Discworld

New to all this

General Stamp discussion.

New to all this

Postby Fatmalky » Mon Aug 25, 2014 08:42 pm

Hi there I am new to this forum as well as stamps. I have been reading the discworld books for years and love them. I have just purchased my first lbe. I was wondering is there is any tips for complete nubs that I should know?
Fatmalky

Re: New to all this

Postby steveoftreaclemineroad » Tue Aug 26, 2014 07:18 am

Take out a bank loan - acquiring new stamps is addictive! :lol:
SteveOfTreacleMineRoad
steveoftreaclemineroad

Postby Kelshandra » Tue Aug 26, 2014 08:18 am

Heh, true. Seriously though, the end of the day, the important thing is that you have fun and enjoy yourself!
Steve's absolutely bloody fantastic stamp catalogue is the first port of call to see just what you have in your LBE (and what you don't have- that's where the diminishing bank balance can come in!).

The trading forums are good places to go if you want to get anything- just PM the person who has something you would like and you can either trade for stamps or money by mutual agreement. Read the forums and feel free to ask anything you like. Usually there is someone kicking around who can offer a bit of advice or you might be the first to discover something new and have the honour and glory that goes with that :P
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Muba » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:15 pm

More advice (from a few years ago now) - exercise the P word. Patience is the key. Take your time.
If 'It all comes to those who wait' is ever true, then it applies to DW stamps.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby phalarope » Tue Aug 26, 2014 01:06 pm

You will soon want to store your precious little bits of sticky paper properly. Eschew hinges - hinges are an Abomination Unto Nuggan. Use proper mounts - Hawid, Showgard, Prinz (see Murgatroyd's guide to mounts link in Steeljam's catalog). At the very least, put them into stockbook pages. At the best, make an album. Kel has some wonderful pages, I used the original Stanley Howler pages and continue to add to them (links to the 2 original albums are somewhere in the Stamps thread, IIRC), I think Wilfred made pages some time ago, or design your own. And the LBEs themselves are collectible. I have mine in philatelic cover pages in an album (and the extras are in a shoebox, shhhh!)
Last edited by phalarope on Tue Aug 26, 2014 01:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Fatmalky » Tue Aug 26, 2014 01:12 pm

Thanks for the tips. I am going to try and not rush into baying to many stamps at one as I don't that for my steelbook collection and completed it in less than a year. So patience will be a test for me.

I am lucky my wife is a collector ( not of discworld) so when the bank balance drops she will understand. :D

I was wondering that deal is with the franked stamps. I have seen a few on eBay stating franked/ partially franked. Does this make them more or less desirable?

One more thing ( I know I am a complete noob sorry) what makes a stamp a sport is it just a difference from the common?

Edit.
Was going to ask about storage. So thanks
Fatmalky

Postby Muba » Tue Aug 26, 2014 01:36 pm

Fatmalky wrote: I was wondering that deal is with the franked stamps. I have seen a few on eBay stating franked/ partially franked. Does this make them more or less desirable?

Depends on the collector. If nicely done and complete then probably yes. But its all a case of how far you want to take the hobby.

Fatmalky wrote:One more thing ( I know I am a complete noob sorry) what makes a stamp a sport is it just a difference from the common?

In one sentence a sport is a stamp that has a deliberate design difference from the majority of the same stamps, while some may point out that is a touch of DW magic playing with the printing process on some stamps.

Usually there is one per sheet but occasionally they may be printed as a separate sheet and that is divided up.
Last edited by Muba on Tue Aug 26, 2014 02:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby phalarope » Tue Aug 26, 2014 01:40 pm

Fatmalky wrote:I was wondering that deal is with the franked stamps. I have seen a few on eBay stating franked/ partially franked. Does this make them more or less desirable?

Franks are a 'thing' unto themselves. Sort of the equivalent of postal historay in traditional philately. They don't make a stamp more valuable, more the contrary. But if you are interested in the different franks that have been used, having one on a stamp is the way to go, unless you want to collect covers (envelopes). I would suggest you stick to the stamps first.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phalarope » Tue Aug 26, 2014 01:48 pm

Fatmalky wrote: what makes a stamp a sport is it just a difference from the common?
What Muba said.

Be aware that a sport is a deliberate production. There are true errors and variants that are collectible as well. Some of those have made it into Steeljam's catalog*; some haven't. Be alert for color* variations, differences in gum, printing goofs that occur widely (the Agatean Half Rhinu bells error, the Unseen Hogswatch Snowball), perforation 'oddities'.

*yes, I am an American - it explains the funny spelling
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Fatmalky » Tue Aug 26, 2014 02:03 pm

Thanks for all the info

I don't think the franked stamps are for me to be honest. I think it covers up the art of the stamp to much.

I'll have a good look through the catalogue. Hopefully some of it will sick :D

You have all be really great thanks
Fatmalky

Postby steeljam » Tue Aug 26, 2014 04:23 pm

Fatmalky wrote:Thanks for all the info
I don't think the franked stamps are for me to be honest. I think it covers up the art of the stamp to much.
I'll have a good look through the catalogue. Hopefully some of it will sick :D
You have all be really great thanks
There was a spate of franked stamps in LBEs. The main problem was that franked stamps could not be submitted for the Green Cabbage Trading Scheme.
The GCTS allows you to return certain stamps for GCTS stamps which can then be exchanged for exciting extras. See the page on the Emporium site for more information.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Fatmalky » Tue Aug 26, 2014 04:33 pm

Oooo thanks for the tip :thumbl:

What is the benefit of purchasing a sheet of stamps over single stamps?
Fatmalky

Postby steeljam » Tue Aug 26, 2014 04:34 pm

If you really want to collect franked stamps - but not by bulk - you could send your stamps to the Emporium with a begging letter explaining how your sick grandmother needs to see a particular frank on the stamp.
Don't expect them back until your next order :D .
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 06:26 pm

Fatmalky wrote:Oooo thanks for the tip :thumbl:

What is the benefit of purchasing a sheet of stamps over single stamps?

The benefits of buying the sheet is that it's often a work of art in itself, with extra artwork, mottos, etc decorating the surrounding selvidge and also the sport is usually included on the sheet, so you kill two birds with one stone as it were.

Plus, it gives you the "Igor option" - splitting it up for spare parts :lol: A quick root around eBay will show you that even the common stamps from the early years are in still in demand from new collectors :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Tue Aug 26, 2014 07:26 pm

Many stamps have the sport on the sheet (and many stamps do not*). If you are close to the end of a stamp's life and do not have the sport, buying the sheet guarantees it. I have been in that situation a few times. And if you are quick about it, the extras from the sheet can go back into the GCTS scheme. You will not obtain a sport by buying single stamps, only in LBEs or sheets.

*I first discovered this when I bought a sheet of Sto Helit 1 Penny Boars, trying to brute force getting the sports, and there was nary a sport on it. Lesson learned.
Last edited by phalarope on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Next

Return to The Stamps