Discworld

New to all this

General Stamp discussion.

Re: New to all this

Postby Muba » Tue Aug 26, 2014 07:37 pm

phalarope wrote:Many stamps have the sport on the sheet (and many stamps do not*).

What she said. Lookout for the words 'sheet sport' and 'LBE only sport'.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Tue Aug 26, 2014 08:36 pm

Oook!

As soon as I discovered Discworld stamps (waaaay back in 2009) I immediately started collecting sheets just so I wouldn't miss out on the sports. And then I discovered that some sports only come as LBE-stuffing or prizes (usually also from an LBE), so I started invisting in Season Tickets.

But seriously, if you pace youself and only get 2 or 3 sheets/covers/extra LBEs a month, you too can wind up with a shelf-full of full albums without having to take out a mortgage (that's 7 stamp stock books, 3 cover albums and 2 postcard-collection-books full of empty LBEs). :thumbr:

phalarope wrote:Many stamps have the sport on the sheet (and many stamps do not*).
*I first discovered this when I bought a sheet of Sto Helit 4p, trying to brute force getting the sports, and there was nary a sport on it. Lesson learned.
When did they take the sport off that sheet?
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Librarians Apprentice

Postby steeljam » Tue Aug 26, 2014 08:57 pm

phalarope wrote:Many stamps have the sport on the sheet (and many stamps do not*). If you are close to the end of a stamp's life and do not have the sport, buying the sheet guarantees it. I have been in that situation a few times. And if you are quick about it, the extras from the sheet can go back into the GCTS scheme. You will not obtain a sport by buying single stamps, only in LBEs or sheets.
I first discovered this when I bought a sheet of Sto Helit 4p, trying to brute force getting the sports, and there was nary a sport on it. Lesson learned.
Row 2 Column 3
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Fatmalky » Tue Aug 26, 2014 08:59 pm

Good to know about the sheets. I will probably pick up the odd one or two. I have been looking at the season ticket for the lbe I guess you get 1 from the next new set until the ticket runs out.
Fatmalky

Postby annebn » Tue Aug 26, 2014 09:26 pm

Fatmalky wrote:Good to know about the sheets. I will probably pick up the odd one or two. I have been looking at the season ticket for the lbe I guess you get 1 from the next new set until the ticket runs out.

Thas right. The best thing about a season ticket is that it guarantees you one of each lbe, also the limited editions, which tend to sell out super fast. It decreases the stress of collecting a bit.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby phalarope » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:37 pm

steeljam wrote:
phalarope wrote:I first discovered this when I bought a sheet of Sto Helit 4p, trying to brute force getting the sports, and there was nary a sport on it.
Row 2 Column 3

Sorry, was at work when I wrote that and didn't look it up in the Catalogue. Original post edited / corrected to Sto Helit 1 Penny Boar.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phalarope » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:38 pm

Season Tickets are excellent. I get 6 at a time. :oops: :P
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Fatmalky » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:29 am

My lbe came today :D I got the man with dog and man with dog sport :D ( the one with out dog is a sport?) the rest I will have to go through and work out what they are. I am so excited :shock:
Fatmalky

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:52 am

Fatmalky wrote:My lbe came today :D I got the man with dog and man with dog sport :D ( the one with out dog is a sport?) the rest I will have to go through and work out what they are. I am so excited :shock:

:D you start off just getting the one LBE, then you think.....just one more can't hurt, so next time you buy two....then three......then four......then you'll be as hooked as the rest of us! :lol: Way to go on getting a sport in your first LBE! :D

We haven't been told the details yet, but apparently September's LBE offering is going to be extra special, so now's the time to go rooting around coat pockets, down the back of the sofa, etc for spare fivers in preparation! :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Fatmalky » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:18 am

It is addictive I have just been looking at my account to see if I could order some more. Thanks for the heads up I'll try and get a season ticket before then. :D
Fatmalky

Postby phalarope » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Fatmalky wrote:It is addictive I

Bernard is on record as admitting it is the equivalent of crack cocaine - only legal and it doesn't ruin your lungs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Fatmalky » Wed Aug 27, 2014 01:00 pm

Ok so I just bought another two lbe with the last of my money. So ye it is addictive can't wait
Fatmalky

Postby phazedout » Wed Aug 27, 2014 08:46 pm

Can I just say I don't collect stamps, many moons ago I got sent an lbe by a kind lady, looked at the pretty bits of paper, then put it away.

I simply collect... everything else.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby phalarope » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:12 pm

It's OK Alan, you are an Honorary Flatelist. :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Karenjo » Thu Aug 28, 2014 05:54 pm

Fatmalky wrote:Hi there I am new to this forum as well as stamps. I have been reading the discworld books for years and love them. I have just purchased my first lbe. I was wondering is there is any tips for complete nubs that I should know?

Welcome to the Club, you are going to love collecting Discworld Stamps, they're so pretty!
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" Oscar Wilde
Karenjo

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps