Discworld

How Do You Collect Yours

General Stamp discussion.

How Do You Collect Yours

Postby Drayax » Sat Jul 12, 2014 03:41 pm

So now I've been collecting a few months I've been thinking if I'm going about this the right way. So far I've been relying solely on LBE's to get the stamps I want, so while getting the stamps from that release is a certainty, I'm leaving it entirely down to luck to getting the sports from the current range. However it occurred to me that I spend more money on a new LBE release than I would buying the sheets from the new stamps in that release. Then I could either collect the sheets or break them up for the common and sport and trade the rest for GCTS'.

What do you fine people think? How do you go about collecting your discworld stamps?
"It's only stamps, sir. I mean there's no law against stamps..." - Cheery Littlebottom.
Drayax

Re: How Do You Collect Yours

Postby Frank the Younger » Sat Jul 12, 2014 04:23 pm

I get LBEs and sheets but I have never broken a sheet. I just buy lots of LBEs and swap the spares.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby the_apprentice » Sat Jul 12, 2014 05:06 pm

I'm very pleased to say that it looks like we may have quite a few new collectors from the recent release, hopefully a few of them will find their way here. I have received about 20 emails asking advice on this subject, on how to get started and how to theme a collection - some seem interested in guilds, others characters etc.
When I'm designing the stamps schedule I do my best to get a mix that will appeal to all tastes. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say. I tend to design in blocks of 4-5 issues if I can. I'd like to feature more main characters in the second half of the year. It's not always possible - someone like Nobby will likely never make it onto a stamp, just as the local bobby here won't, but that doesn't mean Vimes won't, for example. It was a joy to finally use Moist. We've actually been saving him for a special occasion for some long time now. I'm also looking at featuring some of the clubs and societies of A-M. I'm saving some of the forn part until we've completed the upcoming 'atlas'.

What I'm most interested in hearing about is the specialities of your collections. Design wise I know there are a lot of folk who like the traditional line work of Edwardian stamps. I know lazzagami and a few other like corners, so I may try a few interesting sheet layouts. A lot of you like interesting print techniques (defo some of those in the pipeline!). I know some folk like colour variants (like the penny moist). Some like little sets (like the explorers a few years back)... So other than the subject matter, what floats your boats folks? What excites you about a new issue that you think will add to your specific interest?

Any feedback would be gratefully received, so long as all involved agree and approve the designs, I'll try and incorporate as much feedback as I can in the coming issues. I can't always adhere to specific requests, we have a lot to balance... (E.g. If every new stamp is a high value issue, LBE mixes become hard to get right.)... But where I can, I'll do my best to keep it in mind.

Cheers all, essay over :)
the_apprentice

Postby Murgatroyd » Sat Jul 12, 2014 05:48 pm

I really like the direction that DW Stamp design has taken recently! Using metal foil, and embossing, as well as the golden Moists, (especially one of them. Grrrr), bodes well for more surprises!
Now as to new stamps and series, as you said, the forthcoming Atlas will be a source of many wonderful stamp concepts for foreign parts. But I also recall some mention of a DW bestiary?
Now this would be an opportunity for a series of stamps depicting the strange, magical, and in some cases rapidly declining flora and fauna of the DW! This would be a wonderful chance to use some of the new printing techniques that T&S have recently developed to imaginative effect!

And perhaps it might be time to trial Splugget and Flunge after all?

Drayax, if you want the sports badly enough, then it makes perfect sense to buy the sheet and remove it. Then using the remaining commons for CGTS also makes sense.
Some board members will take multiple copies of each LBE that comes out, but the desirability of any given LBE issue is based on the scarcity of it's potential contents. Sometimes a stamp comes out, which has a sport, but is not available to buy by the sheet, (or or in some cases the sport is printed separately from the sheet, like the Gamblers guild sport) . The only way of getting one of those sports is to buy lots of LBE's and hope for the best. if you fail, the chances of there being any of those LBE's left to try again with are very low. With the 10th Birthday LBE, there were a number of wonderful prizes, and so between the two release times they sold out in under three minutes I believe.
If you miss out on a sport like that you will have to pay up for one in a private sale... seldom a inexpensive option.

On the other hand, if you buy a spare sheet, just because you want the sport, Why actually tear up the sheet? You know you have a spare sheet with the sport on... I have several venerable spare sheets, like the 1st withdrawn issues of the thieves guild 4p and 6p sheets. I know I have two sheets, and thus a spare sport, but I feel strangely apprehensive about destroying a couple of very collectible sheets, just to gut them for their sports.

Finally, there's the joy of opening all those wonderful LBE's. It's always a special moment, where I settle down with my albums, bags, and stock list, because like Mrs Gump says "You never know what you're gonna get".
Last edited by Murgatroyd on Mon Jul 14, 2014 03:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Drayax » Sat Jul 12, 2014 06:41 pm

I must admit opening the LBE's probably gives as much as, if not more joy, than the contents themselves. Brings back memories of football sticker packs and later (dare I admit) pokemon cards. So I'll always be buying those. My biggest problem is being a completionist on a budget. It is very likely that I will be venturing into the realms of complete sheets and knowing me I probably wouldn't want yo break them up afterwards.

