A Day In The Life.
The last verse goes:
' I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.'
etc...

I reckon that after ten years of making holes in millions of bits of sticky paper we have enough holes to fill The Albert Hall, The O2 arena and probably The Renalto Ball Room, Yeovil. That's a lot of holes and a lot of sticky bits of paper, a decade of perforations in fact.

The beginning of all this is well known, Terry still has the hat and I still have the mental scars from the memory of the antique perforator at the Bath Postal Museum seizing up with unaccustomed use. That day in July the room was stifling, crowded and frenetic, there were reporters, cameras and visitors crowding over what we were doing. There had been no rehearsal and Terry was to put it mildly, a tad on edge with me as he was the one wearing a tall hat and a reputation.

Afterwards we slipped off for a drink and we talked about the stamps, we sort of thought we might get a year to eighteen months out of them, sort of, he still reminds me of this even now. And now here we are in July 2014 and it’s a decade of creating miniature works of art which record the geography and history of Discworld . It has been a fascinating journey and Isobel and I have met some very splendid and interesting people on the way. From those first simple stamps designed with the help of Colin Edwards and Alan Batley to the highly sophisticated images now created by Ian and printed here in Somerset, we have explored many strange byways of philatelic design and print.

The one common – actually not 'common' at all – denominator has been the collectors. From that very first frantic rush of the early LBE's it has been you the collector who has become a friend and sometime not so silent partner in the whole wonderful enterprise. Ten years ago I could have not envisaged just how far our stamps have developed and prospered. Even five years ago I could not have imagined that there was so much more that could be done with the design and printing of our sweet Cinderellas.

Now I look at what Ian and Reb create and the care they put in to every aspect of our Discworld Stamps and I am hugely proud of what Isobel and I started and they now continue with such skill and enthusiasm. So to them and very especially to you who by your loyal collecting, sometimes I must say accompanied by a really nit-picking attention to detail and fearsome expertise in all things 'stampy' I say,
Thank You. Thank you one and all.
Bernard & Isobel
Now bugger off and look at what Ian & Reb have done for you all - swines before pearls I say - but who listens to an old fart in his shed any-more!
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=01471119e304db95ae2686a94&id=46a0ed3ed6
Bernard the Stout
Cunning Artificer

Re: Ten years of you sods

Postby Karenjo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 07:16 pm

Thank you all at the Emporium, it's been a pleasure collecting those lovely little stamps! :)
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" Oscar Wilde
Karenjo

Postby phalarope » Mon Jul 07, 2014 07:40 pm

Dear Bernard, Isobel, Ian, & Reb (and Colin and Alan in absentia):

I never imagined when I first read Going Postal and saw the stamp images at the beginning of chapters that they actually existed. A casual mention to a UK stamp dealer (Ian Billings in Dereham if any of you lot know of him) of an intent to created a faux philatelic exhibit using xeroxed images from the book elicited a comment that, "You can buy the real things you know", and a linky to THE SHOP. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! As Bernard has said before - it was like getting hooked on crack! :oops:

Oh what a delightful journey it's been since, particularly the re-discovery of people who answer their own phone (and the discovery that trans-Atlantic phone calls are actually pretty cheap), and truly care that their customers are happy. Meeting Bernard and Isobel in Tempe was second only to meeting the Creator himself. Ian and Reb are an ubelievable load of fun to be with, too.

You have added to my pleasure in Discworld immeasurably, and re-kindled and interest in philately that was fast fading. I now have an exhibit that, with it's nearly all black material and extremely subtile differences in the design of each stamp, rivals in esoterica the most eye-numbing display of Maryland wine tax stamps. :P :lol: :lol: Oh, and I've won prizes with it. :wink: :bounce:

I'm waiting with bated breath for the Moist sheet. Keep up the fabulous work!

Loads of hugs and love -
Carol
Last edited by phalarope on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Muba » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:23 pm

Discworld Stamps reinvigourated my interest in stamp collecting. Like Carol I read about the stamps in Going Postal, and saw the pictures of them on the book cover and decided there and then I wanted to own a set. Google came to my rescue, and I was smitten with the items on offer. Here were not only great stamps, bringing the stories to life courtesy the dream team of Alan Batley and Colin Edwards, but the fun element was present in every item. Who could resist?
So thank you Bernard and Isobel for starting the ball rolling, and Ian and Reb for continuing to innovate, and all those involved over the years (too many to mention, but I must give Hilary a mention for her largely uncredited work on a number of issues).
I await what may appear in the 25th anniversary LBEs
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Squigglyx » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:27 am

Bernard the Stout wrote:' I read the news today oh boy
etc...

Blackburn Lancashire otherwise known as home....
.... and we still have to count the holes on the last Wednesday of every month. Any variance from the requisite four thousand has to be remedied as quickly as possible either by filling in the excess or by digging new ones :D.
Squigglyx

Postby Darren » Wed Jul 09, 2014 01:15 pm

Personally I'm wondering how many boxes of baccie have changed hands in the last decade as, ahem, payment...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Murgatroyd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 01:24 pm

As many of you know I only started collecting at the end of 2009, but it's been a wonderful ride filling up the empty spaces in my albums... It's given me a huge amount of pleasure through some difficult years.
My thanks to Terry and Bernard, to Isobel, and to Ian and Reb. Thanks are also well due to Colin, Alan, and Hilary and the many others who added their creativity and expertise to creating the Discworld stamp collection.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby steeljam » Wed Jul 09, 2014 03:41 pm

Squigglyx wrote:
Bernard the Stout wrote:' I read the news today oh boy
etc...

Blackburn Lancashire otherwise known as home....
.... and we still have to count the holes on the last Wednesday of every month. Any variance from the requisite four thousand has to be remedied as quickly as possible either by filling in the excess or by digging new ones :D.

A sheet of standard stamps, such as the Theives' Guild, and Sto Helit Susan stamps weights about 5 grams (80gsm) and the resulting perforations (around 1935 of them) weighs in at 0.001205996 grams and around 152 cublic millimeters which is
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Pip » Wed Jul 09, 2014 08:15 pm

Happy 10th birthday to all involved and a massive thank you for bringing us all so much pleasure and of course frustration and stress. Your hard work is much appreciated!
:D
Pip

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Jul 09, 2014 08:58 pm

Happy Birthday to all you mad buggers at the Emporium and thank you for providing a (mostly) harmless hobby to obsess over.......just think if we didn't have these wonderful stamps to occupy ourselves with, we'd all be out terrorising the village :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Return to The Stamps