Discworld

Oh, the anticipation

General Stamp discussion.

Re: Oh, the anticipation

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Sep 26, 2014 09:08 am

Kelshandra wrote:And can I just say, phew! I'm glad they don't do this very often, my nerves couldn't take it. Give me my nice, gentle, stamp album creating any day!

*wanders off to find a nice bottle of nerve tonic or dried frogs pills*
:lol: :lol: :lol: Is it a bit pervy that I really like the excitement of these limited edition deadlines? :oops: :twisted: :oops: It's kind of like Stamp Fight Club :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Fri Sep 26, 2014 09:11 am

Bugger would not let me log on. Tried lots of times but nothing then suddenly was logged in and Out of Stock!
Alarm set for 6
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Drayax » Fri Sep 26, 2014 09:35 am

Is be interested to find out if these sell out quicker overall than the last limited batch.
"It's only stamps, sir. I mean there's no law against stamps..." - Cheery Littlebottom.
Drayax

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Sep 26, 2014 09:43 am

If anyone missed out on LBEs at 10am, here's my tip for successful LBE hunting at 6pm:

1 - Log on to the shop a good 10 minutes before the deadline
2 - Put your LBE's and anything else you want in your basket
3 - If you want to include any comments with your order, type them out and copy to your clipboard so you can simply paste them in later
4 - Go to the view basket page - it will have a box in red at the top saying that anything marked with a * is out of stock.
5 - Stay on this page!
6 - As the deadline approaches, start clicking your refresh button
7 - Watch the red box - as soon as it disappears, click checkout
8 - Move through checkout as quickly as possible, as your LBEs won't be safe until you've completed payment!

I think I recall Ian saying that the record for completing the checkout process for the 10th Anniversary LBEs was 13.5 seconds!! I wonder if anyone beat that this time round? :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Frank the Younger » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:18 am

Grace Speaker wrote:If anyone missed out on LBEs at 10am, here's my tip for successful LBE hunting at 6pm:

3 - If you want to include any comments with your order, type them out and copy to your clipboard so you can simply paste them in later
4 - Go to the view basket page - it will have a box in red at the top saying that anything marked with a * is out of stock.
5 - Stay on this page!
8 - Move through checkout as quickly as possible, as your LBEs won't be safe until you've completed payment!

I think I recall Ian saying that the record for completing the checkout process for the 10th Anniversary LBEs was 13.5 seconds!! I wonder if anyone beat that this time round? :wink:

don't do 3 send them an email after
combine 6 & 7 click on checkout button

Does anyone know at which part of 8 the sale is fixed? when finished on the emprioum page or after the payment screen (visa in my case)?
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby steeljam » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:25 am

I would love a Remember Me button similar to most web sites so I didn't have to log on every time I visit.
I have an additional problem; after logging on 5 items are automatically added to my cart to the value of £83 which I have to remove. It forgets any other items I previously added to my cart.
I have deleted all the cookies but to no avail. These items keep popping up!
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Statsman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:35 am

Get something similar on items being added although just one for 0 cost although as I already have the item I don't want it again :?
Yes it will be in this brown envelope, I know it will.... Oh maybe not
Statsman

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:25 am

Statsman wrote:Get something similar on items being added although just one for 0 cost although as I already have the item I don't want it again :?

Same here - I always get a Ffeyrling stamp added to my basket, but for £0 cost so I don't bother to remove it anymore - it's been happening for at least 1 year. Also, it doesn't remember any items in my basket once I log off - it used to, but doesn't anymore. Grrrrr!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:28 am

Frank the Younger wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:If anyone missed out on LBEs at 10am, here's my tip for successful LBE hunting at 6pm:

5 - Stay on this page!

don't do 3 send them an email after
combine 6 & 7 click on checkout button

Does anyone know at which part of 8 the sale is fixed? when finished on the emprioum page or after the payment screen (visa in my case)?

From what Ian has said in the past, I think the sale is only fixed after you have completed payment
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby the_apprentice » Fri Sep 26, 2014 05:14 pm

Phew... Stamp collectors are a lot more sedate in the afternoon. Just about 10 minutes on the dot to sell out this eve. Thank you one and all. We will be packing and sending your orders from Monday morning, good luck and happy stamping!
the_apprentice

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Sep 26, 2014 07:53 pm

What! All that stress and fuss and you won't even get them off until after the weekend! It's not good enough you know. I expect turn around as fast as those LBE wotsits sell out for that amount of stress!

I kid! I kid! :mrgreen:
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby steeljam » Fri Sep 26, 2014 08:06 pm

I think was having to stay up till midnight. Poor dears are exhausted.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby jonty » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:50 pm

Bugger! missed this one completely was at work for both issues and no PC or internet access, thank God for the season ticket LBE
.Life is a sexually transmitted disease and there is a 100% mortality rate. ~R.D. Laing
jonty

Postby Reb » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:00 am

Just to address aforementioned site issues and reappearing basket items...

We've been running a very old version of our store 'back end' since or last site revamp, so there aren't as many bells and whistles as sites using newer cart software sure, but without a dedicated in-house programmer, and not a lot of us to go around, we've been happy to muddle along with it until recently. We are now at a stage where, with an ever increasing customer base, our current set up just won't cut the proverbial mustard.
The age of the software, and hacked-up coding has caused quirks such as limited functionality and reappearing basket items. We've created workarounds such as causing items to be marked as £0.00 after a certain amount of time to prevent customers unwittingly re-purchasing these items, but these are only temporary measures. A few months ago we moved our site to a new host and developer and are investing a huge chunk of time and moolah into updating the entire site, inside and out.
We're never going to be Amazon (thank gods), but functionality will be much improved for better user experience. With all our other duties it will take a lot of effort, so we're aiming to commence work in the new year once the madness of Christmas shopping season is over, and while we've a gap between book projects. So please bear with us folks, we know the site has 'winning' ways at the moment, but we are going to fix it, yes we are!
X :thumbr: x
Discworld Emporium
Reb

Postby Statsman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 08:11 am

Reb, I think you'll find they're 'features' rather than 'winning ways'. ;)
Yes it will be in this brown envelope, I know it will.... Oh maybe not
Statsman

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps