Discworld

The gem of your collection

General Stamp discussion.

The gem of your collection

Postby Fatmalky » Thu Aug 28, 2014 08:01 pm

This Is a question I like to ask as I have collected a lot of different things through the years and it's always nice to see what other collectors are proude of in their collection. So I was just wondering what stamp is your gem in your collection, the one stamp you would not part with? :shock:
Fatmalky

Re: The gem of your collection

Postby phalarope » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:44 pm

I am partial to the Penny Patricians. I am fortunate enough to have been able to acquire most of them. It is hard to pick a favorite, but I will select the Red-Nosed Patrician today.

I find many of my favorite stamps are so because of how I obtained them, often through the good offices of friends (trade, sale, or outright gift).
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Muba » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 am

If I told you my gem I'd have to kill you
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby phalarope » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:53 am

Did I see it?
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Fatmalky » Fri Aug 29, 2014 07:06 am

I find many of my favorite stamps are so because of how I obtained them, often through the good offices of friends (trade, sale, or outright gift).

This is what I find intresting about gems of a collection it is amazing how most peoples gems are not the rarest ones they have but the ones with the best story behind them or the ones that just call out to that collector
Fatmalky

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:40 am

I'm with Carol on the Patrician with the comic relief red nose - off all the one's I don't have, it's the one I covet the most!

Of the one's I do have, I love the Patrician in the Santa hat but my favourite is the one with the Snowflakes as it's how I first discovered Discworld stamps one Christmas a few years ago -I stumbled on it in an eBay search for snowflakes (I also collect snowflake photographs - check out the work of W.A. Bentley or Kenneth Libbrecht for how beautiful they can be). I won the auction for the snowflake Patrician and the rest as they say is history :D

My most prized sheet of stamps is the "Here be Dragons" sheet as I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it on the website, especially as Guards! Guards! is one on my favourite DW books, but as a new collector at the time it took me ages to collect enough for the required GCTS stamps. I now have two of them - one to keep pristine in the album and one that's been framed and looks beautiful on the wall :sunny: It makes me smile every time I see it and as soon as I find the right frame a I'll do the same with the 10th anniversary Moist sheet :D

Three years, several stuffed stamp albums and a dent in the bank balance later, I am just as hooked as ever!! :D
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:47 am

Similar to Muba, but of the ones I'm allowed to admit to it would have to be the sheet of original green TOAs (which would have to be numbered 3 of 1 if I'm being strict about how many there are, at least that I know about). Although the sheet of the Smoking Gnu 1p stamps would have to come a close second, just for variety and sheer subsersiveness (and for being the first DW cinderella stamp, so a cinderella of a cinderella, at least iirc).
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:53 am

Darren wrote:Similar to Muba, but of the ones I'm allowed to admit to it would have to be the sheet of original green TOAs (which would have to be numbered 3 of 1 if I'm being strict about how many there are, at least that I know about). Although the sheet of the Smoking Gnu 1p stamps would have to come a close second, just for variety and sheer subsersiveness (and for being the first DW cinderella stamp, so a cinderella of a cinderella, at least iirc).

Cor!! :shock: you have a whole sheet of the smoking Gnu?! I am very jealous! :mrgreen:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Fatmalky » Fri Aug 29, 2014 03:17 pm

My most prized sheet of stamps is the "Here be Dragons" sheet as I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it on the website, especially as Guards! Guards! is one on my favourite DW books, but as a new collector at the time it took me ages to collect enough for the required GCTS stamps. I now have two of them - one to keep pristine in the album and one that's been framed and looks beautiful on the wall It makes me smile every time I see it and as soon as I find the right frame a I'll do the same with the 10th anniversary Moist sheet

The here be dragons sheet is one that I really do like but for me the one I want the most would have to be the church of on temple appeal stamps. I love small gods more than any other book I have read so it's the first thing I am aming for :D
Fatmalky

Postby Vicky4Ecks » Fri Aug 29, 2014 04:32 pm

I started collecting in 2010 and have managed to fill a lot of gaps in my collection, but out of all I have so far, the red nosed patrician, smoking gnu sheet and unseen university transformation strips are my favourites, not to mention the giant 50p cabbage stamp and the new 10th birthday moist sheet. Still a lot of gaps though
Vicky4Ecks

Postby Murgatroyd » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:06 pm

I started collecting in 2009, around Hogswatch, so I had an awful lot of gaps in my collection to fill, let alone compete with the venerable collectors who were around at the beginning. I've filled most of the gaps, but there's always a few items left to find.
I think my most prized acquisition was an item that came to me fairly recently.. a perforated full sheet of Green Susans. I only know of one other, (though logic dictates that there will be several more somewhere).
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 am

Fatmalky wrote:
My most prized sheet of stamps is the "Here be Dragons" sheet as I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it on the website, especially as Guards! Guards! is one on my favourite DW books, but as a new collector at the time it took me ages to collect enough for the required GCTS stamps. I now have two of them - one to keep pristine in the album and one that's been framed and looks beautiful on the wall It makes me smile every time I see it and as soon as I find the right frame a I'll do the same with the 10th anniversary Moist sheet

The here be dragons sheet is one that I really do like but for me the one I want the most would have to be the church of on temple appeal stamps. I love small gods more than any other book I have read so it's the first thing I am aming for :D

:shock: I'd forgotten about those! Shame on me! :oops: I'd love to get my hands on the Quisition one Obal rainbow sheet - it's so pretty :D and I've only got the Golden Bull of Om stamps and not the
Sacred Tortoise of Om.....so many gaps still to fill, but that's half the fun!! :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby I.B.Igor » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:42 am

Hmm, mine would have to be a Fully Frank( ed ) Martyn Ransom, if it wasn't for this daft place, stamps and the shop, and Terry writing the books, I wouldn't have my Hubby. :D

His would probably be The blue triangle Sport .
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:I think my most prized acquisition was an item that came to me fairly recently.. a perforated full sheet of Green Susans.

Cor! And an extra helping of blimey! A full sheet, with tête-bêche pairs, sport and everything?!?! You lucky,lucky ba.....person! :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Sat Aug 30, 2014 08:20 pm

I.B.Igor wrote:Hmm, mine would have to be a Fully Frank( ed ) Martyn Ransom, if it wasn't for this daft place, stamps and the shop, and Terry writing the books, I wouldn't have my Hubby. :D
And a diamond he is, too, Jackie!
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Next

Return to The Stamps