Discworld

Newcomer to Discworld stamps

General Stamp discussion.

Newcomer to Discworld stamps

Postby steveoftreaclemineroad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 02:20 pm

Hello to all Discworld (and other Multiverse location) residents!

I am new to the world of collecting Discworld stamps, with me first (but by no means last) purchases being the Going Postal 10th Anniversary LBE and special 1 penny Moist sheet. Having opened my LBE, I found I was the lucky winner of a special First Day Cover of Going Postal. In the process of claiming, I phoned the store and was helped by Ian. I had a very enjoyable and informative conversation with some great tips, including using this forum, to get my collecting off the ground.

As a budding Discworld philatelist, if anyone can give any advice or tips to help me out, or just general stamp-based chit-chat, I would love to hear from you, with all ideas and thoughts! :)

Hope to hear from some of you,
SteveOfTreacleMineRoad
SteveOfTreacleMineRoad
steveoftreaclemineroad

Re: Newcomer to Discworld stamps

Postby Murgatroyd » Mon Jul 14, 2014 05:43 pm

Welcome Steve!
Come on in! We're all sane adults here [tries to close door on sounds of hooting and gibbering], Nothing to be afraid of...
So you started with an LBE or several and a sheet of Moists? Way to go. :D
Enjoy the tidy, non intrusive, extremely inexpensive hobby of collecting Discworld stamps! Beloved of spouses and relatives everywhere! Fear not, it will be an interesting and instructive process filling up your albums with the back catalogue issues. Have fun!
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Drayax » Mon Jul 14, 2014 05:44 pm

Hi Steve

Welcome to flately and well done on the FDC win, thats a great place to start :) I've not been long collecting myself (started around February) and I'm already about as hooked as it gets.
Ebay is always a good place to start with the older stamps, I know there is currently someone on there selling a lot of OOP ones.
"It's only stamps, sir. I mean there's no law against stamps..." - Cheery Littlebottom.
Drayax

Postby Vicky4Ecks » Mon Jul 14, 2014 07:39 pm

Welcome to the mad world of flately. I've been collecting since 2009, and I'm still going...It's like a torrid love affair
Vicky4Ecks

Postby steeljam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 08:12 pm

In case you have not yet visited it you can find details of the stamps and other ephemera on the Discworld Stamp Catalogue. It has been built up with help of some of the most knowledgeable collectors.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 08:30 pm

Hi Steve, sounds like you're off to a great start :D Check out the lists other members post in the Stamps section for stamps they are willing to sell or trade.

Also check out http://www.discworldstampcatalogue.co.uk for an absolutely invaluable way of checking which stamps you've got and how many there are still to collect! I started collecting a few years ago and wether you want to concentrate on one stamp series at a time or go year by year, I've found this website to be a godsend! :D
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steveoftreaclemineroad » Tue Jul 15, 2014 08:15 am

Hi all,

thanks for the warm welcomes so far! Some great advice and ideas coming through to help me get going! I can see I will need to take on a second job for all the stamps I will be getting off ebay!!

How do you all "store" your stamps - stamp albums, photo albums? Any advice will be gratefully received!

I already love the Stamp Catalogue. Started printing bits of it out at work this morning so I have a comprehensive copy to keep at home.

Looking through all the stamps I could buy, I feel like a kid on Hogswatch morning! :lol:

SteveOfTreacleMineRoad
SteveOfTreacleMineRoad
steveoftreaclemineroad

Postby Drayax » Tue Jul 15, 2014 09:20 am

I use a stamp stock book. A lot of people like to make their own stamp album (I plan to just haven't gotten around to it yet). There's a stamp mount guide and album pages on the catalogue website to help with this. All my other random bits like courtesy cards and lbe's are currently in a shoebox coz I'm classy like dat
"It's only stamps, sir. I mean there's no law against stamps..." - Cheery Littlebottom.
Drayax

Postby steveoftreaclemineroad » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Thanks Drayax! So do you keep LBE's together - as in, you don't put the stamps from your LBE's into your albums, but keep them separate in their envelopes?

The other thing I wondered - if you get individual stamps that have "bits of edge or corner" attached (not full/complete sheets) do you guys leave them as is, or "tidy them up" by tearing off the excess?

Ta,
SteveOfTreacleMineRoad
SteveOfTreacleMineRoad
steveoftreaclemineroad

Postby Drayax » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Oh no the stamps come out and go in the book, then the empty envelope goes in the shoebox.

I prefer to leave the selvedge on all my spares but the one that goes into the main book I like to have plain. That however is entirely down to personal preference, there aren't really any rules. If you did want an example of one without any selvedge then theres no need to tear it off as its likely you'll get a plain ine in LBE's at some point. The only definite no no I've come across is stamp hinges. Never use stamp hinges.
Drayax

Postby steveoftreaclemineroad » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:52 pm

That's good to know! How do you fix yours?
SteveOfTreacleMineRoad
steveoftreaclemineroad

Postby Drayax » Tue Jul 15, 2014 01:53 pm

Stock books have rows of clear plastic to slip the stamps into. If you're after fixing them to an album page then go for the Hawid stamp mounts. The catalogue website has a list of the sizes to use.
Drayax

Postby steeljam » Tue Jul 15, 2014 03:21 pm

If you don't want to design your own album I have created a basic one.
You can access the album pages on the Catalogue home page. The album is split into year sections in either pdf or word docx format.
If you want to play around with the album you can use the word version and add pictures.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby steveoftreaclemineroad » Wed Jul 16, 2014 06:44 am

steeljam wrote:If you don't want to design your own album I have created a basic one.
You can access the album pages on the Catalogue home page. The album is split into year sections in either pdf or word docx format.
If you want to play around with the album you can use the word version and add pictures.

Hi steeljam. Thanks for this. I have been printing your catalogue, if not for use as an album, at least as a reference for all the stamps I need to track down! :D
SteveOfTreacleMineRoad
steveoftreaclemineroad

Postby phalarope » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:02 pm

I may have either pdfs or Word versions of the 'original' Stanley Howler album pages that were sold by the Shop and subsequently provided free of charge. I think these went through 2008. I've been adding on to them since, though not nearly as creatively. These are biggish files, so may not be emailable. PM me if you are interested and we'll try to work something out.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Next

Return to The Stamps