulous actor :wink:

But in all seriousness I am having tons of fun with the things you make, my only regret is living too far to visit your shop! Tell Isobel thanks for me, I know it's a pain posting international mail ::looks sheepishly at package in corner for friend in UK:: and I appriciate the effort!
Kiyomi

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 14, 2005 09:37 pm

Bernard the Stout wrote:
chrisdibbler wrote:Oh my GOD what the hell are ya doing suggesting another way for my money to all end up in bernards bank account
Now, now, think positively.

What a noble fellow you are Bernard to take on the burden of my wealth :lol:
thedude

Postby Addicted » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:45 pm

If it's a burden to take on my wealth then I'm guessing it'd be a relief to you to take on some of my debts? :lol:
Addicted

Postcards

Postby rentawitch » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:05 pm

I really like the postcards idea.

Fields of cabbages - sto-lat
Sand Dunes - Klatch or Djellibeybi
Lancre - rocky cliffs
Uberwald - Woves howling at the moon - or are they wolves?

Should these be photographs or drawings by the chaps who do the calendars?
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

Postby Kiyomi » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:11 pm

You know I really shouldn't do this at work without my books to check spelling, but how about the Agatean Empire? I mean does anyone really think a society that produced Two Flowers would forgo the excitment of their own stamps to collect? Personally I'd love to see one of the 'army' Rincewind 'commanded'
Kiyomi

Postby Addicted » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:23 pm

The possibilties are endless!! There could be stamps for:

Forecks, Agatean Empire, Sto-lat, Djellibabi, Lancre, Uberwald, The Ramtops, Llamedos, Krull, Holywood, Omnia, Genua, Leshp (would need to be waterproof), Tsort, Cori Celesti (The gods might want their own stamps?!?)...

I think that Discworld stamps could go on forever!!
Addicted

Postby Kiyomi » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:26 pm

I think Cori Celest ones would be great! I would be particularly interested in 'The Lady' stamp, would it be all green with a pair of dice, totally blank except for the 'The Lady'? And of course these are gods so the text would almost have to be in gold :D
Kiyomi

Postby Addicted » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:42 pm

Just started a new thread 'Ideas for new stamps' - probably best to carry on this discussion about new stamps there as this might be a pretty huge thread otherwise!
Addicted

Return to The Stamps