Being a particular fan of discworld goblins, and seeing as they have been growing as race in ankh morpork over the last few books, it would be nice to see an issue celebrating them.
"It's only stamps, sir. I mean there's no law against stamps..." - Cheery Littlebottom.
Drayax

Postby phalarope » Sat Jul 12, 2014 08:40 pm

I have a (OK several) Season Tickets, and I usually buy a few more LBEs for each issue, especially of there is a stamp where the only way to obtain a sport is in an LBE.

For stamps with the sport on the sheet, I hope for the sport in an LBE until that stamp is put on the Endangered List. Then I buy the sheet to get the sport. Currently using that strategy in hopes of a Bloodaxe and Ironhammer sport.

I haven't ever broken a sheet for the sport, and have usually been able to buy or trade for the sport later.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Sun Jul 13, 2014 07:56 am

Oook!

I started collecting in 2009, and right away I decided to go for the sheets - not only because of (almost always) guaranteeing having the sport, but also because I'm fascinated by the selvedge.

Things like the Koom Valley stamps, where sometimes you get an axe or a club along the side, or the old Bonk Red Bat where the "color test" was done with wolf-heads. You get that "behind the scenes at Teemer & Spools" feeling with things like that which really bring the stamps to life for me.

I still think that golems deserve a whole series to showcase specific golems - Dorfl "the First Emacipated Golem" or "Founder of the Golem Trust", Anghamarad "the Earliest Known Postman", Gladis "the First Female Golem" and so on. (Sorry to say, but the picture on the current Golem Trust stamp looks to me more like a beige troll than a golem. *Going to duck under my desk now*)
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Drayax » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:08 pm

You're making me want to start collecting sheets :p my bank account might have something to say about that.

I must admit my favourite stamps that ive come across have been sets with similar designs. Things like the explorers, koom valley and the football stamps. I also really like the guild stamps, particularly the thieves guild stamps that have been released throughout the years.
Drayax

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Sun Jul 13, 2014 01:51 pm

[quote="Drayax"]You're making me want to start collecting sheets :p my bank account might have something to say about that.
Oook!

My bank account and I have been at odds about this for years! You just have to budget carefully and wear the same clothes until they wear out :lol:
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby phalarope » Sun Jul 13, 2014 06:38 pm

Librarians Apprentice wrote:I'm fascinated by the selvedge.

Things like the Koom Valley stamps, where sometimes you get an axe or a club along the side, or the old Bonk Red Bat where the "color test" was done with wolf-heads. You get that "behind the scenes at Teemer & Spools" feeling with things like that which really bring the stamps to life for me.

Puts fingers in ears and chants La La La La La La . . . Pokes out eye so cannot read the above. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cannot allow myself to think about selvedge - will have to lie down with a cold cloth over my face, AND put my head between my knees. If I paid attention to selvedge I would be bankrupt in less than a week. :shock:

But Yael makes some very cogent arguments. 8)
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Jul 13, 2014 07:49 pm

I also love the stamp series sets, especially foot-the-ball, Koom Valley, Uberwald werewolf, Om, the Guilds, and all the others come to that! :D I only started collecting a few years ago and got a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction from hunting down all the stamps in a particular series either via eBay or with the very kind help of other collectors. I particularly love sets based on characters from the books and would like to see more of these - here's my suggestions:
Sages and Mages
-Sages(great thinkers of the Discworld) e.g. Didactylos, Ly Tin Wheedle, Lu Tze, General Callus Tacticus.......Marietta Cosmopilite :lol:
-Mages (Archchancellors) e.g. Alberto Malich, "Trouter" Hopkins, Cutangle, Weatherwax, Sloman (discoverer of Slood), Preserved Bigger (whose bequest funds 87.4% of UU dinners on condition that UU plays foot-the-ball) and of course Mustrum Ridcully
Kings and Queens of Lancre e.g. King Verence I, King Grünewald, Queen Griminir the Impaler, King Champot, Queen Bemery, Queen Ynci etc
I'm looking forward to stamps linked to the Atlas, but perhaps there could be a series of the Coats of Arms of the great families, especially those mentioned in Feet of Clay.

I am a Discworld flatalist and not a philatelist so I'm not a stickler for Victorian/Edwardian authenticity and adore the ToA's, for example. I look forward to different permutations in the future & perhaps we might see 3 witches or the Hogfather flying over Lancre castle? :wink:

I love the whole lucky-dip nature of the LBE's and the run up to the 10th anniversary LBE was huge fun, stressful but fun! I think the Golden Patrician was genius and hope that you do this on every anniversary - perhaps we could have a Golden ToA next year? Please, please, please!?!??!? The package of potential goodies to be had was really exciting and I think you should do an extra special LBE issue like this at least once a year, especially because it has attracted potential new collectors.

The Penny Moist sheet is beautiful and I bought one for the album and one to be framed and put on the wall (my apologies for the sacrilege!) as it's too gorgeous not to be looked at! I've done the same with the Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons sheet - I love the Warhol-like change of colours. I tend to go for sheets like these or the ones that depict variants or tell a story.

I love sports that echo events in the books e.g. a bit falling off Lancre castle, a dragon up the ToA etc
I prefer to trust to luck to getting sports in LBEs, rather than buying a sheet for the sport as funds are limited. I've probably rambled on too long, so I'll end by saying a heartfelt thank you to all involved in the production of these wonderful little things, including Steve and his holes! :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Return to The Stamps