Discworld

Dead Letter

General Stamp discussion.

Dead Letter

Postby Murgatroyd » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:14 am

I've just opened my Uberwald LBE's and one contained a lovely new stamp, (Well, new to me anyway). The stamp is square and predominately black in colour, with the skull and crossed bones in white, and other details in beige, printed on white paper. The skull appears to be wearing a postman's cap, on which the letters AMPO can be seen. Above the cap there' a folded letter. Below the skull the letters DL appear vertically descending followed by the letters A-M horizontally. Below the skull there's an hourglass. Along each of the edges of the stamp the words "Dead Letter" are printed. My one came with a piece of selvage, with one part of printed legend... I got "Y OVER ANY VALID POSTA". Doubtless others have other copies of this stamp with other pieces of the selvage legend... Please could you add your pieces if you get any?
Perhaps we might be told a little more about this wonderful stamp? Anything with a skull and crossed bones gets my vote!
Thanks for this lovely little bonus!
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Re: Dead Letter

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:39 am

Murgatroyd wrote:I've just opened my Uberwald LBE's and one contained a lovely new stamp, (Well, new to me anyway). The stamp is square and predominately black in colour, with the skull and crossed bones in white, and other details in beige, printed on white paper. The skull appears to be wearing a postman's cap, on which the letters AMPO can be seen. Above the cap there' a folded letter. Below the skull the letters DL appear vertically descending followed by the letters A-M horizontally. Below the skull there's an hourglass. Along each of the edges of the stamp the words "Dead Letter" are printed. My one came with a piece of selvage, with one part of printed legend... I got "Y OVER ANY VALID POSTA". Doubtless others have other copies of this stamp with other pieces of the selvage legend... Please could you add your pieces if you get any?
Perhaps we might be told a little more about this wonderful stamp? Anything with a skull and crossed bones gets my vote!
Thanks for this lovely little bonus!

You lucky bugger! Any chance of listing a photo of it? :mrgreen:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Thu Apr 03, 2014 05:09 pm

I think these stamps will be appearing in the occasional LBE for the foreseeable future.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Murgatroyd » Thu Apr 03, 2014 06:36 pm

Sorry it's not too clear, but it will give you the general idea! I'm afraid I'm really pants at scanning and posting photos!
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:05 pm

I'm truly, madly, deeply jealous!! :mrgreen:
That's a good looking stamp & to quote Monty Python: "you lucky, lucky, bastard"!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Joolz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:42 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:Perhaps we might be told a little more about this wonderful stamp?
Or perhaps we can start speculating?

A official stamp stuck onto a letter by A-MPO after it is confirmed that the letter cannot for one reason or another be delivered and before it is returned to sender or, if no sender can be identified, consigned to the "dead letter bag".
Joolz

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:09 am

Joolz wrote:
Murgatroyd wrote:Perhaps we might be told a little more about this wonderful stamp?
Or perhaps we can start speculating?

A official stamp stuck onto a letter by A-MPO after it is confirmed that the letter cannot for one reason or another be delivered and before it is returned to sender or, if no sender can be identified, consigned to the "dead letter bag".

:D
I wonder what the Death of Letters would look like? A bottle of tippex perhaps, a 'Return to Sender' stamp, or maybe a deranged Yorkshire Terror that chews them up and stuffs the phlegm covered remnants into the darkest, foetid, unspeakable recesses of the dreaded Dog Bed? :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Personally I'd have thought it looked like Outlook, or some similar email client ;)
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Karenjo » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:19 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:Image

Sorry it's not too clear, but it will give you the general idea! I'm afraid I'm really pants at scanning and posting photos!

Oh WOW that is a beautiful stamp! I will be keeping my fingers and toes crossed that I manage to get one
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" Oscar Wilde
Karenjo

Postby Frank the Younger » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Got one of these this morning in 5 LBEs my dad bought me for my birthday (62 today, me not dad) Also 3 sports as well.

So far in 20 The 'It Came From Uberwald' LBEs got 14 sports :-)
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Joolz » Fri Apr 11, 2014 01:43 pm

By the by, should the "Dead Letter" be categorised as a stamp or more of a label? It doesn't have a postage value so perhaps it is more of a postal label that would be attached by A-MPO staff to indicate an official internal administrative designation of the letter as a "dead letter", so perhaps both undeliverable and unreturnable.
Joolz

Postby steeljam » Fri Apr 11, 2014 01:53 pm

Joolz wrote:By the by, should the "Dead Letter" be categorised as a stamp or more of a label? It doesn't have a postage value so perhaps it is more of a postal label that would be attached by A-MPO staff to indicate an official internal administrative designation of the letter as a "dead letter", so perhaps both undeliverable and unreturnable.
I'm treating it as a label.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Joolz » Fri Apr 11, 2014 02:40 pm

steeljam wrote:
Joolz wrote:By the by, should the "Dead Letter" be categorised as a stamp or more of a label? It doesn't have a postage value so perhaps it is more of a postal label that would be attached by A-MPO staff to indicate an official internal administrative designation of the letter as a "dead letter", so perhaps both undeliverable and unreturnable.
I'm treating it as a label.
Thanks, Steve. Sounds right to me. :thumbr:
Joolz

Postby steeljam » Sat Apr 12, 2014 05:10 pm

I think the wording in the selvage will confirm that it is a label
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Apr 12, 2014 05:23 pm

steeljam wrote:I think the wording in the selvage will confirm that it is a label

:mrgreen: :bounce: I soooooooo WANT ONE of those! :mrgreen: :bounce:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Next

Return to The Stamps