Discworld

Translation of Agatean Empire stamp

General Stamp discussion.

Translation of Agatean Empire stamp

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:07 am

The stamp has now drifted off the endangered list, but I was wondering if anyone fully translated the logograms (thanks Steve for teaching me a new word via your catalogue).

I found a FANTASTIC site that will let you draw characters in and it will pull up possible matches. Thanks to it and google translate I've got:

Top left cartouche- 五 Five
Top right 金 Gold

Bottom left side 五年半 Five Half Years
Bottom right side 黑麦新 Black Wheat New (or the first characters together can mean rye)

The middle bottom I don't know. The program I used didn't seem to have the larger of the two characters (at least I didn't see it on the list after drawing multiple times) and I am not sure if I can read the smaller properly (and am away so I can't look at the real thing with a magnifying glass). Has anyone already solved the entire mystery? Am I incredibly slow?
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Re: Translation of Agatean Empire stamp

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:15 am

Wait, I think it's just how it's printed. The centre bottom bit reads (I think)
半金

Or, translated 'half gold'

Anyway, I've just had fun, if I'm the last one to the party in discovering this, then oh well! And i don't quite see the link for the bottom right bit, possible mis-translation? Or is there a connection there that I'm not seeing?

Edited to add- and I just realised that Steve's description.

Double edit... and I just said the words rye new outloud. *smacks head* Oh dear, I seem to be a little slow tonight. In my defence, I'm still a little sick and had a big day with my niece and nephews today?
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby steeljam » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:34 am

Kelshandra wrote:The stamp has now drifted off the endangered list, but I was wondering if anyone fully translated the logograms (thanks Steve for teaching me a new word via your catalogue).
I found a FANTASTIC site that will let you draw characters in and it will pull up possible matches. Thanks to it and google translate I've got:

Top left cartouche- 五 Five
Top right 金 Gold
Bottom left side 五年半 Five Half Years
Bottom right side 黑麦新 Black Wheat New (or the first characters together can mean rye)
The middle bottom I don't know. The program I used didn't seem to have the larger of the two characters (at least I didn't see it on the list after drawing multiple times) and I am not sure if I can read the smaller properly (and am away so I can't look at the real thing with a magnifying glass). Has anyone already solved the entire mystery? Am I incredibly slow?

The two symbols in the oval frame are 半 (half) and 金 (gold)
This information is in the Catalogue.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:39 am

Yeah, sorry, my bad. Reading comprehension is clearly not happening tonight :oops:

I'll go to bed now and hope the brain wakes up after some sleep.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Frank the Younger » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:55 am

Kelshandra wrote:The stamp has now drifted off the endangered list

When did it get ON the endangered list?
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:02 am

Frank the Younger wrote:
Kelshandra wrote:The stamp has now drifted off the endangered list

When did it get ON the endangered list?

Thats odd. I saw it onthe endangered list a few weeks ago and last time I checked, a day or so ago it had gone. But it does seem to still be listed in the regional stamp section?
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Return to The Stamps