Discworld

DIY stamp mounts.

General Stamp discussion.

DIY stamp mounts.

Postby Kirsteen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Hey all, I've been thinking of ideas to get started with my first album. Since I love all sorts of crafts and I'm planning on creating as much of the project myself as possible (apart from the stamps ofc!), has anyone seen/heard of diy stamp mounts? Materials to use/methods etc. I've had a gander through the wonders of the web but can't seem to find anything at all. It seems the mounts will need to be bought.

Any info/ideas/pointers would be fab.
Kirsteen

Re: DIY stamp mounts.

Postby phalarope » Fri Jul 25, 2014 08:18 pm

Hi Kirsteen! I'm intrigued why you would want the hassle of making your own mounts, whose purpose is to protect your stamps. They are too precious and fragile to risk damaging with tape and other adhesive horrors, when mounts carefully manufactured from suitable materials are there for the asking. If you want decorative borders and such, use a purchased mount to protect the stamp and place your border-thingy over the mount. If destruction of the stamp is part of the display mechanism (scrapbooking, papier mache, the 3-D stamps similar to what Kel makes) then you don't need mounts to protect them. Or am I missing something? (I'm a tradithional Flatelitht, and the idea of using stamps in crafts freaks me out, but I realize others have different views - and I've bought a couple of Kel's creations in the past :wink: ).
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Kirsteen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi Phalarope, thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't want to damage the stamps in any way so using tapes/glues etc would be out of the question! I would be heartbroken to witness anything like that. I was just more curious as to whether anyone had heard of any guides to making 'homemade' stamp mounts (that would be safe and not cause any damage ofc!) and if so, what types of plastic could be used that wouldn't deteriorate over time. I had a feeling no such thing would exist but wanted to find out before I started on the album.

Admittedly Kel's 3D stamps are beautiful and I have been tempted to try it myself but don't have the guts! Ha! :)
Kirsteen

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:46 pm

The only thing I could think would MAYBE work if you were absolutely set on it would be to experiment with plastic pockets (as I am fairly certain by memory that they are made of a preservation friendly plastic) and either glue or, if possible, a heat seal. But frankly, I think this is one of those cases where it is more trouble than it is worth. Stamp mounts are not that expensive, are known to be safe and are strong. I think anything home made has the risk of long term damage to the stamp or not lasting (not belittling your skills here, just basing this on what I know about glues and plastics).
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Kirsteen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:59 pm

Hey Kel. Yeah I thought it would be too risky too. Probably not worth the possible consequences.
Kirsteen

Postby Frank the Younger » Sat Jul 26, 2014 01:26 pm

Kelshandra wrote: Stamp mounts are not that expensive

That depends, Frank the Elder bought 2000+ Bulgarian stamps for £21.00 the mounts cost over £120. He was slightly miffed. :-)
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Jul 26, 2014 08:26 pm

OK, they are not that expensive if one is moderate in ones needs. :D For instance, of the stamp years I've been collecting in, I"ve got one common and one sport of each stamp. Even allowing for a few extra here and there (franks, mis perfs, etc) that still means I'm using the same two mixed size packs of Hawid mounts and are only now needing to consider buying some more of a few sizes.
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby steeljam » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:16 pm

I have found that the Forgefix Oval Lost Head Nail is great for permanently fixing stamps.
Velocity Velocity Multi-Use Screws 4 x 16mm are good for temporary fixtures.
I suggest you avoid No More Nails as it gets everywhere and you can easily end out being stuck to the ceiling with a favourite sport.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Jul 27, 2014 09:36 am

steeljam wrote:I have found that the Forgefix Oval Lost Head Nail is great for permanently fixing stamps.
Velocity Velocity Multi-Use Screws 4 x 16mm are good for temporary fixtures.
I suggest you avoid No More Nails as it gets everywhere and you can easily end out being stuck to the ceiling with a favourite sport.

:lol:
I wonder if The Librarian uses Gorilla Glue? :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Return to The Stamps