Discworld

On the Owlswick Post Office Red forgeries

General Stamp discussion.

On the Owlswick Post Office Red forgeries

Postby Kelshandra » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:52 pm

Bear in mind, I only have the images on Steve's fantastic Stamp Catalogue to go by, but am I right in saying that the forgery is based on the first, lower resolution version of the AM Post Office Red? And that the main difference (that I can see, anyway) is that the post office motto is more widely spaced on the forgery vs the real stamp? Enquiring minds are writing in certain stamp yearbooks...

Of course if anyone would like to send me a set of the forgeries so I can compare in person, I wouldn't say no 8)
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Re: On the Owlswick Post Office Red forgeries

Postby steeljam » Fri Jul 11, 2014 09:32 am

Well there must have been a reason the forgery was discovered.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Muba » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:14 am

The quickest way to spot the completed forgery is a byproduct of the extended motto - there is less white space at the end of the line. I wonder how much redrawing of this stamp was done. Colin and Alan were quite meticulous in their work and weren't Owlswick's forgeries actually sharper than the originals?
You cannot compare the forgeries to the Enschede printed common machine perfed half pennies because the Enschede prints are top notch - they are security printers for governmental work. But a comparison against the Wincanton and Bath perfed stamps is. Those and the forgeries were peinted by similar means. I would suggest that the forgeries are sharper than the in-house produced half-pennies.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Jul 11, 2014 09:33 pm

steeljam wrote:Well there must have been a reason the forgery was discovered.

Not necessarily. In Making Money, he was only discovered to be forging them because the Watch broke down his door and discovered the half made sheets hanging up to dry.
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Jul 11, 2014 09:38 pm

Muba wrote:The quickest way to spot the completed forgery is a byproduct of the extended motto - there is less white space at the end of the line. I wonder how much redrawing of this stamp was done. Colin and Alan were quite meticulous in their work and weren't Owlswick's forgeries actually sharper than the originals?
You cannot compare the forgeries to the Enschede printed common machine perfed half pennies because the Enschede prints are top notch - they are security printers for governmental work. But a comparison against the Wincanton and Bath perfed stamps is. Those and the forgeries were peinted by similar means. I would suggest that the forgeries are sharper than the in-house produced half-pennies.

I'd love to see a side by side high resolution scan of a full forgery with both real versions (or y'know, having all three in my collection, but I can work out which is more likely :mrgreen: )

I'd also love to know just how the Owlswicks were made- clearly they were not just 'take real image and photoshop out bits'. I'll need a Tardis or a magic wand...
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Return to The Stamps