Discworld

Any reason I shouldn't use blu tac?

General Stamp discussion.

Any reason I shouldn't use blu tac?

Postby gdit » Mon Jul 14, 2014 09:08 pm

Bit of a random one I know, basically I've finally got round to vaguely grouping my stamps and want to start mounting them and putting pages together. However through a mixture of not having all the stamps I'd want to put on the same page, not really following exactly what anyone else is doing, and general aesthetic uncertainty on my part; I was thinking of getting the mounts cut up and then simply blu-tacing the mount to where I like it and then readjusting when I get more stamps for that page until I get all the ones I want for that page at which point I can try out an arrangement and leave it for awhile until I'm 100% certain that I'm happy with that layout. The few potential pages I have so far I keep changing my mind on whether or not I like the layout, so this would give me a chance to display them instead of keeping them huddled together in plastic envelopes according to year, but still allow me to change my mind. However I just wanted to check the blu-tac won't damage anything as I know about the risk of damage to stamps if handling by hand and wanted to make sure there wasn't anything similar. Just to clarify, the blutac wouldn't go on the stamps. The stamps would go in the mounts and the mounts would be blu-taced to the stamp album page. Can anyone think of any reasons I shouldn't do this?

Once I have all stamps for a page and have been happy with the layout for several days without changing my mind then I would finally permantly mount them into place in the proper way without blu-tac.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge or advice. :D
gdit

Re: Any reason I shouldn't use blu tac?

Postby Kelshandra » Mon Jul 14, 2014 09:26 pm

The biggest issue that I can see is that over time Bluetac often leaves a greasy residue. It shouldn't affect your stamps if they are in mounts, but it may mark the page underneath. If we are talking a day or two, that may not matter. If you leave the page for a long time just waiting for 'The Stamp' to finish it off, that might be another matter.
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby gdit » Wed Jul 16, 2014 05:27 pm

Thanks, I suspected as much but always a good idea to check. Guess I'll just have to become more decisive then, and maybe focus on tracking down stamps that are near to having the full set so I can mount them quicker. Rather than my current technique of getting whatever I see that I like and can afford :)
gdit

Postby Kelshandra » Wed Jul 16, 2014 08:33 pm

You could also use a common stamp as a filler for a sport if you know what you are waiting for. That way you can leave a suitable gap.
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby phalarope » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:58 am

You can also lift Hawid mounts from the paper if you have been very careful about how you put them on in the first place. You will need an Exacto knife or similar thin blade. Using a damp cotton swab, touch the wet swab to one point on the mount adhesive. Don't smear or flood the area, just get it damp enough to stick. When you are ready to lift the mount, gently pull it upwards and loosen the adhesive with the Exacto knife. Ofteh it will just pop up. I use split-back Showgard mounts, so I can reuse the same mount by turning it 180 degrees and moistening the other - unused - half of the back.

Another strategy I've used for layout is to snag the stamp images from the catalog and use them to generate a layout. Make them 1-2 mm smaller than the actual size of the stamp, then when you acqire the real thing you can cover up the image with the mounted stamp (this is what many traditional philatelic albums do).
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby steveoftreaclemineroad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 04:57 pm

As I am also building my own collection up now, I will be looking to put an album of some description together. From what I can tell, lots of you use and recommend Hawid mounts. As a total "green horn" can anyone help - how do these mounts work? And how and what do you then affix them to?

Thanks all! :-)
SteveOfTreacleMineRoad
steveoftreaclemineroad

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Jul 18, 2014 09:20 pm

I like the Hawid mounts as I could (a) buy them here in Australia in a stamp shop (not an inconsiderate point in the early days) and B) they come in nice long strips that I can cut to size. This is particularly useful as a lot of DW stamps are not really standard sizes (TOA, I'm looking at you!).

They are essentially plastic folders for stamps. They are joined on one side and the other side is open. One side is clear (they tried black on both sides but the line wasn't popular for some reason :clown: ), and the other side is either black or clear, depending on type, and has a slightly thicker plastic with adhesive on the back. You can dampen this adhesive and use it that way but I prefer to use a removable glue.

Originally I bought a mixed width pack (I actually have two as I bought a clear back set first, but then a black back set as I perfer that for most stamps with my current album set up). I'm now at the point where I really need to start buying a few more- the very wide and medium widths need replacing so if you wanted to buy only one width, I'd say go bigger. You can always cut a wide width down, but you can't make a narrow width wider.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Return to The Stamps